Review of July 10th Cruise

Packed and Leaving

So I leave tomorrow at 8 AM. I am all packed and ready to go. We overpacked, OF COURSE! We have three suitcases: one has shoes and toiletries, one has all of our hanging stuff and the third has the rest of our clothes. We are definitely overpacked.

I told my wife that we were overpacked. She said to me exactly what I thought she would say, "so what, no big deal." Sigh...I hate overpacking. Seeing all that stuff that you carried with you and never wore? Makes me crazy. My wife took all of the clothes out and put it on the bed. I did the packing. It put me in a grumpy mood. My wife asked me why I was in this grumpy mood and I snapped back, "packing!" A little while later she turned to me and said, "so, is packing for you like doing bills is for me?" I thought about that and turned to her and said, "yup!" Then she got it.

So I was trying to get my Roll Call to join me at Maya Chan. There was some interest, but then that kind of faded. Then one person mentioned that they were going to a similar place in Cozumel. So I asked, "is it Nachi Cocum." "Yes, that's it!" "Cool, cause I'm going there too!" That started the Roll Call, well, rolling. Ends up we have 18 people from the Roll Call going to Nachi, 11 adults and 7 kids! Should be a fun party! :D

I now present to you my full itinerary. This is so you can stalk me during the week as much as you please. ;) If you see my wife, don't mention everything on here. Some of it is a surprise! :cool: I showed this itinerary to my sister, she thinks I'm nuts. I don't care. :D On the bottom I have "other notes", tips I picked up on these boards that I don't want to forget!

Brian and Sheri's Oasis of the Seas Itinerary

DAY 1 - 10-July-2010 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Depart - 5:00 PM

FlowRider® Lessons (Pool & Sports Zone) - 6:15 PM

My Time Daily Reservations (or Izumi/Vintages) - 7:45 PM

Oasis of Dreams (Aquatheater) - 10:30 PM

DAY 2 - 11-July-2010 Cruising

Meet and Mingle (Dazzles) - 10:30 AM

Dinner at Giovanni's Table Restaurant (Central Park) - 7:00 PM

Hairspray (Opal Theater) - 10:30 PM

DAY 3 - 12-July-2010 Labadee, Haiti

Arrive - 7:00 AM

Dragon's Tail Coaster (Labadee) - 10:00 AM

Chef's Table (Concierge Lounge) - 7:30 PM

Standup Comedy Show (Comedy Live) - 11:30 PM

DAY 4 - 13-July-2010 Cruising

Frozen in Time (Studio B) - 5:00 PM

My Time Daily Reservations (or Izumi/Vintages) - 7:15 PM

Headliner Showtime (Opal Theater) - 10:30 PM

DAY 5 - 14-July-2010 Costa Maya, Mexico

Maya Chan (Taxi from Pier) - 9:00 AM

Arrive - 12:00 Noon

Depart - 7:00 PM

Dinner at Chops Grille (Central Park) - 8:00 PM

DAY 6 - 15-July-2010 Cozumel, Mexico

Arrive - 8:00 AM

Nachi Cocum (Shared Taxi) - 9:00 AM

Solarium Bistro Restaurant (Pool & Sports Zone) - 7:30 PM

Depart - 8:00 PM

Come Fly With Me (Opal Theater) - 10:45 PM

DAY 7 - 16-July-2010 Cruising

150 Central Park Restaurant (Central Park) - 8:30 PM

Day 8 - 17-July-2010 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Arrive (Cry) - 7:00 AM

Other Notes:

Buy the Live the Oasis book at the On Air Club during specified times.

Check out Deck 15 - nice walk all the way around.

Check out Deck 14 Fore, especially during sail away – enter on port side.

Do the Zip Line. Do the Flow Rider.

Check out Deck 11 Aft - nice quiet lounge area with views of the Aqua Theater.

Make reservations for Izumi – Day 1 or Day 4 – Oasis 360 (Studio B). Eat at Vintages.

Check out the places needed for the photo book.

When I return, I shall be posting my daily review. This review will have a lot to say about the food, since I plan on hitting every restaurant (see the itinerary for details). But it will not only be about that, it will be about everything Oasis. It's interesting to read all of the reviews, but they are clearly NOT my perspective. I know my perspective will be different than everyone elses. That's one thing that makes it special and interesting. I have enjoyed everyone's review and I hope you will enjoy mine. I so appreciate these boards and what they have allowed me to do in planning my cruise. This entire post is the result of that help you have given me. So THANK YOU and see you when I get back!

