Altun-Hu w/River Wallace OR City Tour ??

FlaGrl4Evr

We are planning on booking the Altun-Hu tour through our cruise line however there are 2 separate tours offered. One that includes a tour of the city and the other with the River Wallace. We would like to hear from others that have done these tours and some feed back on either the city tour or the River Wallace part of the excrusion.

Thank-you. Cari & Rick :)

Did the Altun Ha and River Wallace through Carnival and loved it. The river trip was great - they pointed out animals and plants, trees, etc along the way and we saw a lot of manatee and dolphins very close to the boat in the last 30 mins.

I would vote hands down for the River Wallace over the city tour. I love cruising down the river and viewing the wildlife along the way. The boat we were on carried about a dozen people and had a covered area for those who needed some shade. I did notice that some of the boats that were doing tours were completely open, which might have been a bit hot in the sun.

Just remember to bring bug repellant with you.

The city tour is okay- you will see plenty of poverty, but I still found the tour interesting, but I enjoyed the river tour much more.

• 2 weeks later...

We were booked for the river wallace and Altun Ha tour, but because of the weather they cancelled the river wallace part and said we could switch to the city tour, so we did....and we regretted it! It was quite possibly the worst shore excursion ever! Our guides were boring and kept telling us to look at things like the hospital and the electric company building....very boring! Altun Ha was not that exciting either, not much to look at and very hot and humid and make sure to take bug spray because mosquitos were bad. Altun Ha would have been the same either way, but wish the weather had been better so we could have done the river wallace as it sounds like others enjoyed that. I was looking forward to seeing the wildlife, like manatee and such. Big BUMMER!!

Just booked the ruins/river tour through Carnival. Can anyone who has been on the river tour comment on what food is available (and pricing info) at the rest stop? Just want to have a general idea of how much $ to bring and if I will be able to find something to eat--I am a picky eater.

Just booked the ruins/river tour through Carnival. Can anyone who has been on the river tour comment on what food is available (and pricing info) at the rest stop? Just want to have a general idea of how much $ to bring and if I will be able to find something to eat--I am a picky eater.

copied from my response on the pros and cons thread:

We stopped at The Black Orchid for lunch. There were two choices for a meal and they were both $8.00. One choice was a chicken or beef cheeseburger and the other choice was a traditional Belizean meal of chicken (a thigh and a drumstick), rice and beans, cole slaw, and fried plantain. We each had the Belizean lunch and it was very delicious. They also have sodas for $2, local beer for $4 and local (cashew) wine for $3. I had a couple beers and DBF got some cashew wine. They also have wine sampling outside the restaurant and some local artists selling their work. We bought a few bottles of wine for $10 each and I got a handmade trivet for $4.

If neither of those options appeal to you you will want to bring some energy bars or something else to eat - the only other food you will run across will be chips and soda at Altun Ha, and that will be at the end of the tour.

Erin

Archived