Western Caribbean Snorkling

Mrs_Met

We will be sailing on Princess in August to the Western Carib, and just purchased our own snorkel gear. I would love to get a lot of use out of it. What are the best places to go in Princess Cays, Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel (this needs to be a quick one close to the ship as we already have an excursion booked).

Thanks!:D

Also, do we need fins or a life vest?

Yes, fins will make all the difference in your ability to swim with less effort, and please, please get a couple of snorkel vests and wear them.

I was on a snorkel excursion in Jamaica where a woman drowned. She had tied a life vest around her waist and it caused her to be unable to keep herself right side up.

It sucked that she drowned, it sucked pulling her out, and it sucked for everyone on the excursion.

So please get snorkel vests if you are going to go snorkeling… please.

We will be sailing on Princess in August to the Western Carib, and just purchased our own snorkel gear. I would love to get a lot of use out of it. What are the best places to go in Princess Cays, Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel (this needs to be a quick one close to the ship as we already have an excursion booked).

Absolutely on the fins. It makes everything so much easier. Life vests are up to you as only you know your capabilities. I personally don't use one as they slow me down and cuse it to be harder to swim. However, having said that, I used one this Spring on the Great Barrier reef as the swells and wind were horrible. It was a safety thing that made sense. Later in the day, when the wind and waves calmed down, I took it off. You are so much more bouyant in salt water that unless you are a poor swimmer, I would not use a vest. Obviously up to you though. Better safe than sorry. In the Caymans book a tour with Capt Marvin's and go see the Coral Gardens, the reef and then Stingray City.

Cheers, Kenn

Actually we are not new to snorkeling. This is just the first time we are bringing our own gear. I have seen lots of different posts about bringing/renting vests and fins and if you need them at all in certain places so that is why I asked.

Yes to the fins and probably to the vest.

We haven't done Jamaica or PC yet, but there are several good snorkel tours out of Ocho Rios. Google works swell.

In Grand Cayman both Capt Marvin or Nativeway offer some great tours. My personal pick would be Nativeway's Rays, Reef, and Rum Point Tour.

On Coz there are 2 spots that we have shore snorkeled on our own. Grab a cab and head for Chankanaab Park (charge an entry fee. $19 I believe), and Dzul Ha (the Money Bar). I have heard that Playa Uvas and Playa Corona also have decent shore snorkeling.

Archived