ES options?

lcmc

What are my options in this case? We are booked ES and made final payment. We have a person that can't go now. Can someone else be put in that spot for a fee or do we cancel that person or just have them as a no show? What is the best way to handle things?

What are my options in this case? We are booked ES and made final payment. We have a person that can't go now. Can someone else be put in that spot for a fee or do we cancel that person or just have them as a no show? What is the best way to handle things?

I learned the hard way & it cost me money to change the name. You have to go through CCL to do so. There are no refunds on ES.

dk

This is from Carnival's "Early Saver FAQ" site:

"What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?

Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties."

Those standard penalties vary with length of cruise and destination, but you can find what applies to you here. Scroll down to item 6.

no name changes are allowed.

Need more info to advise further. Is the person who can"t go in a cabin with just one other person or is it a triple or quad?

Bill

This is from Carnival's "Early Saver FAQ" site:

"What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?

Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties."

Those standard penalties vary with length of cruise and destination, but you can find what applies to you here. Scroll down to item 6.

So from the way I understand since I am a little over 30 days out I can cancel with a 50% penalty. So in other words I should be able to put someone else in that room and 50% of what I already paid could be applied to that persons fare. Correct?

no name changes are allowed.

Need more info to advise further. Is the person who can"t go in a cabin with just one other person or is it a triple or quad?

Bill

That person is in a triple.

So from the way I understand since I am a little over 30 days out I can cancel with a 50% penalty. So in other words I should be able to put someone else in that room and 50% of what I already paid could be applied to that persons fare. Correct?

No you can't do that. No name changes, no refund on the deposit, it beomes a future cruise credit for the person that booked the cruise. Does the person have insurance? If they cancel you can put someone else in the cabin but you will have to pay whatever the cost is now.

That person is in a triple.

OK here is the tricky part. Did the 3 pax in that cabin split the fare equally or did the this person cancelling. Just pay the 3rd person rate.

If they all split it then the person cancelling would cause the first 2 pax to have to pay more money.

If they are just a no show they'd lose everything but would cause to harm to the remaining 2 in the cabin.

If they do indeed cancel they'd be charged a $50 administrative fee and lose 50% with the remaining balance held for up to 2 years to apply towards a future cruise.

Bill

OK here is the tricky part. Did the 3 pax in that cabin split the fare equally or did the this person cancelling. Just pay the 3rd person rate.

If they all split it then the person cancelling would cause the first 2 pax to have to pay more money.

If they are just a no show they'd lose everything but would cause to harm to the remaining 2 in the cabin.

If they do indeed cancel they'd be charged a $50 administrative fee and lose 50% with the remaining balance held for up to 2 years to apply towards a future cruise.

Bill

I paid all the fares in the cabin so doesn't matter what share they all paid. Since I paid can that balance toward future cruise be applied to me? Just need to know the best way to handle things. Is it better to cancel or just have a no show. We may have someone else that wants to go. Do I plug them in the persons spot or just add them to the room and switch to a quad and have a no show.

I paid all the fares in the cabin so doesn't matter what share they all paid. Since I paid can that balance toward future cruise be applied to me? Just need to know the best way to handle things. Is it better to cancel or just have a no show. We may have someone else that wants to go. Do I plug them in the persons spot or just add them to the room and switch to a quad and have a no show.

No you cannot plug someone else in. If you paid the fares and don't have to worry about getting more money from the other 2 I'd just let it go and let them be a no show.

MOST times even though you are the one who paid the fare, the future credit is still in the persons name who is actually booked and cancelled.

I have read where people have called and gotten it changed to them but there haven't been a lot of those post.

Bill

No you cannot plug someone else in. If you paid the fares and don't have to worry about getting more money from the other 2 I'd just let it go and let them be a no show.

MOST times even though you are the one who paid the fare, the future credit is still in the persons name who is actually booked and cancelled.

I have read where people have called and gotten it changed to them but there haven't been a lot of those post.

