Cave tubing with kids 7 & 9

bbrme

We are thinking about doing a cave tubing tour in Belize this Dec and was hoping that someone would have some tips on the best tour guides to use with children. Has anyone tried this? Do the kids have fun? How do they deal with timid children?

DH and DS9 really want to do this but DD7 is not quite sure. She is pretty timid and tends to whine a lot when she is out of her comfort zone. I'm also considering letting the boys go cave tubing and the 2 of us go somewhere else - any suggestions?

We went to Lamani last year and DD liked that although she thought the bus ride was LONG.

thanks for your help

Beth

Just went with cavetubing.com with my 2 girls last Friday. They are 12 & 10. My 10 year old is really small. The girls loved it and if anything just a lazy day floating down a river with a guide. The guides work very hard pulling you through the river. The river was up a bit from remnants from Hurricane Alex but it was very calm.

Definitely go with cavetubing.com. They have a great bus, terrific guides and serve a very nice lunch. Have fun!

I think a lot depends on what season it is as to how rough the water is. I've read reviews before about the rivers running so fast and high that people get knocked out of their tubes going into the caves...seems pretty scary to me. Also depends on how physically active your kids are...I've also read that the hike to the river is 30-45 minutes long (I know my kids wouldn't hack that, and even if they did, they sure as heck wouldn't think it was fun).

Since you mention that your youngest has a tendency to be a bit of a complainer, if I were you, I'd probably go with "Plan B" and find something else for the two of you to do.

We are thinking about doing a cave tubing tour in Belize this Dec and was hoping that someone would have some tips on the best tour guides to use with children. Has anyone tried this? Do the kids have fun? How do they deal with timid children?

We just returned from a WONDERFUL cave tubing adventure. We booked through Coral Breezes and had AWESOME guides Ivar and Star. They were so informative on the plants, trees, and the caves. We had two young boys in our group and they had a blast. This was a wonderful experience for all of my family. The group included only 12 people and the guides really made sure we enjoyed the time. The food was delicious red beans and rice with extremely tender grilled chicken. LOVED it! I would recommend this team to anyone old or young! Skeeter - SC:D

One more thing is that the guides carry the tubes to the river for the kids. The walk I'd easy and interesting too. The guides told us that if the river is too high, they don't go. Last week cavetubing.com didn't go until Friday when the river went down. I was nervous to take my girls but it really was a great experience for my girls.

You can read more about our exparience in my post in the "Major Tom and Minor Tom" thread. They are at cavetubing.net btw.

Long story short; we were there last Wednesday (two days after Tropical Storm Alex was there) and took our six year old and she loved it and there was no danger or problems at all. Now I should probably let you know that we are boaters and my daughter was raised around water and she has been doing local float trips since she was 3.

Mogley (our guide from M.T. M.T) was phenominal with her and actually hooked himself to her tube just incase, though.

I cannot recommend that company enough!

Hope this helps and have a blast!

We have 2 children 8 and 10 and we just went cave tubing through extreme tubing.

The guides were excellent and we felt safe the entire time. As previously stated the guides carry the kids tubes (and even my wife's)

Families interlock their legs, so you are close to your kids.

WARNING

We were very close to missing our boat. We got back at 415 and the last tender was at 4. We rode back with the carnival employees

I would book through Carnival the next time I go.

I also booked with cavetubing.com. The tour was great you can make your reservation online. Once you arrive on the pier they are very easy to find.

The only note I will add is that if your cruising with RCL, you will not be able to tender (exit the ship), until all passengers that booked excursions through NCL exits. This put me very close to my departure time with Cavetubing.com :eek:

Thanks for all the info. I think we are going to do this. DD is ok with hiking and she has been inside caves before so I think it will work out ok especially if she can ride on her dad's tube.

Went in '09 with Major Toms Crew with 2 9yr old Boy, Girl twins. and an 11 year old. All the other tour guides rushed past our group as we were given a great tour of the Rain Forest. Chewed on sugar cane, ate termites (Minty Fresh:eek:)and had some leaves from a tree that made your mouth numb:p.(Novacaine made from tree) The kids are still talking about it. It has been the best tour we have been on. The tubeing was the same way as we would let other groups go buy so we would not miss anything. ( Bats, waterfall, Ect)We also were back to the ship in pleanty of time. I hope this helps.:):D

Archived