Lisbon to Barbados Trans Atlantic Crossing in November? & General Question

Sanford & Son

1. If any one has taken this cruise how full or unfull was it being it is a repositioning cruise with no stops? When I called Windstar to check pricing and availability I was told it was wide open as of 6/23 she would not elaborate further as to percentage or number of cabins. At this point it is 5 months out from the cruise date. Do they fill up closer in.

2. I am traveling solo age 55 will I feel a bit out of place is it mainly couples wanting personal space and time together? I am not looking for a wild time nice quite time meet some new people eat some good food enjoy some good wine and R & R deck time reading plus have a new experience never taken a Trans Atlantic nor spent 13 nights sailing cruising with out stops? A sailing ship sounds like fun even though it is more motorized then a true sailing vessel.

How social are people and open to meeting others. Important being a solo traveler or it could be long lonely 13 nights at sea?

3. What will the weather be like for a Lisbon to Barbados Trans Atlantic Crossing in November?

4. How accommodating are chefs to special food issues such as heart smart no sauces or sauces on the side?

Is there an option for simple grilled or baked fish chicken and so on?

Thank you in advance for your responses to my questions,

Sanford

We have done 3 Winstar crossings to Barbados and there are usually 150 or less passengers. The weather at that time of year is cool at the beginning, but not unbearablem and it gradually warms as you sail South. There are many repeaters and all are very friendly. Food and service is very good and if you have special dietary needs, notifying Windstar in advance will solve the problem. There is a main , open seating dining room and 2 "special" dining rooms if you want a change. Hope this helps answer some of your concerns. If you are looking to be entertained, it is limited.

Thank you for the reply.

You have the experience doing it 3 times. May I ask why you like or prefer this small a ship for such a long journey?

On a larger ship the same trip takes 7 nights traveling faster so I guess the weather warms up quicker.

150 people or less is sort of very quite and lower key. Services must be tapered down staff wise. Do they still do a full performance in the lounge by the small music group or does that become even more basic with less passengers?

As long as others are social at meal times and cocktail hour before dinner plus occasionally like to chat on deck that to me is being engaged or entertained. Did you find this to be the case? I am not a big trivia player party game time type of person on the larger ships that seams to be the main entertainment or activity sea days usually.

On my past cruises I always traveled solo and ended up by the first or second day making a few friends to chat with be it they were who were at my dinner table or we met at cocktail hour or on deck or at the breakfast or lunch buffet. My last cruise was to Asia 2 weeks on Costa usually had a early continental breakfast and ended up chatting almost daily with a Dutch fellow about politics and philosophy. My dinner table companions were a couple from Mexico City we hit it off very well and joked a lot many times decided to meet for cocktail prior to dinner also took 2 tours with them we decided to do this. By the time the cruise ended we were like old friends knew every thing about each other. Met another guy at breakfast one morning we ended up meeting again he asked if I would be his trivia helper .... not my thing but we got even more acquainted then saw him the next morning we had coffee mid morning together spent 3 hours chatting away. The 3 other couples I got to know were on tour buses with me then met later on at cocktails before dinner and sat with them in the lounge. Sort of the way it seems to work on cruises at least for me.

Archived