trip insurance

normca

I won't cruise without it. We don't get a cruise operator's insurance, tho. We go with a third-party and make sure that it covers trip cancellation by the cruise line, not just by you. If you have elderly parents, good travel insurance is a must, since it will cover you if you need to cancel your trip due to ANY immediate family member's illness.

We have been using Travel Guard most recently. Rates are good, and coverage is great. Haven't had to use it, but it sure is worth piece of mind.

With all travel insurance, you need to get it within about 1-2 weeks of booking your cruise. We didn't get our airfare til much later, when we did, Travel Guard had no problem upping our insurance to cover those costs, as well for only a bit more.

Also, travel insurance can be a lifesaver if the cruise line goes under, as did Windjammer in 2007. While I am mentioning that, pay for your cruise with a credit card. Do not use a check! We were booked on a Windjammer cruise when the line shut down and our cruise was cancelled day we were to fly out. Our CC company refunded ALL our money within two weeks. From what I have heard, those who paid with a check are still out everything. That was when we decided it was worth it to pay with CC and also to have travel insurance.

There is a website that offers comparisons of the companies, but I just can't recall what it is. We found TG and have stayed with it. In past, we used CSA, but it is more expensive.

Sailor JM in San Diego

thanks for posting a reply-very helpful. Did find the site: insuremytrip.com and used that for quotes. Have bought.

One interesting point: talking to some of the reps, was told that we had to purchase the full dollar amount of the contract. NO SO!! I am assuming $3,000 risk and this significately lowered the premium.

Archived