Will ES experts please weigh in......

cod

Months ago DD (active military), her DH and their 11 year old son booked a 5 night Elation cruise for July at the ES rate. The 1st and 2nd rates have held steady all this time...until today.

I've been watching the rates for her and saw that there is now a Military rate that is lower for the 1st and 2nd....only $10 less pp but $20 is $20. But because the 3rd person rate is higher now than when they booked, the pvp said they aren't eligible....he said the a rate reduction must be for everyone in a cabin.

To me that is an almost impossible scenario since published rates are just for the 1st and 2nd and 3rd/4th rates seldom change...they are lower early on and usually go up as cruise time approaches.

So if he is right(????), checking rates for more than 2 in a cabin - if you've booked an ES rate - is a colossal waste of time!

If he is right, so be it. But if you've experienced this and he is wrong, please let me know.

Thanks!!!!

you have to check the rates for three people. sometimes the rate for the 1st two is a tad lower and added to the third person.

you also have to be checking the category cabin that is booked.

Our pride came down by 20.pp but the 3rd person rate stayed the same. We got the 40 bucks

So our cruise price has dropped twice ( today being the second time) I am booked ES.. only the first 2 dropped but the 3rd( my son) did not and we still got the sale price...Take a look on Carnival.com as a regular joe/jane customer shopping for a cruise when you are looking at the category sections for rooms click on the edit beside the room number that the computer pulls up and see if your assigned room category on your reservation is still available and what the prices are for the 1st and 2nd and then for the 3&4th people... in our case our sons rate was 419 and still is but ours has gone from 739 to709 and now to 679.. we have no save 120.00 combine.. that is alot of chocolate martini's...:D

Drat! But thanks anyway for the bad news.

Yes, I've been checking their particular category...6B. And yes, the 3rd person rate now is more than they paid when they booked.

So, for them to have qualified, the 3rd person rate would at least had to remain the same and not be higher as it is now? Just trying to understand how it works since 3rd or 4th rates don't go up-and-down with 1st and 2nd.

Well, thanks for replying. And there I was, all set to call him back and say, "I just checked with fellow cruisers on cruisecritic and THEY say..........."!!!! lol

To me that is an almost impossible scenario since published rates are just for the 1st and 2nd and 3rd/4th rates seldom change...they are lower early on and usually go up as cruise time approaches.

So if he is right(????), checking rates for more than 2 in a cabin - if you've booked an ES rate - is a colossal waste of time!

Rates can change up OR down at any time, so don't give up! And bless you for being such a good mom and doing the legwork for them. Thank her for her service to our country! ;)

So our cruise price has dropped twice ( today being the second time) I am booked ES.. only the first 2 dropped but the 3rd( my son) did not and we still got the sale price...Take a look on Carnival.com as a regular joe/jane customer shopping for a cruise when you are looking at the category sections for rooms click on the edit beside the room number that the computer pulls up and see if your assigned room category on your reservation is still available and what the prices are for the 1st and 2nd and then for the 3&4th people... in our case our sons rate was 419 and still is but ours has gone from 739 to709 and now to 679.. we have no save 120.00 combine.. that is alot of chocolate martini's...:D

Your son's rate did not go up, which is why you were still eligible. The first 2 passengers went down, which means the price for the whole cabin went down. Sometimes the first two passengers go down, but the third goes up. In this scenario the actually price for the cabin may then be higher than the originally booked price so you would not get the discount.

Archived