Bill

So if someone else does want to go the best thing to do is just add them to the booking and switch the room to a quad and let the other person be a no show.

So if someone else does want to go the best thing to do is just add them to the booking and switch the room to a quad and let the other person be a no show.

That sounds like a viable option, but Carnival may charge you going rates for the quad, rather than what you paid. That may be ok, maybe not. Plus sometimes they may consider that switch a cancelation of the 3 people in the cabin. I would call Carnival and see about adding someone and switching to a quad and find out if it's possible w/o additional fees.

Good luck. I hope you succeed. Please let us know what happens.

Bill

I can't find anything on Carnival's site explaining that they hold the unrefunded amount as credit for a future cruise. I was under the impression that, besides the unrefundable deposit and other restrictions of ES rates, standard cancellation policies applied and that the OP would be due 50% refund. Does it say anywhere on the site that the entire fare is non-refundable?

I can't find anything on Carnival's site explaining that they hold the unrefunded amount as credit for a future cruise. I was under the impression that, besides the unrefundable deposit and other restrictions of ES rates, standard cancellation policies applied and that the OP would be due 50% refund. Does it say anywhere on the site that the entire fare is non-refundable?

You are correct. They would just be charged $50 administrative and the balance of the deposit is held for 2 years, not the whole fare.

Normal cancellation rates apply to the booking which at this point is 50%.

Bill

You are correct. They would just be charged $50 administrative and the balance of the deposit is held for 2 years, not the whole fare.

Normal cancellation rates apply to the booking which at this point is 50%.

Bill

I'm confused. If you're in the penalty period, and you cancel, your deposit is gone, regardless of what rate you booked. At this point, if the person who is cancelling paid $700 total, they should get $350 back, and no credit for a future cruise. It's funny. I thought I had the ES thing figured out, but then I read something like this. I just wish this was spelled out on Carnivals site. If it is, I can't find it.

I'm confused. If you're in the penalty period, and you cancel, your deposit is gone, regardless of what rate you booked. At this point, if the person who is cancelling paid $700 total, they should get $350 back, and no credit for a future cruise. It's funny. I thought I had the ES thing figured out, but then I read something like this. I just wish this was spelled out on Carnivals site. If it is, I can't find it.

you probably do have it down pat. I should just leave these threads to Fire and Ken.

So you taught me something more ES , and to especially keep my mouth shut.:o

Bill

That sounds like a viable option, but Carnival may charge you going rates for the quad, rather than what you paid. That may be ok, maybe not. Plus sometimes they may consider that switch a cancelation of the 3 people in the cabin. I would call Carnival and see about adding someone and switching to a quad and find out if it's possible w/o additional fees.

Good luck. I hope you succeed. Please let us know what happens.

I already know you can still add a person to a room and just pay the current rate for that person. We just changed a triple to a quad last week on another room and the just charged us the current 4th person rate.

Here is another wrinkle. The person who I would be canceling is a minor. I paid the fare. If the 50% refund is in the form of future cruise credit can that be credited to a minor. I would think it would have to go back to the person that paid the fare in that case.

No you can't do that. No name changes, no refund on the deposit, it beomes a future cruise credit for the person that booked the cruise. Does the person have insurance? If they cancel you can put someone else in the cabin but you will have to pay whatever the cost is now.

The $50 pp penalty and the future Cruise Credit only apply up to final Payment. After that, the standard Penalties listed in the Cruise Contract apply. OP is correct, other than Carnival will probably treat the 50% refund separately from the Fare the added person will pay. (ie., the 50% refund probably won't be applied to the added passenger). ken

The $50 pp penalty and the future Cruise Credit only apply up to final Payment. After that, the standard Penalties listed in the Cruise Contract apply. OP is correct, other than Carnival will probably treat the 50% refund separately from the Fare the added person will pay. (ie., the 50% refund probably won't be applied to the added passenger). ken

Yep that's the part I screwed up on. I'll leave these threads to the experts.

Bill

Archived