Qe2 New To Cruising

hargs

Have stumbled onto this very interesting forum and would like to have some advice, as a newcomer to cruising and the QE2, as to what to expect in general.

The cabin that we have been allocated is M4128, but having followed up a lead from this forum regarding cabin square footage, I have spoken to the agent to see if we can be allocated a slightly larger one. The cabins either side of the same grade are 18 sq feet larger.

Can anyone give me any idea of bar prices? as an example.

What other expediture are we likely to have to meet ?

We are travelling 28th May for 13 nights and would be happy to correspond with anyone on the same cruise particularly if they are experienced in cruising and can offer advice.

Welcome aboard hargs.

We have stayed in 4124 a couple of times. It is a category C5. It is a nice cabin but still on the small size compared to the new ships.

Bar prices aren't too bad. Around $4.00 to $5.50 for any beer. The wine is on the average around $6.00 a glass in the bar areas. Not sure about mixed drinks.

Other expenditures, at your discretion, are tips (about $11.00 per day/per person), photos, flowers, and coke.

I hope you enjoy your trip on the QE2. She was the first of our cruising life and it will always be our favorite. She is getting old but they have tried to maintain her fairly well. Enjoy her, she is the last of the old style ocean liners.

Ed

Have stumbled onto this very interesting forum and would like to have some advice, as a newcomer to cruising and the QE2, as to what to expect in general.

The cabin that we have been allocated is M4128, but having followed up a lead from this forum regarding cabin square footage, I have spoken to the agent to see if we can be allocated a slightly larger one. The cabins either side of the same grade are 18 sq feet larger.

We are travelling 28th May for 13 nights and would be happy to correspond with anyone on the same cruise particularly if they are experienced in cruising and can offer advice.

Other expenditures can include the photos taken on one or more nights, but you need not purchase them if you do not want to. They are well done but can be a little expensive. You may want to buy souvenirs of this, the last great ocean liner. Clothing, silver and glassware are available. Take lots of pictures; you will be sailing on an important, even priceless , piece of maritime history. If you have time, read "The Only Way To Cross" or "The Sway of the Grand Saloon" before you sail. You will have a better understanding of, and appreciation for, the rich tradition that only this ship is heir to. She is the last of her kind, and when she is gone you will be able to count yourselves among the lucky few who will ever know what it was to sail on an real ocean liner. After that we are all stuck with the floating apartment buildings that pass for ships these days. Have a wonderful time, and feel free to ask me anything about the ship. If I can't answer your query, you can bet someone else on this board will be able to do so. Bon voyage.

Richard

Welcome to these boards.

The things that you will have to pay for separately are, generally, anything of "a personal nature." The major categories of items that you will have to pay for separately are the following:

(1) All alcoholic beverages. Soft drinks, coffee, etc., however, are included in cruise fare if in dining room, poolside, etc.

(2) Spa and salon services (massages, hair dresser, etc.)

(3) Tips. While these are at your discretion, one of the above posts has the usual amounts. Feel free to increase or decrease depending on quality of service. Tip the waiters and the room stewards.

If you do anything special in the dining room that involves the head waiter or maitre d' (eg, special dinner or special party), those persons should also be tipped accordingly. Obviously, tip in the bars etc., but I don't know whether tips are automatically added.

(4) Photo services. You will find your pictures being taken and posted. Purchases are completely at your discretion but, as noted above, prices tend to be a bit high. Remember, you can always use your own camera for most of the same shots. Bring film, memory cards, etc., as photography supplies are costly and of limited variety on board.

(5) Tours that you book through Cunard, whether before or during the cruise.

(6) Anything you purchase at the shops on board.

(7) Room service should you choose to eat in the cabin (again, it is possible that tips are automitically added for this - be sure to check w/Cunard).

Have a wonderful trip.

This point is so often overlooked. Unless you opt out you will be billed at the end of your cruise or crossing for the standard gratuities charge. This is an amount added to your account which Cunard states covers all your tipping obligations. Many pax seem to assume that it is nesessary to tip in addition. This is not the case. If you wish to do so it is best to tell Cunard that you wish to handle your gratuities yourself and opt out. The advantage of the fixed charge is that you know in advance how much it will cost for tipping. It does seem that tips have got somewhat out of hand lately largly due to us the clients.

David.

Has Cunard really started charging for room service? It was free in 2002 and 2003 and I sailed Mauretania level.

I had a room service full breakfast almost every morning and was never charged. And I know I could have had 24 hour room service without being charged on the two crossings I took.

AJ Theodore is wrong on two counts. There is no charge for Room Service which is available 24 hours a day from a limited menu. A tip of a dollar or two to the steward who makes the delivery is appropriate. Alcoholic beverages and sodas are individually charged with an automatic 15% gratuity added. There is no charge for coffee, tea, or juices. All prices onboard are in US Dollars, very good news for Europeans.

Welcome, hargs: We sailed the QE 2 July 2003 via her transatlantic sailing from Southampton, England to Manhattan, New York and it was a grand experience. I was pleasantly surprised by almost everything. Our cabin size was terrific, I can't remember what cabin but it was a corner and there was so much room for our family of 2 adults and 2 children that even the suitcases weren't in the way. It's an older ship so the beds can't be moved together as in other ships. I must say that the duvet and pillows made the sleeping experience pretty amazing. I can't remember ever having such a comfortable and restful sleep. I'm not new to sailing. The QE2 was my 10th cruise. I can't add much to all the postings about what to expect in terms of anticipated expenditures. But I want to share some info. There was alot to do and I took advantage of the gym and spa. As a vegetarian, I've had more choices on other cruiselines, but the service is wonderful and the food was quite good. I was disappointed in the entertainment - not the calibre I've come to expect on this type of vacation. And the "auditorium/dance floor" is a joke - rather small and in the middle of the atrium. But this is an older ship and just sailing on the Grand Dame is historical and magical. Have a wonderful time. I know you will.:cool:

Archived