Kauai: driving to Waimea Canyon and to the North Shore

osandomir

Please tell me if it's possible to drive to Waimea Canyon in the morning and than go to the North shore on the same day. Did anybody try to do it and how did it work timewise? Also, what is the latest time to return Thrifty rental car on Kauai?

We are doing helio flight the next morning and don't plan to keep the rental car the second day.

Thank you.

Please tell me if it's possible to drive to Waimea Canyon in the morning and than go to the North shore on the same day. Did anybody try to do it and how did it work timewise? Also, what is the latest time to return Thrifty rental car on Kauai?

We are doing helio flight the next morning and don't plan to keep the rental car the second day.

Thank you.

We did this. I picked up the rental car at Thrifty at 8:44 AM. Not sure I could have gotten there much sooner as the ship does not arrive until 8 AM, but I did take a cab, so it might have been longer if I waited for the shuttle. I did have to go back to the ship and pick up disabled 81-year-old parents and 79-year-old aunt, so you might be able to save time there - we probably weren't on the road until about 9:15 or so.

We went all the way to the third (last) viewpoint in Koke'e State Park. Unfortunately, we were socked in by fog at this point. We stopped at many viewpoints along the way first. I'd recommend driving straight to the last viewpoint (Pu'u o Kila, where you can see the Napali Coast) first, then work your way backwards on Waimea Canyon Drive. We also had time to stop at the Koke'e Museum and gift shop. We also stopped at Russian Fort Elizabeth just outside Waimea.

Then we went to the North Shore. We took detours to view the Kilauea Lighthouse (from a distance; we opted not to go into the wildlife sanctuary and walk to it) and to Anini Beach, where we waded a little. We continued on to Hanalei and did a little shopping there. Then we headed back to the ship, because my group was tired and hungry (we did bring sandwiches we made at Aloha Cafe at breakfast to eat during the day).

On the way back we stopped at Banana Joe's Fruit Stand, which is right near Kilauea town. I specifically remember that we got there just after 5 PM as we had stopped to get a smoothie, and they stop making them at 5 PM, but had just enough left over that we could get five small ones.

Can't answer your question about how late Thrifty is open since we kept the car overnight. Keep in mind that even if shuttles aren't running, you can always take a cab back to the ship.

If your group is younger/more active, you can probably drive further than Hanalei and/or do more stuff along the way.

The OP's comments are factual but you should also bear in mind that traffic on Kauai is getting worse and worse and that there is really only one road around the island. We visit there fairly often and were there for a few weeks this past Spring. One day when we were going up to Princeville there was road construction in two places, so we had an hour delay going up and the same thing coming back. Another day we were driving from Lihue to Poipu and there was an accident that closed the road for several hours. Don't want to be a killjoy but it's something you might want to factor into your planning. Nomatter what it is a beautiful island and I'm sure you will enjoy your time there.:)

smslms is right, traffic can be bad, and I don't think you can drive much over 55 mph on any of the roads. We weren't worried our first day as we definitely wanted to get back before it got dark; that was another reason we turned around in Hanalei. We were very careful the second day (we rented a car for both days) to not go very far (we just went to Spouting Horn and did a little shopping) so traffic would not be a hold-up in getting back.

Also, be sure to allow time to put gas back in the rental car (assuming you choose that option when renting it). My GPS originally directed me to a "Chevron" station that was really a private gas club; I had to re-program it to find someplace else to fill up!

I think I read on another thread that the Thrifty offices are open until 10 PM. Shuttles may not run that late, but again, you can always take a cab. Here is the direct number for Thrifty at the airport in Kauai: (808) 245-7369

Archived