new cruiser, what do i bring??

cess150

... the whole situation in my eyes is just plain sad, what happened to the days when military personnel were heroic figures and looked up to??.... anwho enough on that i am just getting psyched about my cruise! 28 days and counting! =)

You're MY hero, Cess ... though I'm with Brian on this one: you're getting BACK on a ship for a vacation?!

As a former journalist, the last thing I wanted to do on vacation was read the paper!

The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation. -- George Washington

HAHA! yeah you guys are right it sounds crazy right..? well i figure that this will be much different and hopefully i will be able to relax a little. the main reason that i did it is because my girlfriend deserves it. we have had a rough four years and i wanted to do something nice for her. we have never really had time to travel anywhere togeather and this is much cheaper than flying to teh caribbean and staying an a hotel. she has never been on a big ship so it will be an new experience for her and a better experience for me.... atleast it wont be as crowded as the last ship i was on (6000 people) and a little more luxurious too... =)

To get back to the original question :

I used a list from cruisediva to help with what I should bring.

My hubby called this cruise : camping at sea !

My idea of camping is : bring everything but the kitchen sink !!!

The best idea ever... a shoe storage bag to hang over the door. It will hold all those little things one needs and can never find.( Especially the cabin-cardkey )

One thing I did not have : ROOM FRESHENER !!!

It's not always the ships fault , that there are odd smells !!!

We were in a balcony cabin,and used the sliding door to regulate the odors ..LOL..!!!

Another : if one goes to a any Roatan Beach ... bring, and use !!! , BUGSPRAY

You might not see them, but they bite you anyways ( sand fleas/flies )

No matter , we had a great time

Leonie

you know i was really thinking of proposing but i think it is going to have to be held off a little bit longer... i dont quite have enough $ saved up after paying for the cruise to get her the ring that i have been looking at. it wold be really amazing to be able to do it on the opera. i did get a second job though so we will see what happens... thanks for all the tips on the cruise everyone, they really do helpa first timer like myself. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your service Brian. Even those of us who are opposed to the misadventure of the Iraq War still respect your service to our country and wish you the best as a Civii.

Being in the Navy you are probably no longer subject to seasickness, but I would recommend Seabands for your partner. They can be a cheap but wonderful addition to your trip. They are elastic bands to fit around your wrists that have a small plactic button that are positioned two fingers above your pulse point. Even though we hit 40ft waves on a return voyage from England at the tail end of a hurricane we did not get sick after getting them. They are available at almost any drug store.

If going to the Caribbean listen to those who recommended a good, high SPF sun lotion. It is a much better vacation if you don't have to worry about trying not to touch your partners badly sunburned skin. The sun gets stronger the closer you get to the equator. A lot of very dark skinned Americans are suprised to find out that they are subject to burning in tropical climates.

Have a great vacation and continue cruising.

Brian if you are serious about proposing, wait until St. Thomas if you are going there to getting a ring. We bought jewelry on Aruba on our last cruise and then were informed by the jewelry expert on the Dawn that the best place to buy jewelry is on St. Thomas. But whenever and where ever you buy it, she will consider it the most beauriful present she ever received, since it is actually you that is being offered for the rest of her life. Just make sure it is what you really want to offer. Ha! Ha!

To first time cruiser - bring a 20-pocket or so shoe holder that hooks over the bathroom door for all your bathroom needs such as shampoo, brush, deodorant, hair curler, sunblock, hair spray, gel, etc. Have a great cruise.

What a great idea! I just returned from the 2/15 Lirica cruise and I took two shoe holders, one for the bathroom door and one for the closet door. The one for the closet eliminated that nasty mound of shoes on the closet floor. I filled every pocket of the one in the bathroom.

Archived