Next Part - Pre-Cruise Hotel Stay (in a week or so)

An entire week w/o a new post. Oh my! Oh my! I so love your writing style and look forward to your review. Have a wonderful time and safe travels. I copied/pasted your plans as I wish to copy-cat in the spring.

An entire week w/o a new post. Oh my! Oh my! I so love your writing style and look forward to your review. Have a wonderful time and safe travels. I copied/pasted your plans as I wish to copy-cat in the spring.

Yeah. I decided NO COMPUTER ON THIS TRIP. Maybe I'll use some of my minutes to drop by and say HELLO. You never know. ;)

Brian - have a great cruise and I look forward to reading your review.

If you check back in before you leave, I have one last piece of advice. It's great to plan (and you have a GREAT itinerary), but don't let yourself get disappointed if a couple of things fall out of plan. I predict that your review will be minus 1 or 2 shows and maybe minus one of the planned dinners.

So glad to see that you're doing the FlowRider lesson on Day 1. That will really help you out the rest of the week!

And, finally, take some time each day - remind yourself - write yourself a note if you need to - to just take a deep breath, relax, look around you, and enjoy this amazing ship and this amazing vacation.

Enjoy!

Packed and Leaving

So I leave tomorrow at 8 AM. I am all packed and ready to go. We overpacked, OF COURSE! We have three suitcases: one has shoes and toiletries, one has all of our hanging stuff and the third has the rest of our clothes. We are definitely overpacked.

I told my wife that we were overpacked. She said to me exactly what I thought she would say, "so what, no big deal." Sigh...I hate overpacking. Seeing all that stuff that you carried with you and never wore? Makes me crazy. My wife took all of the clothes out and put it on the bed. I did the packing. It put me in a grumpy mood. My wife asked me why I was in this grumpy mood and I snapped back, "packing!" A little while later she turned to me and said, "so, is packing for you like doing bills is for me?" I thought about that and turned to her and said, "yup!" Then she got it.

So I was trying to get my Roll Call to join me at Maya Chan. There was some interest, but then that kind of faded. Then one person mentioned that they were going to a similar place in Cozumel. So I asked, "is it Nachi Cocum." "Yes, that's it!" "Cool, cause I'm going there too!" That started the Roll Call, well, rolling. Ends up we have 18 people from the Roll Call going to Nachi, 11 adults and 7 kids! Should be a fun party! :D

I now present to you my full itinerary. This is so you can stalk me during the week as much as you please. ;) If you see my wife, don't mention everything on here. Some of it is a surprise! :cool: I showed this itinerary to my sister, she thinks I'm nuts. I don't care. :D On the bottom I have "other notes", tips I picked up on these boards that I don't want to forget!

Brian and Sheri's Oasis of the Seas Itinerary

DAY 1 - 10-July-2010 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

FlowRider® Lessons (Pool & Sports Zone) - 6:15 PM

My Time Daily Reservations (or Izumi/Vintages) - 7:45 PM

Oasis of Dreams (Aquatheater) - 10:30 PM

DAY 2 - 11-July-2010 Cruising

Meet and Mingle (Dazzles) - 10:30 AM

Dinner at Giovanni's Table Restaurant (Central Park) - 7:00 PM

Hairspray (Opal Theater) - 10:30 PM

DAY 3 - 12-July-2010 Labadee, Haiti

Arrive - 7:00 AM

Dragon's Tail Coaster (Labadee) - 10:00 AM

Chef's Table (Concierge Lounge) - 7:30 PM

Standup Comedy Show (Comedy Live) - 11:30 PM

DAY 4 - 13-July-2010 Cruising

Frozen in Time (Studio B) - 5:00 PM

My Time Daily Reservations (or Izumi/Vintages) - 7:15 PM

Headliner Showtime (Opal Theater) - 10:30 PM

DAY 5 - 14-July-2010 Costa Maya, Mexico

Maya Chan (Taxi from Pier) - 9:00 AM

Arrive - 12:00 Noon

Depart - 7:00 PM

Dinner at Chops Grille (Central Park) - 8:00 PM

DAY 6 - 15-July-2010 Cozumel, Mexico

Arrive - 8:00 AM

Nachi Cocum (Shared Taxi) - 9:00 AM

Solarium Bistro Restaurant (Pool & Sports Zone) - 7:30 PM

Depart - 8:00 PM

Come Fly With Me (Opal Theater) - 10:45 PM

DAY 7 - 16-July-2010 Cruising

150 Central Park Restaurant (Central Park) - 8:30 PM

Day 8 - 17-July-2010 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Arrive (Cry) - 7:00 AM

Other Notes:

Buy the Live the Oasis book at the On Air Club during specified times.

