Seabourn Odyssey Greece and Dalmatian Isles October 2 - 9, 2010

plane10

plane10 -- My Mom and I will be cruising with you that very same week. This will be the first time she and I will be cruising on the Odyssey. I haven't been on this particular cruise itinerary but have visited some of these ports in the last several when we were on either the Legend or the Spirit. Lots to do in Athens, of course. The Acropolis was a beautiful site from our hotel. We stayed at the Grand Bretagne which is absolutely fabulous! The Acropolis up close was not what I expected. They are doing a lot of restorative work so there is a lot of scaffolding around it. It was VERY windy up top and be sure to wear flat shoes as it is slippery as well. Sorry, I can't remember much about Corfu or Pylos. In Montenegro, we just walked into the old city behind the wall. It was enchanting. It rained, actually it was a thunderstorm with thundery and lightening, when we were in Dubrovnik. We took a walking tour in the morning which is something you could do on your own but if you are interested in the history then I would recommend taking a tour. We then did a tour that took us to an old Mill turned into a restaurant. While we heard rave reviews, our group probably wouldn't rave. We had to move our rather large tour group inside due to a downpour. The food was definitely not up to par that evening and because we heard that the storm was only going to get worse, we all decided to skip dessert and get back on the road (It was about a 60 minute drive back to the ship) ASAP! We did, however, witness one of the most spectacular lightening storms on our drive back!! I have not been to Ravenna before so I am looking forward to that port. Looking forward to possibly meeting you.

Lisa :)

Hi Lisa,

What time of year did you visit Montenegro and Dubrovnik when you encountered all those storms complete with thunder and lightning?!

I hope we don't run into that kind of weather on our cruise this October.

I don't plan to stay in Athens; I took a cruise of the Greek islands several years ago, and stayed in Athens then. The new places for me will be Corfu and Montenegro.

Thanks for your response,

C.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! We will be cruising with you all that same week. We have cruised many times and love it. This is our first time on Seabourn. Cannot wait. I have researched the weather and am not concerned. It will be great! I AM concerned about some of the negative threads about the ship and this vibration issue. Any thoughts on that? Most of the ports are new for us , which is why we selected this itinerary. We are late 40/50 couple traveling with friends.

Hi C!

I am pretty sure we were in Dubrovnik in September. My Mom and I usually cruise mid-September to early October. This is just after "the season" when the majority of the tourists go home and the weather cools down. There was one other time when we docked in Civitavecchia (Rome) where we had a lot of rain, thunder and lightening. It was a transfer day and we had planned no tours so we stayed on the ship and did our laundry. It made for a nice nap that afternoon!! However, these were the only two incidents of rain, thunder and lightening in the last 8 years. Other than that the weather has been relatively good. I would bring some kind of jacket or sweater that you can on your tours just in case the weather cools a bit too much. HTH

Hello! . . . I AM concerned about some of the negative threads about the ship and this vibration issue. Any thoughts on that?. . . .

Hello Suni!

My Mom and I have been to most of these ports. I, too, am not worried about the weather. The Odyssey is a new ship and I have not read about the vibration issues. I guess I will have to research it.

Hi Suni,

Nice to hear from another person who will be on the Odyssey for the first time!

I have read several complaints about the vibration, and the problem seems to be based on two factors: location on the ship and the speed of the ship.

Here's hoping we all have a great cruise in October!

C.

I do not believe the ship is sold out. Any thoughts on the most ideal location for cabins to avoid the vibration issue?

Looking so forward to this trip. Want it to be fabulous!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lisa,

Go to the Forum Seabourn Cruise Lines. On the upper right, click on Search This Forum.

Type in Odyssey vibration. It will bring up several postings from clients who have been on the Odyssey, and talk about this topic.

C.

Archived