Jungle Hike excursion in Cozumel

We are going on the Oasis of the Seas to the Caribbean this Summer and have been considering the "Jungle Hike" excursion (CZA8) but are a little apprehensive as we enjoy walking but would not want to do something which will be seriously strenuous and difficult. It also mentions compasses in the description which suggests it may be more difficult.

I was just wondering whether anyone had been on this excursion before and what they could tell me about how fun or difficult it was.

Thanks

Andrew.

It's listed on the excursions for Cozumel. I seen people in April (when I sailed on Inspiration) come back muddy from head to toe. So there must be some type of wilderness out there.

I was curious about this, too. So anyone with any insight would be great!

Here are the details from the RCI excursions page:

Cozumel's Jungle Hike - CZA8

Hike your way through a Cozumel jungle for an adventure and encounter the ancient holy grounds where the Mayans dwelled thousands of years ago. The hiking portion of the tour ends at the Welcome Station (with restroom facilities) where you can enjoy a cold beverage. It is highly recommended that guests bring sun protection and bug spray. Comfortable closed toe walking shoes are a must (no sandals) and light comfortable long pants and long sleeve shirt advised but not required.

Hike your way through a Cozumel jungle for a unique adventure and encounter the ancient holy grounds where the Mayans once dwelled thousands of years ago. The essence of their spirits still lingers in the legacies of Mayan temples. These temples were left to ruin while the land around them surrendered to the ever-growing jungle. Now you will be the one to discover these relics hidden but not forgotten over the last century.

Your adventure begins as you are transported from the small town of San Miguel by air-conditioned van or bus. Then the bus will arrive at the Welcome Station, where you will receive an adventure pack complete with a compass, binoculars, granola bar, bottled water, and an explorer booklet. Your bilingual guide will brief you on what you will do and may expect to see. You will then start your journey as you hike through winding, narrow paths that lead into the ancient past of the Mayans.

Soon you will arrive at the ancient Mayan burial grounds that have not been excavated and are in their natural state just as they were discovered by Spanish conquerors such as Hernandez de Cordoba and Cortez. Glance upon two original temples that once held the bodies of Mayan Royalty. You may see caves containing the remains of earlier explorers. Search for clues that can unlock the history and significance to this long abandoned civilization. Along your exploration into the past, you will also witness an original Mayan Well that was used as a source to obtain life giving water to drink and refresh the body.

Afterwards, as you hike back along the spiraling path, keep your eyes open for tropical birds and resident iguanas to name a few. The hiking portion of the tour will end back at the Welcome Station, where you will have a chance to use the rest rooms and enjoy a nice cold beverage. Afterwards, board the bus that will take you back to present day and your awaiting ship.

Please note that it is highly recommended that guests bring sun protection and bug spray. Comfortable closed toe walking shoes are a must (no sandals) and light comfortable long pants and long sleeve shirt advised but not required.

the people that came back muddy more than likely came off the ATV jungle trek that's the one i did and it great

fyi if it's raining you wilkl get muddy and if dry you will more than likely be all full of dirt

Actually most of the island is covered by dense tropical forests; once you get outside of town, it's very rural and sparsely populated.

If you choose to do this excursion (or any excursion outside the confines of the touristy areas of San Miguel), be sure to apply plenty of mosquito repellent. You'll be very glad you did; it's a jungle out there! :D

My daughter and I went on the excursion in Sept 2008 and I was a bit disappointed. It had rained the night before so it was extremely muddy and very humid. For the price, and what we actually saw, I didn't think it was worth it. The ruins weren't what I expected, and there weren't that many. To me, it looked like they could have taken a bunch of rocks, threw them somewhere and said "this is a Mayan temple". Just my opinion. Oh, and you don't see any wildlife - maybe a bird or two.

The island is flat, from the ship, you can see that the island is mostly scrub brush. It would not qualify as a jungle if you were to compare it to say the Amazon, or the Congo, etc.

The ruins were a very small Mayan temple....very small.

If it still lights your fire, go for it. Otherwise, buyer beware.

Archived