Is there anything I should know about embarkation with DH in a wheelchair?

tvlevi

We are leaving from NYC on the Carnival Glory July 12. This is our first cruise with the wheelchair and I am wondering if there is anything I should know that I cannot think of.

I do hope you have an accessible cabin? And are you talking about a manual wheelchair, or a power chair?

Once you get to the pier, look for a Carnival representative (if they haven't already spotted you!) and ask for handicap priority boarding. They'll push the chair for you, and you and your husband will be moved to the front of the line and assisted onto the ship. After that, you'll be pretty much on your own.

Be aware that unless your husband can walk, whether or not he'll be able to participate in excursions will be dependent on whether the ship is docked at a pier (at which time he may be able to), or if passengers need to be tendered (at which time it is solely up to the crew and captain as to whether they will assist him getting in/out of the tender, and whether he can bring his chair).

Thanks. Yes we have an accessible cabin, thank goodness. DH can walk, but not for too long or far, so I think we will be OK for excursions. As far as I know this ship has been docking at the piers in Canada so I think we will be able to take the manual chair with us. I am happy to hear about the priority boarding. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Canadian cruise with my friend who ended up with a wheelchair. As the airlines do, wheelchair bound passengers are pushed thru fairly fast for embarkation and disembarkation was easy as well. We found the Princess staff was very helpful in getting us off the ship at the all ports. At some ports we were able to leave our wheelchair at the gangplank and pick it up upon returning to the ship. There were plenty of excursions to do that were fun and easy for my friend. Have a wonderful time.

I'm a fulltime wc user just wanted to put 2cent in

Just be sure to check which gang plank is for handicapped if you do plan on taking the chair off the ship the crew or daily schedule should tell you. sometimes they have a step at the bottom vs a full ramp to the ground although most lines are getting better at making them all wheelchair friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

Be sure to notify your cruise line and they will make sure you are taken care of, even with your dining room assignment.

Yes, the reps will take you to the front of the line or a special area for embarkation and disembarking if you let them know ahead of time.

Also, tendering needs special attention and I have had no problems as long as you are able to somwhat be mobile- they will get you on and off.

Have fun.

Archived