Anyone Been on Cruise West Recently?

Wannaknow

We were on the Spirit of Oceanus in 2008. After the 3rd day at the evening get together, the staff kindly requested that passengers refrain from jogging until 9 am because it was annoying the passengers in the cabins below. That said we loved the CW experience!

Does anyone have more info about the loan CW requested?

Just a heads up that in the next two weeks or so we'll be launching a brand new review of Spirit of '98

BTW- Thanks for the ( http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review_page2.cfm?ShipID=115 )first review. The details captured there were quite helpful.

As someone whose never been on CruiseWest, I'm thinking of the differences as:

(as it relates to Alaska...)

CW takes a phenomenal idea (small ships getting up close) and executes it decently well (definite places for improvement, but the basics seem to be there); the big lines take a decent idea (large ships hitting the basic highlights) and execute it phenomenally well (you rarely want for much of anything while onboard).

To get the phenomenal ideas executed phenomenally well, you have to go on the super-expensive/luxury cruise lines.

To those who know: Does that seem like an accurate summary?

My current resulting take: CW might very well be interesting for me to try this year (on a shorter 4 day cruise- we walk before we run, after all)... but I'm not booking anything on them until they get their financials/loan-situation figured out (and then that might be too late for this year, we'll see...)

BTW- Thanks for the ( http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review_page2.cfm?ShipID=115 )first review. The details captured there were quite helpful.

As someone whose never been on CruiseWest, I'm thinking of the differences as:

(as it relates to Alaska...)

CW takes a phenomenal idea (small ships getting up close) and executes it decently well (definite places for improvement, but the basics seem to be there); the big lines take a decent idea (large ships hitting the basic highlights) and execute it phenomenally well (you rarely want for much of anything while onboard).

To get the phenomenal ideas executed phenomenally well, you have to go on the super-expensive/luxury cruise lines.

To those who know: Does that seem like an accurate summary?

My current resulting take: CW might very well be interesting for me to try this year (on a shorter 4 day cruise- we walk before we run, after all)... but I'm not booking anything on them until they get their financials/loan-situation figured out (and then that might be too late for this year, we'll see...)

Yep Outerspace Guy I think you have got it summarized well and a 4 day should give you a good feel without breaking the pocket book. If you are concerned about CW financial situation but still want to go this year don't you think you would be safe by insuring through a company not connected to CW? ie. Travel Guard? I never use the company's insurance package, they are totally overpriced and usually have fine print in it to keep the policy in the best interest of the cruise company. Good luck!

About insurance - please refer to my post #22. Don't know whether all insurance companies are the same as the one I used.

I completely agree.

I'm not comfortable right now booking anything on them (even with outside insurance) until I know that they'll be around.

We'll see how things go... nothing's booked yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! My husband and I have traveled with CW many times - twice to Alaska, did Columbia River, British Columbia, Costa Rica/Panama and this Jan did Sea of Cortez. Obviously have enjoyed these trips immensely especially the emphasis on natural history and history of the areas. We are concerned about the companies expansion into world cruises and now European rivers. Hope they are not overextending themselves. We heard some complaints on our last trip from repeat cruisers.

• 2 weeks later...

I would treat very carefully with this company at this point. I would be surprised to find any company that would actually insure you against bankruptcy at this point in time. My understanding is that they are not even allowed to take cash payments because of their financially instability.

Archived