Behind the Fun Tour

ClydeHill

Hi, Karen:

Thanks so much! I would really appreciate it. This is a high priority for us, so want to do everything I can to make sure we get on this tour!

Since this is a new ship for us, we'll definitely want to do some exploring, but not until we get this excursion booked. :D

I hope you're planning to write a review when you return!

Thanks!

Jayne

Hi Midi~

You're sailing a few weeks after we do....so I'll make sure to share some of this info with you when we get back. I do believe the Excursion Desk is open about 1or 1:30pm....close to when the MDR is open to talk with MaitreD about dining requests.

We plan to get to the port about 11am...and this time we have VIP boarding...so hopefully, we'll be able to take care of these things soon after boarding. DD18 says she's not sure about the 'behind the scenes' tour...thought maybe 'Dad & I would enjoy some alone time doing that' :) (translation = she doesn't want to go!:D)

It's important to have a 'to-do' list when you get on board...for some of those things that need to be taken care of ASAP. And I love to locate our room...drop off our carry-ons, and meet our room steward. Then......'drinks w/umbrellas' and steel drum music complete my afternoon before sailing...and getting ready for our first dinner of the cruise! :p

Regarding the shoes. So you have to have closed toe and closed back shoes? I was not planning on bring any closed toed shoes. I will have Keen sandals partially covered toes and open back. So that would not be allowed? Just curious.

We went thru lots of areas where I wouldn't have wanted to be in any kind of open shoe. Galley as well as Waste Collection Areas just to name a couple plus lots of stairs that were pretty tricky too.

Several people were sent back to their cabins for closed toed shoes and our tour was slightly late getting started because of it. There was one woman who said she didn't know you weren't suppose to wear flip flops and she didn't have anything else. The tour was ready to leave by the time she told the guide and he did let her go but wasn't happy about it. I wouldn't take a chance on trying to get by without the correct shoes but I'm not sure how they classify the Keen Sandals.

We went thru lots of areas where I wouldn't have wanted to be in any kind of open shoe. Galley as well as Waste Collection Areas just to name a couple plus lots of stairs that were pretty tricky too.

Several people were sent back to their cabins for closed toed shoes and our tour was slightly late getting started because of it. There was one woman who said she didn't know you weren't suppose to wear flip flops and she didn't have anything else. The tour was ready to leave by the time she told the guide and he did let her go but wasn't happy about it. I wouldn't take a chance on trying to get by without the correct shoes but I'm not sure how they classify the Keen Sandals.

I have changed my mind and will be bringing a pair of Keen lace up shoes just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your response. :)

Is this tour available on all the ships? And what day do they offer it? Does it vary or is it the day where you arrive to your destination.

Is there an age limit?

I'm not sure if it's available on all ships but it seems to be on most now. From what I understand, it's always the last sea day.

Also not sure of an age limit but there was one young boy around 7 on our tour. Parts of the tour can get a little technical and long for a child and I would hesitate to take one but he really seemed to enjoy it. On the other hand, there was one teenage girl who seemed bored for most of the tour. You'd have to take into consideration what the child's interest were. Otherwise it's a waste of money and annoying for others. Not to mention the tour sells out and it would be a shame to make an uninterested child go and cause an adult to miss out.

Regarding the shoes. So you have to have closed toe and closed back shoes? I was not planning on bring any closed toed shoes. I will have Keen sandals partially covered toes and open back. So that would not be allowed? Just curious.

You are going to be on your feet for almost 4 hours straight. I would say a pair of tennis shoes would be your best bet.

We're sailing on the Splendor in August and I've wanted to this tour from the first time I heard about it. :) Does anyone know what time the excursion desk opens or if it's open during boarding? We haven't booked any excursions through the ship in years so I've never noticed. :o

Thanks!

We boarded the Glory by 12 (we were literally the 1st people on the ship other than the special parties) and I dropped stuff on the Lido deck and went straight to shore excursion desk. They were open and we were the second people to sign up. They did end up running two tours so I am sure you will be fine if you walk straight there when you board.

It was a great experience. When we went to the bridge, we were in a huge fog bank - so we had the opposite experience of being able to see for miles. The Captain was already on the bridge due to the fog and the ship was being sailed manually as opposed to autopilot. Neat.

We boarded the Glory by 12 (we were literally the 1st people on the ship other than the special parties) and I dropped stuff on the Lido deck and went straight to shore excursion desk. They were open and we were the second people to sign up. They did end up running two tours so I am sure you will be fine if you walk straight there when you board.

It was a great experience. When we went to the bridge, we were in a huge fog bank - so we had the opposite experience of being able to see for miles. The Captain was already on the bridge due to the fog and the ship was being sailed manually as opposed to autopilot. Neat.

Thanks for all the great info. We're canceling one of our excursions just so we can do this one. Can't wait! :)

My husband and I are equally excited about this! Due to ES drops for OBC we can afford to do it and not cancel our other activities. I think this is the excursion I am MOST excited about! (others are horseback riding on th beach, Atlantis, parasailing, and white knuckle thrill ride)

Thank you--that's encouraging. :)

Archived