Insurance - Confused, is it too late ?

busybusy23

Booked cruise less than 14 days ago so I can buy insurance. The problem is that I bought the flight from DFW to SJU about 6 weeks ago....

What does it mean for initial payment, last payment etc....

Both the cruise and the flight had to be paid in full at time of booking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! We are cruising the Victory on August 8.

Booked cruise less than 14 days ago so I can buy insurance. The problem is that I bought the flight from DFW to SJU about 6 weeks ago....

What does it mean for initial payment, last payment etc....

Both the cruise and the flight had to be paid in full at time of booking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! We are cruising the Victory on August 8.

There should be no problem insuring the cruise and the air -- you can do that with just about any third-party insurer up until the day prior to your departure.

The problem will be if you need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. Most plan require that the policy be purchased within a few days of making the first payment on the trip (ranges from about 14 to 30 days). You're past that so with most plans the pre-existing condition coverage will not be available to you.

One exception is CSA which will let you buy a plan and still get pre-existing condition coverage as long as you do it no later than 24 hours after making the final payment on the cruise. Since you've already made the final payment on the cruise that's not available to you either.

If you or a traveling companion have pre-existing conditions you'll just have to hope nothing happens. If you're worried about a pre-existing condition with a non-traveling family member take a look at the Travelex plan -- they don't apply the pre-existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members.

cruiseco - the OP says they booked the cruise portion less than 14 days ago (and probably paid in full?) so for the Cruise portion they should be able to get "waiver of pre-existing conditions" and such? - the complication is that they booked the airfare portion 6 weeks ago and how to handle that?? ken

You need to call someone who specializes in travel insurance.

You should be able to get "pre-existing" condition coverage for the $$ of your cruise because you are in your 14 day window. Whether you can get that coverage for your airfare will depend on the insurance carrier.

If you had one for the airfare, you could simply increase the coverage

to include the cost of the cruise. Since you don't, you really need to call someone.

This is one place where you will spend less time by picking up the phone than you will trying to find out on-line.

Access America is the carrier/brand of travel insurance sold by AAA. (I don't think you have to be member to use their travel services.)

Here is the 800 number they give for travel insurance product information.

For Product Information: 1-877-252-4255

Even if you don't choose to buy insurance from AAA, it will give you an idea of what you can or cannot get covered at this time.

We don't have any pre-existing conditions and we travel with our carry on so I am not worried about those. Simply worried if something major happens on one of the island and we need to be transported back. I appreciate all your help !

You need to call someone who specializes in travel insurance.

You should be able to get "pre-existing" condition coverage for the $$ of your cruise because you are in your 14 day window. Whether you can get that coverage for your airfare will depend on the insurance carrier.

If you had one for the airfare, you could simply increase the coverage

to include the cost of the cruise. Since you don't, you really need to call someone.

This is one place where you will spend less time by picking up the phone than you will trying to find out on-line.

Access America is the carrier/brand of travel insurance sold by AAA. (I don't think you have to be member to use their travel services.)

Here is the 800 number they give for travel insurance product information.

For Product Information: 1-877-252-4255

Even if you don't choose to buy insurance from AAA, it will give you an idea of what you can or cannot get covered at this time.

Calling them will only get you one carrier's opinion. Go to http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ and call Steve and he can let you know. He will steer you into the companies that can best help your situation.

Or as Ken said .......

Called Steve and he is awesome. He spent tremendous of time explaining the various insurance plans etc...

In case the question comes again, you basically have to look at the whole trip and even thought the cruise portion was purchased within the 14 days, not declaring the airline portion would be fraud as the insurance would ask how do I get there ? Not an easy way to get from Texas to Puerto Rico by car !

Thank You all for the great recommendation !

We don't have any pre-existing conditions and we travel with our carry on so I am not worried about those. Simply worried if something major happens on one of the island and we need to be transported back. I appreciate all your help !

Travel policys nearly always include medical evacuation, but it is capped.

Med evacs can easily sky rocket beyond the policy's limits.

MedJet Assist offers an annual package with unlimited coverage. It guarantees return to a location of your choice.

As a one time only, it may not be of interest, but if you occasionally travel internationally, it's well worth the premium.

The premium is reasonable enough that it can be a bargain even for the occasional traveler.

http://www.medjetassist.com/

Archived