Cell Phone Charges on my iPhone

Does your employer make the same charge applicable everywhere or just on ships?

Can you imagine. You're walking around somewhere in the US and get a call but decide not to answer it. You're telling us that your company will charge $4.99?

That being the case, you better start looking for another job, 'cause they'll be out of business real soon.

There is absolutely no way to be charged for making a Skype call. Skype calls use data, so the charges would be paid to the ship for use of their internet. (Exception is if one used Skype 3G, but then you have to turn on data roaming and if you do that, you'll be sorry!)

No, I was referring to the cruise ship. It does apply the same for international roaming, land or ship. A missed call on a powered on phone is one minute. It is not counted as one minute for a missed call while on land in the USA.

I know exactly how skype works but there is still absolutely no way I would risk it. I've been a customer service rep for one of the major cell phone companies for 2.5 years, I've seen tens of thousands of bills. Surprises aren't cool. I am not by any means saying you are going to get charged, but there is no way I would do it.

I have an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile. Before I went on the cruise I called T-Mobile before I left and they recommended I turn the data roaming off and also recommended that I turn my voicemail off (they do that on their end) that way if you receive a call it and don't answer that it will not forward to the voicemail system in the US. I did text a lot but it was free to receive and only .35 cents to send. I did receive 2 picture messages while on sea and turned the data roaming on just quick enough to receive the picture messages and then turned it back off. T-Mobile acknowledged the MMS messages but did not charge me any data roaming as I have a message package. The only talking I did was in Cabo for 3 mins to check on my daughter who was staying with my sister while we were gone and it only costs me $1.49/min. Not too bad.

You must work for Verizon because that who i have . I went on the Victory in Feb and i came home to a 350.00 bill. Most of it was for calls that were not answered. I will not do that again!!!!!!!!:mad:

Nope, I imagine all the cell phone companies charge for unanswered calls while roaming though. Not a fun bill if you don't know that!

I can't quite tell if this thread is specific to iPhones only or has grown into a thread about cell phone usage in general. My DW has an AT&T Blackberry with international calling (because her company operates in the USA, Canada, Mexico, as well as Europe). Does anyone have experience with this? I'm not sure if her BB usage is extremely different from the iPhone usage among the board. I know her BB is setup to receive all her email while she is away from her desk, not to mention the texting and calling features they want her to have when out of office.

Did I mention that her BB is provided by her company and we probaby wouldnt have to pay any charges anyway? But just in case, it would be good to know what to expect. Thanks!

I was not aware that you would be charged for simply having your phone on.

You're still missing the point others have been trying to explain here. Your sister was not charged just for having her phone "on". She was charged (as her carrier's rep explained to her) because her phone was using data throughout the cruise (her game apps were using data). She either should have turned data off or made sure that whatever games she was playing were not using data to "phone home" ( a lot of apps do this). She was very lucky to have those charges removed because they were not unintended or accidental charges; they simply stemmed from her not knowing how her phone apps really work.

Archived