What to do in Dominica that does not require

bolt

a 3-4 hour bus/van ride. What would you be able to do closer to the port. I received and email from Levi that the tour would be 5 1/2 to 6 hours with 3 -4 hours on van. Really did not want to spend that much time on the van. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bolt

Levi's Roseau Valley tour was wonderful - I don't remember that we spent that much time in the van, but maybe we did. No single leg of the trip was over 45 minutes straight in the van. We drove to Titou Gorge and hiked up and swam the gorge, then went to Trafalgar Falls and hiked up beyond the lookout and went in the hot springs, then stopped briefly at the hot mud springs, then on to the Botanical gardens drive thru and up to the Morne Bruce overlook. Some folks left the tour at this point, but others of us road out to Champagne Reef to snorkel, but unfortunately the water was too choppy to do that. Our group was 10-12 people - everyone was enthusiastic about the tour - the group size was very manageable. Levi provided drinks and most everyone brought snacks. We kept moving - no interminable lunch breaks on this tour.

Dominica is wonderful - very different from the rest of the islands, but you have to ride in a van to see it. Other options would be to do the river tubing or to take the aerial tram into the rain forest.

I was in a bus for almost three hours non stop. I strongly recommend that you don't drink 4 cups of coffee before taking the tour...then once you find a restroom, you better have a $1 bill in order to pay for peeing.:(

I agree - you don't want to be in a bus nonstop for 3 hours. That's why you have to be picky about what you choose to do and pick a good tour like Levi's that has been well thought out and is a balance between riding in a van and activity. The whole point to Dominica is getting to extraordinary places where you can hike and get in the water. The extreme trip would be Middleham Falls. The other trips like Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls, and Emerald Pool are really manageable for most people. However, you do need good walking shoes and water sandals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another option is to go with Beno http://www.benonaturetours.com/

He took us to Emerald Pool, then to Screws Spa where we had a hot dip and fresh fruit for about an hour, then onto Mr. Nice Fruit Stand, and few pictures and back to shore. We were only about 3 hours and hardly no time driving. It was broken up with walking to the Emerald Pool and doing the Spa.

He charged us $45.00 per person. You will love this 1/2 day. Then there is time to enjoy the town and local food/beer before getting on the ship.

Regards,

Lynne

I agree - you don't want to be in a bus nonstop for 3 hours. That's why you have to be picky about what you choose to do and pick a good tour like Levi's that has been well thought out and is a balance between riding in a van and activity. The whole point to Dominica is getting to extraordinary places where you can hike and get in the water. The extreme trip would be Middleham Falls. The other trips like Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls, and Emerald Pool are really manageable for most people. However, you do need good walking shoes and water sandals.

We've booked with Levi's tour for December and can't wait, Dominica looks amazing! What would you recommend for "good walking shoes and water sandals" Does this mean bring a pair of each? I can't imagine you could go in the water with regular sneakers?

I took my water sandals (Teva's) and sneakers and used both. I wore my water sandals into the water at Titou Gorge. At Trafalgar Falls, I didn't change to my sandals and just wore my sneakers into the hot pool - no big deal. I felt much more secure with my sneakers on the trails. At the hot pool there were lots of people and slippery rocks and I felt more secure crawling into the pool with my sneakers.

Archived