Just Got Back from the Dawn

ddcubed

Where did cruise to? What type of cabin did you have? What shore excrursions did you do?

I love to hear details of cruises, because it is an enjoyable pass time while waiting for my next cruise.

How was the weather and were the seas rough?

The weather was beautiful throughout the whole week. It was a little overcast on our last day in Bermuda, but not enough to detract from our time on the island.

The seas were hardly rough at all. Like I said, I'm a first-time cruiser, so I was definitely worried about seasickness. But truth be told, I hardly felt a thing for the most part. The only time I felt it a bit was on our last day, but it was nothing intolerable.

Where did cruise to? What type of cabin did you have? What shore excrursions did you do?

I love to hear details of cruises, because it is an enjoyable pass time while waiting for my next cruise.

We cruised to Bermuda. We wanted to snorkel, but they told us that all snorkel excursions were cancelled. They didn't tell us why, but I'm guessing it had something to do with the oil spill?

So we ended up doing the island tour instead. The tour was good overall, though we didn't stop at some of the places they promised to stop (such as the lighthouse). But for someone who has never seen the island, I really enjoyed going through the different areas of Bermuda.

We cruised to Bermuda. We wanted to snorkel, but they told us that all snorkel excursions were cancelled. They didn't tell us why, but I'm guessing it had something to do with the oil spill?

:confused:There's been no word of any spill. Maybe wave action?

How were the water temps??

Was Shona the CD (Cruise Director)? We are cruising June 6th. Shona is a wonderful CD...:)

Indeed she was! She was absolutely fantastic. Ray-Ray was the Assistant CD.

:confused:There's been no word of any spill. Maybe wave action?

How were the water temps??

The water was quite freezing when I was there.

I just returned from my first-ever cruise on the Dawn, and it was absolutely amazing. I'm a big "sharer", so I'm more than happy to answer any questions anyone has!

Great to hear you had such a nice time! I am going in August and can't wait. If you don't mind my asking, what cabin did you have?

Thanks!

Great to hear you had such a nice time! I am going in August and can't wait. If you don't mind my asking, what cabin did you have?

Thanks!

Don't mind at all! I was in 10515, which is on the forward part of the ship.

Who is the concierge? And, who is the captain now? Thanks!

I saw on another post that Anoop is now the concierge since Ashumann went to ready the Epic. Any changes and I'll post when I get back

Thanks for answering questions. I have a few:

What is the Royal Navy Dockyard area like? The last time I cruised to Bermuda we pulled into St. Georges. How far was it to Hamilton? We used the bus system and found it to be efficient. Did you us it at all?

Did you go to any of the cover charge restaurants? Did you have a favorite restaurant on board?

Formal nights are listed as "optional", did you notice many people not dressing up?

We are taking the Dawn from Boston next July and are really excited.

What is the Royal Navy Dockyard area like? The last time I cruised to Bermuda we pulled into St. Georges. How far was it to Hamilton? We used the bus system and found it to be efficient. Did you use it at all?

Buses run to the Dockyards but the easiest way to head east on the island is to take the fast ferry into Hamilton and then walk up the hill to the main bus station. Buy a three-day transportation pass and you're completely mobile.

What is the Royal Navy Dockyard area like? The last time I cruised to Bermuda we pulled into St. Georges. How far was it to Hamilton? We used the bus system and found it to be efficient. Did you us it at all?

The dockyard area is a really nice little spot. There are a lot of gift shops and even a little mall. Plus, if you're into architecture like I am, you'll love the older buildings there. You'll also find a few restaurants there though, like most eating spots in Bermuda, they're pretty pricey.

We used the bus to go to Horseshoe Bay. I saw Hamilton via the tour bus. Since there were a ton of stops along the way, it's hard to gauge how long it actually takes. But you're right -- the bus system is pretty efficient there. When you get off the ship, you'll see a multi-colored stand/gift shop. That's where you can buy your transportation pass. But just as a heads-up, they will only accept cash for any bus/ferry tickets, even in the shop. If you buy your pass on the bus itself, you will need exact change.

Did you go to any of the cover charge restaurants? Did you have a favorite restaurant on board?

I think we hit three of the cover restaurants: Impressions (Italian), Salsa Tapas Bar (Mexican), and Teppanyaki (a Benihana's-style Japanese restaurant where they cook everything in front of you). We absolutely loved Salsa and Teppanyaki. Impressions was pretty good too, but I'd definitely recommend the other two.

Formal nights are listed as "optional", did you notice many people not dressing up?

Yeah, I'd say there were plenty of people who opted not to dress up (I was also one of them). You definitely won't stand out if you decide not to do so.

We are taking the Dawn from Boston next July and are really excited.

You'll love it. :)

Thanks for all the information.

Do you recall the cost of the cover charge restaurants? We are celebrating my in laws 50th anniversary with a large group and my husband and I thought we might surprise everyone with a night out on us.

Do you recall the cost of the cover charge restaurants? We are celebrating my in laws 50th anniversary with a large group and my husband and I thought we might surprise everyone with a night out on us.

Eleven of us just returned from the May 16th cruise and had a grand time. We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary at Le Bistro. It cost $20 pp and I do not hesitate to reommend it. It is as good as any specialty resturant we have been to (including those on all inclusive ships.)

Linda and Bill

Off the top of my head...

Cagney's Steak House - Either $20 or $25

Impressions Italian Restaurant - Either $10 or $15

Le Bistro - $20

Salsa Tapas Bar - $10

Teppanyaki - $25

Archived