Back from Alaska aboard the Star

Kruisenut

This was our first time cruis'n NCL and my first time to Alaska.

Let me start by thanking Cruise Critic and all those who join in with all the helpful tips. I was really able to prepare in so many ways for this cruise.

Thanks to all for putting on the meet & greet, nice to meet everyone and make some new friends that continued on throughout the cruise and hopefully through the future.

Cabin Crawl was a good time and nice to get my wife involved early on as she won the poker run and was ready to get the party started!

We started with a nice 1 1/2 hour limo ride to the pier and boarded quickly. We booked the owner's suite ( Van Gogh ) deck 10. This in my opinion was the only way to go on this sailing - Wow - We previously have sailed Princess Onc,e on Carnival and now once on Holland in suites and I have to say Nothing Comes Close. NCL does the suite life so right.

Early on I was looking forward to meeting Simone after reading all the great things everyone had to say and was disapointed when I learned she would not be our cruise. But let me say this, her replacement Patrick was wonderful!! He anticipated our requests, was able to accomadate our every request with a smile. I can't say enough great things about Patrick but Thank you. We did meet up with Andreas and wished him and Simone a happy 6 month aniversary.

Our Butler was Henry and again we were pleasantly supprised by him always there when needed. We hosted happy hour (s) almost every night and Henry was always there with the mixes, ice and appitizers with a smile.

Autoween was our room steward and like earlier posts she was terrific and to hear her sing lighten up the day. She will be moving on to the Epic this summer.

We only had two ports on this sailing starting with Juneau. Did the whale tour with Orca Enterprises along with some of our new friends, nice tour saw a number of whales, eagles and seals.

Ketchikan - took the wife shopping and rented a golf cart for a self guided tour of the town, stopped by Burger Queen for the Must Have Fish Sandwich.

The rest of our cruise was what can I say fantastic, we only saw a few shows but enjoyed what we did. Cagney's was a great perk and we had great meals everywhere ( did not try the buffet ).

We were invided to dine with the Captain, Hotel Director and the Captains second in charge ( sorry forget the proper title ) and a couple from Hawaii that was on their 113th NCL cruise! Great time and conversation - side note to self Becareful not to talk politics with strangers as our new friends from Hawaii son grew up and attended school with our President. Story for anouther day.

Some other highlights were a tour of the bridge, early tour of the chocoholic buffet and enjoying the Officers and Crew that trully made this vacation special.

Miss our new friends already and looking forward to the next one.

OP.. thanks for posting.. We are on the May 22nd sailing as well and in an OS.. Sorry I do not know the name of the one we will be in. Did you hear any construction noise that has recently been reported? Im glad you had a good time onboard the Star.. So far she is our favorite ship.

Glad you enjoyed the Star. We will be on our way to Alaska on the 22nd

WOO HOO..boarding just one week from today.. 8-)

Kruisenut, your report is appreciated! We still have our sights set on sailing to Alaska and perhaps the Star will be the one to take us there! :)

WOO HOO..boarding just one week from today.. 8-)

Terry, an early "Bon Voyage" to you and Doug. Have a great time! Will be looking forward to your review!

OP.. thanks for posting.. We are on the May 22nd sailing as well and in an OS.. Sorry I do not know the name of the one we will be in. Did you hear any construction noise that has recently been reported? Im glad you had a good time onboard the Star.. So far she is our favorite ship. WOO HOO..boarding just one week from today.. 8-)

I echo Terry's thanks for a good post....

My Lee and I stayed in the same OS in which you folks stayed... Truly the OS is the only way to see Alaska.

Terry, the construction noise that people have complained about was the destruction of the proper Spinnaker Lounge on Deck 12... and the movie theater and most of the meeting rooms. They've crammed 46 new cabins onto deck 12.... I just cannot believe it. First, not one of they new cabins has a balcony and they've destroyed the only forward INDOOR viewing area. What do folks do at sailaway in Seattle? It's not like it ever RAINS in SEATTLE! :rolleyes: Also when the ship approaches the glacier--where do the people who don't have an OS or AC (front facing) Penthouse go to see it? ::Shaking Head:: I just don't understand this refit. I can understand if they wanted to retask the omni-empty movie theater and meeting rooms, but how do you justify the removal of the Spinnaker?

