Ship Excursions in Cozumel

Cruisin'BusyBee

What cruise line? I can't speak for the first tour, but the mayan ruins and beach tour for only $50.:confused: The Tulum ruins and beach tour usually runs around $100. The only other ruins tour which might include a beach would be the ruins on the mainland (San Gervasio). Is that what you are referring to?

It is the excursion to the San Gervasio ruins and a small beach. I've never been to these ruins, I've only been to those in Tulum. If you are looking to see ruins, but don't want to take the long journey to Tulum, then SG is for you.

Here's a review from another thread on the subject.

we did the San Gervasio Archaeological Site with beach break on our May 8th Liberty cruise and it was one of my favorites. My 70 year old Mom and I really wanted to try Tulum, but knew the travel time would just be too much.

We started by being led to a large, air-conditioned tour bus. Our guide (his name escapes me) drove us through Cozumel first, showing us sites and keeping us very informed on Cozumel and Mayan culture. The reason I can't remember his name is because my Mom mentioned he reminded her of a Mexican "Gus" from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Now all I can think of is Gus. He was so much fun he helped make the trip.

The Mayan ruins aren't grand or flashy. Mostly about as high as a single story building, but there is something about standing among the ancient buildings was amazing. A few areas are blocked, but there is a lot that you can touch. Most ask that you don't climb them, but a few don't even have that sign. There is an ancient road you can walk on part of the way. The area is large enough to feel worth it. You see multiple places, and get enough time to enjoy it. On the way out, they hand everyone a cold bottled water (very needed) and give you a little time to shop while there. There are a lot of mosquitoes, and I got bit 3-4 times but they stopped itching when I got in the water at the beach. You can buy bug repellant there, or pay a dollar to have them spray you down, but the product stunk way too much. I decided itching was a better choice.

My Mom and I weren't looking forward to the beach, just because it's not our thing, but we enjoyed that as well. It's a very small beach, behind a restaurant and hotel, but also very quiet. The area is rocky (actually coral I believe), but the sea is beautiful and was very nice to cool down in. I love looking at shells and coral, so kind of liked the rockier beach. We changed into our suites in the bathroom. You can also eat at the restaurant (there is an outdoor covered area) or sit in the lounge chair under an umbrella. You get a coupon for a free can of soda. You stay at the beach for about 1 1/2 hours, which was just right. We spoke with another cruiser on the ship who talked about it being "the worst beach she's ever been to," but we really liked it. Just don't expect a large expanse of sand.

When we got back to the ship, we had time to shower, eat lunch and go back into the port area for shopping. (The Liberty was in port until 10 PM) As we were getting back off the ship the group from Tulum were just getting back on. They looked wiped out! For us this was perfect.

OP, not sure if you are talking about the Twister Boat?? If so, you will have a blast. Think the snorkeling was just from the shore, nobody did any when we were there because it was cooler than normal (January) but the beach is beautiful & the ride is awesome. We had a blast!

If this is the one you are looking at, book ahead of time, it sells out early.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much SUNLUVA! This is JUST the info I was looking for. My DH wants to see the ruins but also spend some time on the beach. I don't think this is the kind of beach he is looking for, tho, but I couldn't tell from the Carnival description. So thanks for your info and for posting the other review as well!!

• 4 weeks later...
I would like to know too. We want to see the ruins, but I have been thinking about seeing the ruins in Belize and spending the day at a nice beach in Coz.

We would be interested in knowing as well. This may be our alternative to doing Tulum this cruise. We are seeing the ruins in Belize as well and 2 long tours with lots of transport time may be too much for us. San Gervasio seems like a good choice as it mixes a little bit of history with some beach time.

If anyone knows what beach is included in this Carnival tour to San Gervasio, it would be most appreciated.

Thank-you, Cari & Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Archived