Back to RCCL - what's changed?

My past three cruises have been with Carnival and I haven't been on a Royal Caribbean ship since 2007, so I'm a little out of the loop. We're sailing on Freedom next summer and I was just wondering what all has changed. Carnival recently has done away with the gala buffet and free drinks at the captain's welcome party, and they've added an exclusive behind the scenes tour than you can book when you board for a hefty but well-worth-it price. They've also eliminated semi-formal dress in the dining room and made the casual nights even more casual than before. Has any of this happened on RCCL? What else has changed?

The filet in MDR will now cost you $$$. The menu has been scaled back, but is still good. Many things have disappeared (mini-newspaper in library, chocolates on the pillow, toiletries replaced with a soap container stuck on shower wall,etc.) More pay dining options. Waiters stretched out a little more (as is cabin staff). Still a decent cruising experience (last RCL Feb. '10) Shows were pretty good. Didn't like the "dead time" when there was no entertainment. Why go to the piano bar if there is no music? (We used to walk out of the performances and make a pit stop there. Many venues had nothing for an hour or so after the shows let out. Saved us money - shouldn't complain. We ended up going back to the cabin usually. Plenty of shore excursions that are decent. Coupon books don't have much to them (unless you like to use the spa), but I've read they're going to improve the offerings. There is still fixed seating if you don't like the my time approach. ( I can walk around with a "beeper" on land while I wait for my table, why do it shipboard??) I do like the open dining in the dining room on sea days for breakfast and lunch, but wish there was "change" on the menues - it's pretty fixed.

That said, I was on the Ruby Princess in April and found where the "WOW" factor has gone. A little pricier, but it reminded me more of the old RCCL with a few added perks. When you have to fly from the midwest, you don't mind paying a little more for a better experience.:D (because you can't usually afford to do it as often as someone who lives near a port)

Have a nice trip!:D

Archived