Check out Deck 15 - nice walk all the way around.

Check out Deck 14 Fore, especially during sail away – enter on port side.

Do the Zip Line. Do the Flow Rider.

Check out Deck 11 Aft - nice quiet lounge area with views of the Aqua Theater.

Make reservations for Izumi – Day 1 or Day 4 – Oasis 360 (Studio B). Eat at Vintages.

Check out the places needed for the photo book.

When I return, I shall be posting my daily review. This review will have a lot to say about the food, since I plan on hitting every restaurant (see the itinerary for details). But it will not only be about that, it will be about everything Oasis. It's interesting to read all of the reviews, but they are clearly NOT my perspective. I know my perspective will be different than everyone elses. That's one thing that makes it special and interesting. I have enjoyed everyone's review and I hope you will enjoy mine. I so appreciate these boards and what they have allowed me to do in planning my cruise. This entire post is the result of that help you have given me. So THANK YOU and see you when I get back!

Brian, Since you will not be reading this until you get back, I hope you and your DW had a wonderful, fun, exciting and fantastic vacation :D

I had to laugh at "Day 7 arrive (cry)" because we have planned a "kicking and screaming party" for the last day. As in, they will have to drag us all off kicking and screaming while those who are doing a back to back simply sit there, sipping their coffee and smiling :D

Edna

Have a FANTASTIC cruise! We will be following you on the 7/17 cruise! I will be reporting LIVE, and will start the thread on Friday the 16th (I have reported live for the past 4 cruises and always start the thread one or two days before so I can gather any questions in advance. I usually post 2-3 times a day)...after my 15 1/2 hour train from NC (I don't fly).

For anyone who wishes to watch as BrianAlt leaves today I found a post on my roll call thread for this webcam, great view of the Oasis as she's docked right now and I imagine if we tune in around 5pm we should be able to watch the departure.

http://mortgagemobile.com/Ft_Lauderdale_Florida_Web_Cam.html

There's a neat control system for it as well...you can actually move the webcam yourself and zoom in, pan around etc. for 2 min intervals...very cool until someone moves it to the palm tree view instead of the port! :eek: LoL

Anyways just thought I'd pass this along, if I'd found it sooner we could have told Brian to stand on the starboard side and wave to us! :)

Brian...great review so far, getting excited for planning my cruise and it's not till Dec. :( but I hope you have an awesome trip and we all look forward to your complete review when you return.

Cheers

Persnickety

For anyone who wishes to watch as BrianAlt leaves today I found a post on my roll call thread for this webcam, great view of the Oasis as she's docked right now and I imagine if we tune in around 5pm we should be able to watch the departure.

There's a neat control system for it as well...you can actually move the webcam yourself and zoom in, pan around etc. for 2 min intervals...very cool until someone moves it to the palm tree view instead of the port! :eek: LoL

Anyways just thought I'd pass this along, if I'd found it sooner we could have told Brian to stand on the starboard side and wave to us! :)

Brian...great review so far, getting excited for planning my cruise and it's not till Dec. :( but I hope you have an awesome trip and we all look forward to your complete review when you return.

Cheers

Persnickety

So glad to hear you found the cam and are enjoying the view of the many comings and goings at Port Everglades. If you didn't already find it, there's an alternate view-only mode and historical archive here : PortFever.com

And yes... you will indeed be able to watch the full Oasis sail-away LIVE and also catch the highlights later in the Port Fever archive. One of the site admins usually controls the camera positioning during sail-aways to ensure you get the best possible view. We try and spot people too... if we know where they are hiding! :)

Kind regards,

David.

Cheers

Persnickety

VERY COOL SITE THANKS!!!! Just finished watching Oasis pull away. In several weeks it will be our turn. :D I was thinking of asking them about "request a cruise ship wave" but, didn't know where we will be standing during sail away yet. :confused: Thanks again persnickety!

VERY COOL SITE THANKS!!!! Just finished watching Oasis pull away. In several weeks it will be our turn. :D I was thinking of asking them about "request a cruise ship wave" but, didn't know where we will be standing during sail away yet. :confused: Thanks again persnickety!

