Best place to eat in Cozumel??

StacylShaw

It looks like we'll be giving Panchos downtown a try this time around.

Last time we went to Carlos & Charlies. It was alot of fun, but I honestly can't remember how the food was. Margaritas were great!:D

Playa Bonita was great! 2 for one on beers

+3 we made it over there also and it was great and also had the prettiest beach that we had seen. We stopped by paradise beach beforehand, however, it was filled with seaweed so we drove on around the island to playa bonita and had a great lunch, dirty monkey (pina colada with kahlua), beautiful beach and free tequila shots!!

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if it is possible to make lunch reservations at Pancho's Backyard (at the end of the street downtown Cozumel)? We have eaten there twice before and loved it.

On this cruise we will have a party of 10 and want to introduce the entire group to Pancho's (and their memorable margaritas!):p

Ok so I am going to lose all my class answering this as I can't remember the name of the place so all I can do is show you my pictures. Keep in mind that I get buzzed on a half a glass of wine.

As you enter the square across the street from the dock you will see a place that sells HUGE tequilas and those are the first pictures. You may recognise it as you walk the first block and it is on the left.

After the tequila I forgot the name of where we ate and the name of the place for the tequila. Our friends are the couple looking like they were getting married in the tequila place.

The place we ate is near where we drank. You'll see a large downstairs outdoor dining with many people. Upstairs you'll see a balcony where we ate. I do not think I am responsible for the Mariachi showing his chest btw. It was one of us. We had great Lobster for a very good price.

I would like to tell you more but maybe you can match the pictures to what you pass a very short distance from entering the Square. I do know I smoked a cigar because I have that picture I can't deny.

It is all close enough to get back to the ship without even knowing it.

http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/570439368gFdPWt

Next time I won't stop at that Tequila place first and perhaps I can be more helpful. :D

Does anyone know if it is possible to make lunch reservations at Pancho's Backyard (at the end of the street downtown Cozumel)? We have eaten there twice before and loved it.

On this cruise we will have a party of 10 and want to introduce the entire group to Pancho's (and their memorable margaritas!):p

Not sure if you can make reservations but can tell you that if you get there by about 11 a.m. most days you can acquire a table or two from the seating hostess to handle that large of a group.

Much depends on how many ships are in port with you as to how busy the restaurant will be.

We'll be back there next week for about our 15th or 16th time. Love the place.

Dianne

To me (who was a crew member for 5 years and I've been to Cozumel over 100 times).... There is no better lunch in town then La Choza. Their fajita's, noodle soup, guacamole... and most important... that orange sauce.... is THE BEST!!! Leave Poncho's for the other tourists.... Follow the crew to La Choza.... There is a reason!!!

PS - the sauce is an orange color.... not flavor! Nice and spicy.... They sell it to go in water bottles. The crew members will order plain chicken breasts on sea days in the crew mess and use it. It's that good......

Depends on what you mean by "down home". You probably won't find meatloaf and mashed potatoes, but you most certainly can find good authentic Mexican food for a good price at restaurants in Cozumel. Just avoid the tourist traps.

FWIW, we never eat on board when we're at a port. What's the point in traveling if you're not going to get out, experience a taste of the local culture, and have a little adventure?

Exacty. You cannot truly experience a culture without including their food.

It is not free, but you already paid for it. Plus why pay $30.00 to eat in the ships steak house when you have all your meals covered?:

How is this relevant? :confused:

To me (who was a crew member for 5 years and I've been to Cozumel over 100 times).... There is no better lunch in town then La Choza. Their fajita's, noodle soup, guacamole... and most important... that orange sauce.... is THE BEST!!! Leave Poncho's for the other tourists.... Follow the crew to La Choza.... There is a reason!!!

PS - the sauce is an orange color.... not flavor! Nice and spicy.... They sell it to go in water bottles. The crew members will order plain chicken breasts on sea days in the crew mess and use it. It's that good......

I wish I had known this before going to Cozumel but there is always next time. I would bet the crew absolutely knows the best place to eat.

Archived