On a related note, I spoke with the greatest cruise director in the universe (there was a vote) (I think everyone knows to whom I referring), and he said he endorses and has no problem with what they've done to the Star. So ::shrug:: maybe I'll give it a shot before I start picketing 7665 Corporate Drive in Miami.... Yes that's NCL's headquarters, and yes, I am some kind of something for knowing that off the top of my head.... They just better not do the same thing to the Star's sister, the Dawn.... AKA MY SHIP....

And I Thank you

JWK: Open Minded (HAH, I almost managed to say that with at straight face)

Terry & Doug

Mostly the only noise we heard was durring the trip up the Pacific in rough seas 15 -18 ft. Other than that a little banging and sawing hear and there but nothing that stood out. Please say Hi to Patrick for us and Henry and Autoween if you are on deck 10. We will be thinking of you guys next week & wishing we were back.

Enjoy!

Kurt

Thanks so much for the post, I will also be on May 22 sailing, and this is our first Alaska cruise... have read way too much info and got soo confused with the refurb of the Star was afraid we had made a mistake on the booking.... We are just plain working folks and can not afford OS but are booked in a mini-suite balcony because of CC knew a balcony was a must!!! I know this trip is what you make it and we are looking forward to seeing Alaska from our balcony... and looking soooo forward for a wonderful vacation... thank you for the positive comments...

India, Ronny and Sue

We sail in 6 days.... whoo hooo

Kruisenut, your report is appreciated! We still have our sights set on sailing to Alaska and perhaps the Star will be the one to take us there! :)

Terry, an early "Bon Voyage" to you and Doug. Have a great time! Will be looking forward to your review!

It was so neat to see your posting here.. I promise you just this morning I wondered where Auntie Barb and Uncle Paulie have been lately. Seems like a while since I have seen you on CC. Maybe we have just been visiting different post. Thanks for your well wishes. Now that I am over that heath issue I had when we were on the Dawn I AM REALLY looking forward to this cruise. Barb. it is so sad.. but because of that health issue, most of the cruise on the Dawn is a blur to me. I do remember meeting people and a few things here and there.. but other than that, a blur. Thank goodness I wrote the review I did so I can always remember it that way.. 8-)

Terry & Doug

Mostly the only noise we heard was durring the trip up the Pacific in rough seas 15 -18 ft. Other than that a little banging and sawing hear and there but nothing that stood out. Please say Hi to Patrick for us and Henry and Autoween if you are on deck 10. We will be thinking of you guys next week & wishing we were back.

Enjoy!

Kurt

Thank you and I will be sure and tell them you all said hello. We are in AA 100006 and very excited.

Thanks so much for the post, I will also be on May 22 sailing, and this is our first Alaska cruise... have read way too much info and got soo confused with the refurb of the Star was afraid we had made a mistake on the booking.... We are just plain working folks and can not afford OS but are booked in a mini-suite balcony because of CC knew a balcony was a must!!! I know this trip is what you make it and we are looking forward to seeing Alaska from our balcony... and looking soooo forward for a wonderful vacation... thank you for the positive comments...

India, Ronny and Sue

We sail in 6 days.... whoo hooo

India.. I will say this.. if you are lucky enough to be able to have a balcony, for an Alaskan cruise. .not much else matters. Honestly I believe that for an Alaskan cruise Alaska is the star of the show so much more than the ship or what stateroom you have. You will love having your balcony to take in all of that enormous beauty. (and trust me, we wouldn't be in an AA if it wasn't for some Compass Rewards we needed to use or lose).

Thanks to the comments & feedback here post-drydock Star, I insisted that my father book a balcony for his summer Alaska cruise. Like Terry, I think taking away Spinnaker & changing it to a windowless lounge on deck 7 really sounds like a bad idea. I can only imagine what the Garden Cafe is going to look like with families parked in there all day for viewing.:rolleyes::eek:

Can someone confirm if one of the park rangers boarded the ship and guided you with commentary through the glacier? If so, do you remember about what time it started and how long it lasted? I hope NCL is still doing this as I remember it added a lot to our Alaska cruise on the Sun in 2004.

I've been monitoring prices for July 10 for several months and am struck by the balcony prices which haven't budged. In fact, they are still higher than what was originally booked. I guess enough folks have figured out that with Spinnaker gone, a balcony really becomes essential.

Not happy that the cinema has been yanked out either. I always enjoy on the Dawn taking refuge in the cinema if the weather's not good or just for a change of pace.

Terry, hope you and Doug have another fabulous cruise on the Star!! Will you by chance be posting live?:)

Archived