Anyone travel with birth certificates instead of passports?

ACRmom

Are there still people cruising without passports? I know it is highly recommended to get passports, just trying to save almost $500 (for five of us), if I can still go with valid id's and certified birth certificates. My question is...has anyone recently used this form of documentation without any problems? We are cruising on the Dream in August, Eastern itinerary. Thank you in advance for any help. :)

Are there still people cruising without passports? I know it is highly recommended to get passports, just trying to save almost $500 (for five of us), if I can still go with valid id's and certified birth certificates. My question is...has anyone recently used this form of documentation without any problems? We are cruising on the Dream in August, Eastern itinerary. Thank you in advance for any help. :)

Our friends are using a BC in 39 days, no problems.....just have a photo ID. :)

Three people in our group will be using them on our upcoming cruise.

I agree with Traveler353, I hope they don't miss the ship and have to fly back:o

I would be way too nervous to leave the country without one.:)

Same here. After paying for the cruise, prepaid tips, and an excursion, I didn't have enough budget left to buy passports. So we are using our birth certificates when we cruise in 17 days. Hope we don't have any problems. :o

The wife and I got passport cards, well enhanced drivers licenses (passport card and drivers license in 1), 45 bucks each and they worked great!

My mom just cruised the Valor using birth cert and DL and had no problems

The wife and I got passport cards, well enhanced drivers licenses (passport card and drivers license in 1), 45 bucks each and they worked great!

My mom just cruised the Valor using birth cert and DL and had no problems

Those are great for crossing the borders via ship or car, but are useless if you are stuck on an island out of the country and need to fly home or catch up with your ship !;)

We have used birth certificates and picture ID's for 8+ cruises without any problem but do plan to get them next year. We will be cruisin in November and do not think we will have any problems since it is a closed loop cruise. Haven't read anything new about requiring passports for 2010.

Those are great for crossing the borders via ship or car, but are useless if you are stuck on an island out of the country and need to fly home or catch up with your ship !;)

Thats why you dont miss the boat.

I'm 63..got my first passport at age 17. My husband is 69. Got his first passport at 17.

The passport card is great if you're driving or going by boat, but won't help much if you need to FLY home from some island, somewhere..like in a medical evacuation or something.

Close-looped cruises don't require one for now. Assuming you're going to the Caribean (not Alaska..there you need the passport, because you stop in Canada) and you don't have to fly home. But you really should start getting them, maybe one at a time for now. I'm pretty sure it won't be long before every American will be required to have a passport, just like most of the rest of the citizens of the world.

Just be sure you have "valid birth certificates". Not the ones with the baby feet, not a hospital cert and not a "birth registration". A birth registration is just something the health dept or dept of vital statistics sends out t let the parents know that the birth has been registered and that they can now get a birth certificate.

Also be sure you have your photo ID.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Annieeee

Thats why you dont miss the boat.

Oh I agree with you regarding doing everything possible to not miss the "SHIP"...., but things happen and I have had an occurance where a family member got ill in the states requiring my return trip back before cruise ended....Passport made that travel possible immediately when I got to the next foreign port... Passport Card WOULD NOT have been as easy or doable until obtaining a passport and incurring additional expenses and/or delays in getting back home !

You can argue or disagree the point all you want, but facts are facts regarding the issues of how valuable a passport book vs. a passport card are when it comes to flying to re enter the USA. :rolleyes:

My DH's DIL was on a cruise with us and brought her BC and driver's license, but the driver's license and BC name did not match. They actually ask for her marriage certificate. Of course she did not have it on her. They did finally let her get on the ship. But it took a lot of begging and pleading!!

My DH's DIL was on a cruise with us and brought her BC and driver's license, but the driver's license and BC name did not match. They actually ask for her marriage certificate. Of course she did not have it on her. They did finally let her get on the ship. But it took a lot of begging and pleading!!

Not uncommon in this day and age given heightened security issues we live under now...... I always strongly urge our clients to bring that marriage certficiate just in case of scenarios like yours in the event they are not travelling with a passport book/card (passport card being the less desireable of the two)...just more evidence of having the proper documents for any cruise with you !:cool:

Yes, I have on five cruises. I will be traveling on my sixth cruise without a passport. the only caveat to these is if you are married, you will need your marriage certificate in your wife's behalf, due to the change in her last name.:)

You can argue or disagree the point all you want, but facts are facts regarding the issues of how valuable a passport book vs. a passport card are when it comes to flying to re enter the USA. :rolleyes:

While this is true, and I agree, I hate that every one of these threads turns into an argument about how you shouldn't travel without a PP. The OP was just asking a specific question, not for the pros and cons. It would be so much simpler if the powers that be would require passports for everyone.

While this is true, and I agree, I hate that every one of these threads turns into an argument about how you shouldn't travel without a PP. The OP was just asking a specific question, not for the pros and cons. It would be so much simpler if the powers that be would require passports for everyone.

Totally agree you leave the U.S. you need a passport, that would be the end of all this speculation and trying to determine do you or don't you.

The gov't just needs to finally make a decision to yes for all foreign travel no exception like the closed loop cruise deal.

For the OP I have a passport but I have to travel with it and my green card.:D

Never cruised with a pp and haven't had any problems. We've always used our raised seal BC's. We had friends that thought they needed their SS cards to board, and they were even allowed to cruise last December. I really thought they were going to be left at the pier. I still get stressed when I think about it:):)

Archived