MSC Magnifica

sally10

Hi Sally

Welcome to CC. As far as whether drinks packages are worth it or not, really depends on what you will drink and how much of it.

There are 3 main types

All inclusive - all in the cabin have to buy it, you pay an extra daily charge if you want premium brands included - if you are going to drink more than the daily price then it is worth it, but are you going to both exceed that every day, especially the days you are in port, then if the answer is no, then it is not worth it. For me it is not worth it as I only drink a couple of cocktails and a couple galsses of wine and water each day. If you are going to drink a lot more than this it may save you money

The unlimited drinks at meals - again you both have to buy this package. I think this only saves you money if you are going to be onboard at lunch or dinner and are happy with house wine or the beer that is included or are going to drink a lot of this at dinner, if you are going to be ashore at lunch. Again for me this is not worth my while as I only drink a little at dinner and the rest between meals

Specific drinks packages - e.g. beer; cocktail, water, etc. these can be bought onboard and some in advance. You don't have to both buy the package. You basically buy a book of vouchers and hand one over anytime you order a drink. The cocktail one has 12 vouchers but it works ut at the price for 10. You can order any cocktail at any time from any bar. Likewise if you get the beer or water one you get 14 vouchers. these save you money provided you can use all the vouchers during the course of your cruise. these are the packages that best suit me and save me some money but are not the best fro everyone

Hope this helps

Hi Sally

Welcome to CC. As far as whether drinks packages are worth it or not, really depends on what you will drink and how much of it.

There are 3 main types

All inclusive - all in the cabin have to buy it, you pay an extra daily charge if you want premium brands included - if you are going to drink more than the daily price then it is worth it, but are you going to both exceed that every day, especially the days you are in port, then if the answer is no, then it is not worth it. For me it is not worth it as I only drink a couple of cocktails and a couple galsses of wine and water each day. If you are going to drink a lot more than this it may save you money

The unlimited drinks at meals - again you both have to buy this package. I think this only saves you money if you are going to be onboard at lunch or dinner and are happy with house wine or the beer that is included or are going to drink a lot of this at dinner, if you are going to be ashore at lunch. Again for me this is not worth my while as I only drink a little at dinner and the rest between meals

Specific drinks packages - e.g. beer; cocktail, water, etc. these can be bought onboard and some in advance. You don't have to both buy the package. You basically buy a book of vouchers and hand one over anytime you order a drink. The cocktail one has 12 vouchers but it works ut at the price for 10. You can order any cocktail at any time from any bar. Likewise if you get the beer or water one you get 14 vouchers. these save you money provided you can use all the vouchers during the course of your cruise. these are the packages that best suit me and save me some money but are not the best fro everyone

Hope this helps

thank you so much this really helps, I think we'll go along with what you say.

Dear Sally: We just returned today from our cruise on May 22 on the Magnifica from Venice. The only impressions i can give you ARE MY OWN. The ship is very clean and beautiful. We were in the cheapest balcony cabin. It was bigger than we thought, with lots of space. The cabin stewart was excellent. i felt like we were "nickel and dimed". We were told tap water was available, but this was untrue. We were told we would have to pay for bottle water and no tap water was available. Juice, coffee, tea were only free at breakfast. The same food was served breakfast/lunch in buffet.Most of the dinners were good. The waiters did not remember our names. The shows were excellent. Embarcation and especially debarcation were nightmares. There was smoking on the ship. The same items were put out into the hall at night for sale, with nothing different. Americans were given one bottle of drinking water for free at dinner only. 2 Italians tried at different times to barge into line in front of us at the buffet. I politely tapped him on his back and shook my head no and he got off line. We had no problems getting into elevators. I rate the cruise a 7 while my husband rates it a 5. It had the itinerary we wanted that is why we picked this ship. However the short amount of hours in port caused us to rush and be stressed. Next time we will again go back to American ship. Any questions, write. Elaine

Hello Sally,

We will be crusing on July 3rd as well. This will also be our first time with MSC. I have 2 daughters, 11 and 16. Is your 13 year old a boy or girl? Maybe they will meet at the teen club...

Is it normal to get that friendly with the waitstaff on a cruise ? :confused:

It actually is--I think more so for Americans than for Europeans (not sure about Australians, though most of the ones I've met were quite outgoing and friendly :))

But especially since you'll be on such a long cruise--you'll possibly get that friendly with your waiters, stewards, bartenders, and maybe even some of the other cruise staff.

That complaint probably stems from the fact that MSC has European-trained waiters, and they are much more reserved and "impersonal" than the American-trained waiters that work for Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, etc.

Hello Sally,

We will be crusing on July 3rd as well. This will also be our first time with MSC. I have 2 daughters, 11 and 16. Is your 13 year old a boy or girl? Maybe they will meet at the teen club...

It's our first time on MSC too, we've been on RCI and had a great time, reading reviews of MSC but holding out until we go ourselves before I form an opinion. My 13 year is a girl and it would be great if she meets up with others, I'm sure there will be loads as they go free. I have an 18 year old boy but it wasn't cool to go with his parents any more.

Hi Rugbyfan & Sally,

We're from Canada. Where are you guys from?

Looking forward to the cruise. Hope we'll get good weather.

Anybody knows anything about visas to Turkey? The official Turiksh consular site says cruise passengers do not need entry visas. Then in another paragraph it says North Americans can get visas at the port of entry. I'm confused!

I was concerned about the visas as well and I was informed by my TA that MSC was looking after it. I also asked someone who had just come back from the same cruise, who was also from Canada, and she said no extra visas were required. Hopefully, all will run smoothly.

There were no 'visa' issues in Turkey or Croatia on Magnifica 2 months ago. The line asked us to take our passports with us in Croatia (but there was no requst to see them portside). There were some cards handed out somewhere (I don't recollect) however there's no need for pax to make any individual pre-cruise visa arrangments on Magnifica's present itinerary.

Hi Rugbyfan & Sally,

We're from Canada. Where are you guys from?

Looking forward to the cruise. Hope we'll get good weather.

Anybody knows anything about visas to Turkey? The official Turiksh consular site says cruise passengers do not need entry visas. Then in another paragraph it says North Americans can get visas at the port of entry. I'm confused!

Sally is from Ireland, and we're really looking forward to it, the weather should be fantastic, I read you don't need visas to Turkey, but maybe if you're American it might be different.

Just returned from the Magnifica. Regarding visas....when in Turkey you will be given a visa as you disembark and you simply turn it back in when you return to the ship. However, in Istanbul they didn't even collect them when we returned and we simply kept them as a souvenir! In Croatia they tell you to carry your passport but as we left the port area an officer simply looked to see that we had them and never actually opened them.

Just returned from the Magnifica. Regarding visas....when in Turkey you will be given a visa as you disembark and you simply turn it back in when you return to the ship. However, in Istanbul they didn't even collect them when we returned and we simply kept them as a souvenir! In Croatia they tell you to carry your passport but as we left the port area an officer simply looked to see that we had them and never actually opened them.

Thanks for the information. Did you have to pay for this 'visa' that nobody bothered to look at? (a real visa obtained thru the embassy cost $60)

• 3 weeks later...
We're going 3rd July, just trying to get as much info before we go as we can, will review the cruise afterwards so you can have a read

Hi Sally

We are also couple from Ireland travelling on MSC Magnifica 3rd July with our 13 yr old daughter. Glad to hear there will be other families like us on board. Looking forward to the cruise! Hope to see you onboard.

Archived