do i need atour in saint john

i was wondering is there things off the ship to do or should i just buy a tour ....:confused:im only on the 5 day .none of the tours really excite me like the carribean. but who cares im going to have a fantastic time:D

i was wondering is there things off the ship to do or should i just buy a tour ....:confused:im only on the 5 day .none of the tours really excite me like the carribean. but who cares im going to have a fantastic time:D

If you go down the page a bit to Acey's 2010 Saint John FAQ guide you will find several things to do within walking distance of the ship docks. You really do not need to take a tour. If you want to see the Reversing Falls, just take a taxi over. It is not far and it would be much cheaper than a tour. I would normally suggest walking over to the falls via the Harbour Passage but a large section of the passage is closed this summer due to construction on the bridge---safety reasons---the possibility of things falling on your head etc.

Sorry--double post

I was at this port a few years ago with my dad and heading back on the Carnival GLORY 6/6/10. Last time I was there we just walked around town to explore and stopped in at Houlihan's pub for a beer across from the ships to the left down 1-block. Finding one of these places is great, because you get to meet the locals and find out what you should/should not spend the case on. :)

The reversing falls you can definitely take a taxi and don;t need to spend the extra for a tour. After a couple minutes it will just look like a big river to you anyway.

Many people get excited about the rising and falling of the tides, but forget it takes a few hours for the water level to go up and down LOL. I guess they expect it all to drain at once and watch it fall before them. Your best bet is to take a picture right when you get off the ship and then go explore or do an excursion, then take another right before leaving. There was a spot just up the street for a good photo-op right by the pier.

I suggest if you are going to HALIFAX, to take an excursion there instead. I did the Halifax, PEGGY's Cove Salmon bake tour there and we LOVED IT! Peggy's cove is a very quaint little fishing village and you can go out to the lighthouse and walk the intimate town. HERE's a TIP: If you go to Peggy's Cove, bring your passport. The lighthouse is actually a post office as well and they will stamp your passport for you with a unique shaped PEGGY's COVE LIGHTHOUSE stamp. :)

• 2 weeks later...
HERE's a TIP: If you go to Peggy's Cove, bring your passport. The lighthouse is actually a post office as well and they will stamp your passport for you with a unique shaped PEGGY's COVE LIGHTHOUSE stamp. :)

Sadly they closed the post office at Peggy's Cove :(

I too higly recommend Acey's guide. So much excellent information.

I am biased, but I would recommend renting a car and driving to the Coastal village of Saint Martins ( and seeing the Fundy Trail Parkway http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/ ).

Archived