Question about masks

dataz722

My wife and I went to a dive store the other day looking at snorkel gear and I did not find a single mask that would seal. The lady there said it was because of my goatee. Are there any masks designed for people with facial hair? Would normal swimming goggles work for snorkeling?

Some people will put vasoline on their mustache to help it seal. I know some divers will just shave so they have no problems. If it is really "bushy" maybe you could thin it out and try again.

Maybe something like the Camaro Seaya Goggle set on this page would hold a snorkel.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-599/Swimming-Swim-Goggles--Fins-and-Snorkels.html

Swimming goggles would work if you can attach your snorkel to them and are comfortable with some water up your nose.

Can you trim up to about 1/8 inch below your nose? It would probably help with the seal a lot.

I wouldn't mind the water and would probably prefer it so I could breathe out of my nose.

I could trim a little, I had just assumed it would all need to come off. I keep it pretty short and not bushy at all (when I am not being lazy :o).

My husband is a diver and has a beard and mustache. No problem getting the mask to seal...I think I would go back and see if there are other options available and maybe a more experienced sales person....

Agree. I have a friend with both and he dives with no problems.

Archived