You're very welcome but it's Port Fever you should thank, I read on the other thread that it belongs to him. I just watched the sail away as well...very cool indeed. :cool:

I'd try to catch an arrival live but that would involve getting up early and I'm not really a fan of that..lol

As for picking a spot to stand for a wave the deck in front of the Solarium looked like a good spot, or the "wings" that stick out over top of the bridge area. I guess there's no guarantee you can get to that spot but it's worth a shot! :)

You're very welcome but it's Port Fever you should thank, I read on the other thread that it belongs to him. I just watched the sail away as well...very cool indeed. :cool:

I'd try to catch an arrival live but that would involve getting up early and I'm not really a fan of that..lol

As for picking a spot to stand for a wave the deck in front of the Solarium looked like a good spot, or the "wings" that stick out over top of the bridge area. I guess there's no guarantee you can get to that spot but it's worth a shot! :)

No thanks required but always appreciated! Just glad you enjoyed the show.

I do run the Port Fever site but do not own or operate the webcam. Belongs to a good friend who lives right there on the inlet ... lucky dog! He also lets me drive the webcam for sail-aways as I was doing today.

On top of the bridge or wing is a good spot to be caught on the webcam. Port side balconies can work but need a bit of luck and lots of identifying info to find you and the cabin!!! For "wave request photos" (which my friend does if he's in town) the aft balcony on deck 11 is a very good and less known spot. Webcam can catch that too. You can see what I mean here:

http://www.inletphotos.com/Cruise-Ship-Waves/Royal-Caribbean-Cruise-Lines/Oasis-of-the-Seas-Waves/

Yeah. I decided NO COMPUTER ON THIS TRIP. Maybe I'll use some of my minutes to drop by and say HELLO. You never know. ;)

Brian have a great cruise, we will be doing a b2b in Oct 2010. Looking forward to your review when you get back. Thanks for the pre-cruise.

Suz

My apologies to both of you. :o I am happy to find this site!

My husband and I along with great friends will be sailing next month. I do have the wings and aft balcony on deck 11 as a spot to go for the sail away in my notes.

Thanks PortFever for the info and site to check out. They are great photos!! They would be awesome to have of our cruise next month. I will have to fill out the request form soon!!! ;)

Brian have a great cruise, we will be doing a b2b in Oct 2010. Looking forward to your review when you get back. Thanks for the pre-cruise.

Suz

Hi Suzanne! Good to see you are still cruising! I leave in 6 days to board this amazing ship.....look for my LIVE report!!

Hi Suzanne! Good to see you are still cruising! I leave in 6 days to board this amazing ship.....look for my LIVE report!!

Hi Denice, I have not stopped cruising, we just love this mode of travelling. Where will you be posting your live report, will it be on the Oasis or RCCL thread?

We are looking forward to our cruises in Oct. Will follow your live report, thanks for doing it.

Have a great time

Suz

Hi Denice, I have not stopped cruising, we just love this mode of travelling. Where will you be posting your live report, will it be on the Oasis or RCCL thread?

We are looking forward to our cruises in Oct. Will follow your live report, thanks for doing it.

Have a great time

Suz

If the Oasis thread is still it's own entity next Friday when I begin the thread, I will post it there. If not, it will be on the main RCCL boards.

I am soooooooooooooooooooo excited. Been a long time since I was on a ship that was not a" sister ship" that I was so familiar with. It will be exciting to explore a new ship!!

If the Oasis thread is still it's own entity next Friday when I begin the thread, I will post it there. If not, it will be on the main RCCL boards.

I am soooooooooooooooooooo excited. Been a long time since I was on a ship that was not a" sister ship" that I was so familiar with. It will be exciting to explore a new ship!!

Look forward to your live report. I will be with you in spirit anticipating my cruise.

Have fun exploring

Suz

And I will be with you too! :cool: We leave next month after booking (when they first opened) and waiting two longgggg years! :rolleyes: I believe the day we arrive back will be the day we booked two years prior. :eek:

Enjoy your cruise dzboss1 and we will be reading your posts daily - well maybe more than that. :eek:

Have fun.

don't let yourself get disappointed if a couple of things fall out of plan. I predict that your review will be minus 1 or 2 shows and maybe minus one of the planned dinners.

I did see this before I left and I was going to tell you, "shows, sure, dinner, NEVER!" I missed 2 shows, the Headliner and the Comedy Show. I had good reasons for both. You can read about it in my review. :D

And, finally, take some time each day - remind yourself - write yourself a note if you need to - to just take a deep breath, relax, look around you, and enjoy this amazing ship and this amazing vacation.

Oh, I did! I sooooo did! I relaxed LOTS. I know the itinerary looked busy, but I had my mornings and afternoons free. And I loved it. More to come!

Archived