What to tip for Kids club

JMAK's Mom

• 2 weeks later...
Hi ya,

Thanks for that.

We wouldn't be planning on leaving him on the ship while we go into the ports or anything - we usually don't spend the entire port time in port and end up back on the ship long before sail away so am thinking of maybe using the kids club then:)

Yes, port day babysitting is $6/hr. When I was on Jewel they gave me a pager b/c my son has a lot of complex medical issues but had no problem with me leaving him and getting off the ship on a port day. On the Dawn I also had a pager but they would not let me leave him on a port day and get off the ship. Needless to say the crew on the Jewel got a better tip!

My guess is if your child is not potty trainer they probably will not let you off the ship either.

For a 7-nighter we tipped a few of the folks in the kids club individually- there were 3 or 4 that seemed to always be involved with our son. I think we tipped 10 or 20 bucks a person (can't remember exactly.) Then we gave about that same amount for everyone in the club else to split.

This is 100% voluntary and you are not compelled to tip. We have always taken good care of our son's caregivers here at home, with things like homemade baked goods, etc. In the same way, we used to take good care of my grandmother's caregivers in the nursing home, especially the ones that we knew looked out for her. On the holidays my dad would smoke some meat and take it in and that sort of thing. My rationale is that if I can give a person a buck for making me the perfect latte I can spare a few more bucks for someone charged with taking care of a loved one.

For a 7-nighter we tipped a few of the folks in the kids club individually- there were 3 or 4 that seemed to always be involved with our son. I think we tipped 10 or 20 bucks a person (can't remember exactly.) Then we gave about that same amount for everyone in the club else to split.

My rationale is that if I can give a person a buck for making me the perfect latte I can spare a few more bucks for someone charged with taking care of a loved one.

I love your thinking!

FYI, my daughter shared with me that over the course of 15 days at sea this Christmas, her share of the tips was $40, which amounted to only $2.60 per day. Most people spend more than that on tips for the bartenders, and we know it doesn't take very long to mix a drink, compared to the time these young people spend with your children. On behalf on caregivers everywhere, thank you (irun5K) for being so generous!

Archived