Using blackberry for email?

We leave on the Dream this Saturday! Has anyone used their Blackberry to access email and internet while on the ship? Does it work well?

Thanks!!

Better check on roaming charges. Expensive to do this.

The first thing I do when I get on the ship is turn the BB off. The data charges are very expensive, and why would you possibly want emails while on vacation, that damn thing goes off with work emails 24-7, vacation is for me to get away from it all

Better check on roaming charges. Expensive to do this.

We just got off the Dream last week. I have a blackberry and I would not dare even try - the rates are astronomical. If you absolutely HAVE to check email on vacation - buy an internet access package.

Check with your carrier. I use Verizon and they have a plan listed on their website that works with Cellular at Sea. It's very new and I haven't heard from anyone who has used it yet.

I used my crackberry last year on a ship to keep the time but after 2 days I turned off the signal. I spoke with my carrier and I was hit with quite a few charges that they would not reverse simply because I had downloaded the email.

Here are the rates for Cruise ship roaming rates that I just downloaded from the Verizon website:

Voice Roaming Rate:

$2.49 per minute

Global Email Monthly Rate:

$69.99/mo or $64.99/mo

(w/ Voice Plan) for Unlimited email

GlobalAccess Pay Per Use Rate:

$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB) :eek:

Text Messaging Rates:

$0.50/address sent

$0.05/message received

Global Email Pay Per Use Rate:

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty new to this Blackberry thing. I have a curve. I'll be bringing my phone on the cruise for before/after but have no intention of using on the ship. When is this thing truly off? It comes on fast when I power down so I am suspicious. Should I remove the battery? I don't want any of the astronomical charges by accident. Any info is appreciated.

Here are the rates for Cruise ship roaming rates that I just downloaded from the Verizon website:

Voice Roaming Rate:

$2.49 per minute

Global Email Monthly Rate:

$69.99/mo or $64.99/mo

(w/ Voice Plan) for Unlimited email

GlobalAccess Pay Per Use Rate:

Text Messaging Rates:

$0.50/address sent

$0.05/message received

Global Email Pay Per Use Rate:

Are those rates in addition to the monthly charge or do you have a choice of per min/mb or unlimted?

I am pretty new to this Blackberry thing. I have a curve. I'll be bringing my phone on the cruise for before/after but have no intention of using on the ship. When is this thing truly off? It comes on fast when I power down so I am suspicious. Should I remove the battery? I don't want any of the astronomical charges by accident. Any info is appreciated.

You can either just turn off the radio and keep the phone on and use it as a clock or if you want it completely off you hit the BB button and there will be on option under the full folder and app list for "turn off phone"

I use T-mobile and for 19.99 (i think it was) which can be prorated for how long you need it for I only needed it for a week. You can send and receive emails free of charge internationaly for the charge above like I stated. You can't open attachments but just plain emails can be done.

Archived