Just back from JADE out of Barcelona- any questions?

Litehouse9

Litehouse- Just read your cruise review and enjoyed it very much. Thank you for posting. All your info has been so helpful.

My question--do they do currency exchange onboard? How did you get money?? ATM or exchange? I am also wondering where/how you can get the best exchange rate. With all the talk of pickpockets, etc., I am weary of using an ATM in public. Is the airport a good option?

Another question - we are having private tours and sharing with another couple. What do you think is a fair tip? We are not weathy travelers but want to be fair with our guides.

Thanks.

Hi. Travelgirl4ever, I hope you have a wonderful trip-- if your attitude is positive, and you take a few simple precautions, you will!

First-- the thieves, gypsies, pickpockets are at the AIRPORT too! That's where they go when they think the streets are lean picking. They squirt you with ketchup so you let go of your bags to wipe it, and take them, etc.

Cash: On the ship, YES, they will convert US $$ to Euros, for a fee per transaction (I think it was $10 per transaction, no matter how much-- if I remember correctly). We used public cash machines.. but: with my hubby at the machine, and me at his back, watching to make sure no one was approaching us, etc. Be careful-- carry Passports and cash, credit cards UNDER your CLOTHES, in a cut proof bag. Then it should be good.

Tips for Tours: Our share of our Limo tours was 130 Euros for the two of us.. we tipped 20 Euros on top-- as we were so THRILLED with Rome In Limo.... and the guides seemed to really appreciate it. We thought they deserved more, but we are also on a budget, and they were genuinely pleased with that. Give what you can and what you think is deserved. :)

Have a wonderful time

Hi all,

We are taking this cruise in a couple of weeks (Aug 1). We have booked with RIL for all three Italy ports as well and are really looking forward to it. Thanks for the tip info, we were wondering the same thing.

I have a few other questions - is there a fresh water pool? I thought I read somewhere that there was one salt and one fresh. Can any verify or debunk this? Our two young daughters or joining us so I'm just curious.

Anyone have experiences with the kids' program? We've never brought our kids on a cruise before... They are 4 and 5.

Also, this is not important but are there flat screen TVs in the cabins?

We are getting so excited for this trip!!

Thanks everyone for your reviews. Anyone have recent pics?

Thanks again!

angie

I'm going on this same cruise in one week!! SOOOO excited! When it comes to pickpockets and things, what would you suggest doing with my camera? I was thinking of carrying it all day, but if you have a better idea, I'd be up for it!(:

When it comes to my family's passports, what would you suggest? My dad was going to put a rubber band around all four of them and keep them in a buttoned short pocket, but I don't think that's all too safe. Thanks so much!! (:

I also wear the inside the pants money belt. Besides pickpockets, there is always the chance of being robbed. I keep an old wallet with a couple of bucks in it in my pants pocket. If I do get robbed, they won't get much and won't get ticked off, but not getting something.

:)

Hi all,

We are taking this cruise in a couple of weeks (Aug 1). We have booked with RIL for all three Italy ports as well and are really looking forward to it. Thanks for the tip info, we were wondering the same thing.

I have a few other questions - is there a fresh water pool? I thought I read somewhere that there was one salt and one fresh. Can any verify or debunk this? Our two young daughters or joining us so I'm just curious.

Anyone have experiences with the kids' program? We've never brought our kids on a cruise before... They are 4 and 5.

Also, this is not important but are there flat screen TVs in the cabins?

We are getting so excited for this trip!!

Thanks everyone for your reviews. Anyone have recent pics?

Thanks again!

angie

RE: Passports with a rubber band in a buttoned pocket. I would NEVER DO THIS! Never... to be safe, keep them at the hotel safe, or in the cabin safe and take copies only. When you have to travel with the originals, put them in a neck carrier, UNDER your clothes.

Pools on board: Sorry, we had no kids on this trip. There was an ADULTS pool, and a separate Kids pool. Not sure either was fresh water.

Kids programs: In the past when we used them on previous cruises, we were very happy. We had no kids on our May cruise, so cannot vouch for this particular cruise.

Flat screens: Sorry, not on this ship. We were surprised, but there was the regular kind of TV. We were never in the cabin long enough to care.. we were so busy, then so tired!

HAVE a fabulous time on your cruise.. all the best to you!

Archived