Barbados via Serenade may 23

sunnymay

Barbados-

First stop on Serenade of the Seas 5/23 itinerary.

We decided to hit the Boatyard in Barbados. The crew on board suggested the boatyard as we had kids, plus I had read about it on the various boards. The taxi driver tried to talk us into a trip to the Caribbean side of the island, but we stood by our decision. We arrived at the Boatyard by 9am It was just ok. I loved Barbados and the beach!! If the Caribbean side is prettier, you are in for a treat!

We paid our $10 per person (after a $3 pp shuttle ride over) and got six chairs and two umbrellas. We got our included drink and proceeded to unpack for the day. We ended up a bit disappointed as the place was not quite as advertised. The

climbing wall ”iceburg” was broken and taken away, the rope swing was off limits as the water level was low and everything else cost money to do! We were offered jet skis at $45 for ½ hour and a turtle snorkel catamaran tour for $25 each for an hour. Plus if you wanted to play volleyball, it was another $15. Needless to say the kids got bored quickly. We did go up to the bar and ordered the flying fish fingers to try. Yummy! Our waitress had made her “special”sauce for us which was a dilution of the hot sauce with a little simple syrup. Really tasty.

It was a beautiful sunny day. Everyone was doused with 30 spf. My boys spent most of the time in the water and got burned. Bummer for the first day out!

The water was crystal clear and the sand talcum powder soft and white.

We left on the first shuttle out which was at 1:00. We went back to the ship, ate lunch and ventured back out to browse the terminal shops. My son decided he wanted to collect little flags from each island. I bought a magnet which is my usual souvenir of each travel stop. I understand that watches are the deal on Barbados, but we did not browse the selection. My eldest (14) found the Cuban cigars. I let him partake to sew some oats. He lit it and proceeded to gag. End of story. His older cousin finished it. LOL

I would love to go back to Barbados for a vacation stay. We drove by some historical sites and I would like to hit that Caribbean side!

If you were at the Boatyard, you were on the Caribbean side of the island.

Our east coast is the Atlantic side. You don't really want to swim and snorkle on the Atlantic side, but it is breathtaking. You must vist again and see our east coast. I think it has brought more people back to the island than our west coast has.

We would love to have you and your family visit us again for a longer stay.

:) :) :)

Thanks! Not sure why the cabbie told us we were going to the "atlantic" side at the boatyard! We loved Barbados. I live in Atlanta where Delta now flies direct to Barbados. I may jump on a deal to visit soon! Loved it!

Archived