Time Zone Question

I'm confused! Am I right that the ship stays in whatever time zone it started from and the ports have there time? So when an excursio is at 9:00, is it ship time or island time? We leave from Florida.

Excursion is usually shore time. The boat will ask you to change your watches when crossing time zones. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

Zenith 5/04

Pride 11/02

Fantasy 10/01

I have had the opposite. Everything stays on ship time. It might be cruiseline specific.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Mariner of the Seas

Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Explorer of the Seas 11/02

Royal Majesty 12/95

Costa Riviera 8/89 & 12/89

<marquee direction="right" scrolldelay="0">

boat001.gif

GET OUT THERE!

We have done the Western Caribbean from both Florida and Texas. The ship's time is set at whatever the local time is at the port you're leaving from and excursions are based on ship's time. The only time this has been different was on our Panama Canal transit. We started on Eastern time (left from Miami) and changed ship's time as we passed through the time zones (ended up in California). Excursions were always based on ship's time.

I don't know if it is always that way, but has been on our 8 cruises.

This is the one thing that really drove me crazy on our cruise.

The Ship stayed on the time in Miami and the excursions were on island time.

Called purser and asked what time it was on Grand Cayman, was told it was the same as ship. WRONG, hurried to our excursion and sat and waited for an hour because we were early. Got back and had no time to shop because we had to get back to the ship.

Plus there are some places that observe daylight savings time and some don't.

I swear next time I will carry five watches, one set to Miami time and one for each port we visit.

Do your research before you go to get a firm fix of this issue.

5/1/04 - Navigator of the Sea

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Grand Cayman is Central Standard Time (same as Galveston). Not sure about Cozumel.

A

'95 Carnival Sensation

4/28/97 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas

7/01 Celebrity Horizon

6/02 Norwegian Sea

6/22/03 Disney Wonder

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;20;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600

... till 6/20/04 Rhapsody of the Seas

<MARQUEE>Cruising is the only way to go... who stands opposed?</MARQUEE>

Cozumel is on Central Time. the time zone issue is cruiseline specific. Eastern, Western, and Southern Cruises generally stay on the time of the embarkation port. However, this is specific to RCI. I know Princess goes to local port time. I would have to assume that even RCI changes time when going to Hawaii from the west coast though.

ag00612_.gif

Gary

Explorer of the Seas 10/24/04

Dawn Princess 10/12/03

Voyager of the Seas 12/01/02

Adventurer of the Seas 4/21/02

Sea Breeze 06/98

Atlantis 06/70

Time to Set Sail

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;10;24;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

I found a cool website that might help you. It allows you to calculate time with something called their future event planner. This is great when you are trying to figure out 'port time' on the particular day you are going to be there. Just type in the port you left from (ship time) and choose the port you are going to and the date you will be there and it will tell you what time it will be at that port on that day. Hope this makes sense icon_rolleyes.gif The website is www.worldtimeserver.com Give it a try icon_biggrin.gif

We have encountered both systems of handling time zones. I have seen it suggested by others that it is specific to both the cruise line and possibly the ship.

The best bet is to ask on the specific cruise line board, about the specific ship, close to the time that the ship sails.

If you are booking an excursion through the ship there should be no problem at all. If booking on your own, confirm your plans with the independant excursion operator. The independant operator has a vested interest in your going with them and having a good time.

Just got back from Rhapsody to Grand cayman and Cozumel. Cozumel in CST and observes Daylight Savings ( all same as Galveston). Not really sure what zone Grand Cayman is in, but was same time as Galveston and Cozumel.

Bill D

RCCL Song of Norway 7/79?

CCL ? 12/84

RCCL Viking Serenade 7/01

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/01

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 5/02

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 7/02

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/02

Princess Grand Princess 6/03

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 12/03

RCCL Vision of the Seas 3/04

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 5/30/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;20;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Empress of the Seas 12/20/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;3;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600  Celebrity Galaxy Panama Canal 3/21/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;6;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800  Vision of the Seas Alaska 6/10/2005

• 2 weeks later...

MeowMom,

I absolutely LOVE your name!! Hooray for us cat moms, eh?

(26 prior cruises & 2 flights on Concorde)

It has been said that angels, while on Earth,

aren't allowed to show their wings,

but nothing was ever said

about not showing their whiskers. <^..^>

Archived