Belize tender questions

gogetter

I know we had to take steps down to the boarding area for the tender, but not sure if there was an elevator to that level, and we just did the stairs. The tender has one step and it was pulled pretty close to the ship, and there are people helping passengers step into the tender.

Does she have a wheelchair at all? I think actually getting on and off the tender she'd be fine, there are always plenty of people to help with that. I ask because I'm wondering what kind of excursion you're looking at. There's really nothing to do or see in Belize City itself (no real shopping area to speak of), and I'm thinking cave tubing and the ruins may be challenging for her.

If it were me, knowing what I know now, I'd probably stay on the ship. I know that's exactly what I'll be doing if we go there again.

There is a lot to do other than what is on the port. We went with nacho of

NCQ Adventures. On their website they offer several alternative tours including the Zoo. We went ziplining and cave tubing but we also stopped by there zoo. It was amazing! Contact him to discuss some alternatives.

You don't have to just stay on the boat the interior of Belize is beautiful.

Hello,

No wheelchair.

All we really do is some walking, resting for her when needed and shopping and/or a beach.

Not afarid to get a taxi or other transportation once we are there.

No excursions, just on our own.

Thanks for the help you all......

Honestly, there really isn't any shopping. A standard Diamonds International and some really really crappy souvenir shops. And Belize is DEFINATELY not somewhere you want to be wandering around without a booked excursion. The only beaches you must take a ferry boat to and there's really nowhere to take even a taxi to.

It's obviously up to you, but I'm telling you truthfully that it isn't worth the trouble to get off the ship. Especially considering the tender process here...it takes 20-30 minutes of waiting to get off the ship, and an additional 30 minutes there and that just one way.

I have to say that I disagree with that it's not worth it to get off the ship. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, but many of us don't want to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to stay on the ship. There is always something worthwhile to see or do. The tourist village has the typical cruise recommended stores that are in every other port, and a few other shops and restaurants. It is perfectly fine for a bit of shopping and fresh air. Going outside the gates is definitely a bit more frightening here than other ports as many people are vying for tourists dollars and the area is quite poor, but some people are braver than others. There is a large flea market area just outside the gates and though I haven't wandered there myself, I see many cruisers shopping there.

My sister and I signed up for a three hour tour of "Sights and Sounds of Belize" and it was a nice way to get an overview of the Olde Belize area. To see the real beauty of Belize, a tour is worthwhile.

As for getting on and off the tender, it shouldn't be a problem. All you have to do is ask for a hand and someone will assist if needed. There are many mobility impaired people on cruises and the cruiselines go out of there way to be helpful. It is like a cattle call getting on and off though- I don't think there's any escaping that unless you wait until the masses get off and return before the same masses return in the afternoon.

I agree with Dr Sue. It's worth it to get off the ship if you do nothing more than the Tourist Village -- have a bite and drink at the Wet Lizard; send a post card to a friend; etc.

We are looking at booking a non-cruise excursion to Bannister Island, or doing a 'self guided walking tour' we found on-line.

There is likely an elevator that will go down to the tender boarding area.

Enjoy your cruise.

Legend494.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

I think it's fantastic your taking your wife to Belize life is to short. We only do the shops and sit and rest at the bar at the pier and try the local beers. As far as getting off the ship thier is a elevator that goes to that floor. Enjoy your trip I'm shur you and your wife will have a good time!

It looks like CCL has moved into the new pier they built called Mahogany Bay with thier own little town and beach area. I don't think they will be going to the old one and no longer need a tender. try this web site it has some info and a few pic's. http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Roatan's-new-Mahogany-Bay-cruise-center/G1485,A6499

It looks like CCL has moved into the new pier they built called Mahogany Bay with thier own little town and beach area. I don't think they will be going to the old one and no longer need a tender. try this web site it has some info and a few pic's. http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Roatan's-new-Mahogany-Bay-cruise-center/G1485,A6499

That's Roatan, not Belize.

You may know this already, but I'll share incase you don't. Last year, my parents were on a cruise with us on Carnival in Nov. Both of them are "mildly handicapped" as well. They both have the handicap parking permits, so we filled out the form for them and stated such, they were aloud to embark at the beginning early, then they could come down early to debark at ports. It seemed to work well for the 2 of them, saved some of the standing in line and waiting for both of them. If I remember right, it is only valid for people in their cabin, or 1 additional companion something like that. But they were able to sit at a bar until the rest of us got thru.

I agree with Dr Sue. It's worth it to get off the ship if you do nothing more than the Tourist Village -- have a bite and drink at the Wet Lizard; send a post card to a friend; etc.

We are looking at booking a non-cruise excursion to Bannister Island, or doing a 'self guided walking tour' we found on-line.

There is likely an elevator that will go down to the tender boarding area.

Enjoy your cruise.

Glad to hear the WET LIZARD is still there. We were there a couple cruises ago and I myself am looking forward to going back.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived