Lost my wallet in Singapore... great ending!

Sandy R

We just returned from the Diamond Princess 32 day Asia cruise 4/14/10. Before we left, we booked a private guide for the day in Singapore (great guide, great tour, great lunch, great city!).

That night, I realized I didn't have my wallet containing my driver's license and 2 credit cards. I scoured the cabin with no success. When I logged onto the internet, to e-mail the guide, in the off-chance she found it... I discovered an e-mail from the guide. Her driver had found my wallet in the van and had given it to her. She told me the wallet and it's contents were already in her bank safe.

We corresponded for about a week... she couldn't find any transit company that would accept the credit cards for mailing. She suggested I have her destroy the credit cards and she would send me my driver's license. All this happened the beginning of our 32 day cruise, so I asked her to send my license to our friend's address. I insisted she let me know whatever costs she incurred, so I could reimburse.

I notified our friends a package would be coming and when it arrived, to e-mail me... which they did. In turn, I let the guide know and again asked how much I should send to reimburse her. She told me she was happy to help and absolutely refused to be reimbursed.

If I had to lose my driver's license and 2 credit cards, I'm grateful it was during a tour with a "one-in-a-million wonderful and extremely honest guide". If anyone would like her contact information, it would be my pleasure to post it!

Her name is Anna-Maria Champalbert. Her e-mail is: camaria69@yahoo.com

She charges hourly per van... it was a 13 seat mini-van and there were 8 of us, which was extremely comfortable. BTW... she had been recommended on cruisecritic, which is why I contacted her. And, payment was in US$$, the day of the tour... no sending money, which I liked.

The choices of places to visit were: the colonial section of the city, old temples, Chinatown, Little India, the Botanical Gardens, a 1/2 hour river boat ride, an informal lunch along the river (great lunch, nice views), a short visit to Sentosa Island. We weren't able to do the cable car because it was closed for repairs.

We just returned from the Diamond Princess 32 day Asia cruise 4/14/10. Before we left, we booked a private guide for the day in Singapore (great guide, great tour, great lunch, great city!).

That night, I realized I didn't have my wallet containing my driver's license and 2 credit cards. I scoured the cabin with no success. When I logged onto the internet, to e-mail the guide, in the off-chance she found it... I discovered an e-mail from the guide. Her driver had found my wallet in the van and had given it to her. She told me the wallet and it's contents were already in her bank safe.

We corresponded for about a week... she couldn't find any transit company that would accept the credit cards for mailing. She suggested I have her destroy the credit cards and she would send me my driver's license. All this happened the beginning of our 32 day cruise, so I asked her to send my license to our friend's address. I insisted she let me know whatever costs she incurred, so I could reimburse.

I notified our friends a package would be coming and when it arrived, to e-mail me... which they did. In turn, I let the guide know and again asked how much I should send to reimburse her. She told me she was happy to help and absolutely refused to be reimbursed.

If I had to lose my driver's license and 2 credit cards, I'm grateful it was during a tour with a "one-in-a-million wonderful and extremely honest guide". If anyone would like her contact information, it would be my pleasure to post it!

Great story. We've made note of her name and contact information as we will be there next Spring. Possibly you would be able to arrange to send her flowers or a small gift in order to thank her.:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am so glad that your potentially "vacation spoiling" incident had such a happy ending! When we were in Singapore in April we were so impressed with everyone we met-hotel, restaurant, attraction staff and drivers were all so pleasant and helpful. It doesn't surprise me that she would not accept reimbursement, I found asian service standards to be very high and it was such a nice change from our day-to-day encounters at home! ;)

We would definately return to Singapore, and we will use her service for tours when we do! :D

Archived