Epic Planning. Never sailed NCL. Questions..

PCalabrese

Good morning/afternoon everyone!

DW and I are in the initial planning stages of an "Epic" cruise March 2011. Having never sailed NCL before but having sailed Carnival and RCI several times (Princess once), We are very excited about this new adventure. We recently disembarked the new Carnival Dream (mid-June) so we got a "new" ship under our belts.

Our primary question is one regarding the "free upgrades" you see all over the NCL site as you are booking a room. To be as specific as possible, we are planning on booking a balcony room. Not a suite or anything super-fantastic as that is out of the current budget. There appears to be all sort of category of rooms but most appear to be the same although some say 216 sf and some say 186 sf. Interestingly, some of these "upgrades" don't seem to be an upgrade at all. Can someone explain how "upgrades" work on NCL specifically with this class of stateroom? Deluxe Balcony? Regular Balcony? Family Balcony? etc..

My next question would be; Once booked, is it possible to plan out the entire week prior to boarding the ship? Meaning, is it possible for me to make the specialty restaurant/show reservations prior to embarkation? We prefer to do that type of thing during the planning stage so our week is all laid out in front of us when we board. We would plan the Cirque show (which includes dinner) plus 2 specialty restaurants plus the Legends show which I understand includes dinner and is of no charge. Essentially plan each evening in advance to avoid waiting in extra lines. That would be helpful info as well.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice you guys may have! We're certainly excited about this trip. We had narrowed our choices down between Celebrity Eclipse and EPIC and are very much leaning the EPIC way at this stage!

Our primary question is one regarding the "free upgrades" you see all over the NCL site as you are booking a room. To be as specific as possible, we are planning on booking a balcony room. Not a suite or anything super-fantastic as that is out of the current budget. There appears to be all sort of category of rooms but most appear to be the same although some say 216 sf and some say 186 sf. Interestingly, some of these "upgrades" don't seem to be an upgrade at all. Can someone explain how "upgrades" work on NCL specifically with this class of stateroom? Deluxe Balcony? Regular Balcony? Family Balcony? etc.. Any time we have gotten an "upgrade" it is within the same category, ie: lower balcony deck to higher balcony deck. Or a window cabin maybe upgraded to a balcony. I have never had a balconey go up to a real suite. (Not mini-suite) The Epic is different since there are no window cabins, either balcony, studio, or some type of suite. Now, as time goes on they may offer price of reg. balcony and you get a deluxe or family. But I don't think they will offer a true suite. But, who knows.

My next question would be; Once booked, is it possible to plan out the entire week prior to boarding the ship? 90 days for excursion, 45 for meals/shows as of now July 2010. Meaning, is it possible for me to make the specialty restaurant/show reservations prior to embarkation? yes We prefer to do that type of thing during the planning stage so our week is all laid out in front of us when we board. We would plan the Cirque show yes you (which includes dinner) plus 2 specialty restaurants yes plus the Legends show which I understand includes dinner no dinner on legends that I am aware of someone may correct me though and is of no charge. Essentially plan each evening in advance to avoid waiting in extra lines. That would be helpful info as well.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice you guys may have! We're certainly excited about this trip. We had narrowed our choices down between Celebrity Eclipse and EPIC and are very much leaning the EPIC way at this stage!

Hope that helps some, if I am wrong, there will be someone to correct me.

Have a great time and go with the flow! :D

Thanks for the response! I'm continuing my research and it does appear to me that an "upgrade" within a particular category merely seems to mean a higher deck. The stateroom and balcony are of the exact same size. It seems you pay a few $$ more for a "Deluxe Balcony" which looks to add just a few more feet to the stateroom itself but the balcony size appears to remain the same. They have so many different categories and really, no explanation on the website as to what they all mean.

I have not considered looking at the "ocean view" cabins to see if they upgrade to balconies. I'll try that now.

Thanks for the response! I'm continuing my research and it does appear to me that an "upgrade" within a particular category merely seems to mean a higher deck. The stateroom and balcony are of the exact same size. It seems you pay a few $$ more for a "Deluxe Balcony" which looks to add just a few more feet to the stateroom itself but the balcony size appears to remain the same. They have so many different categories and really, no explanation on the website as to what they all mean.

I have not considered looking at the "ocean view" cabins to see if they upgrade to balconies. I'll try that now.

There are no "Oceanview" cabins on the Epic. There are only suite category (including spa suite), balcony (regular, deluxe, deluxe family, spa), and insides (including the solo Studios).

As for dinner with Legends, they sometimes also sing in the Manhattan room (one of the MDR's) at dinnertime, along with other entertainers. Then there is the actual Legends concert for which you need tickets (can make reservations 45 days out). Hope this helps clarify.

Our primary question is one regarding the "free upgrades" you see all over the NCL site as you are booking a room. To be as specific as possible, we are planning on booking a balcony room. Not a suite or anything super-fantastic as that is out of the current budget. There appears to be all sort of category of rooms but most appear to be the same although some say 216 sf and some say 186 sf. Interestingly, some of these "upgrades" don't seem to be an upgrade at all. Can someone explain how "upgrades" work on NCL specifically with this class of stateroom? Deluxe Balcony? Regular Balcony? Family Balcony? etc..

My next question would be; Once booked, is it possible to plan out the entire week prior to boarding the ship? Meaning, is it possible for me to make the specialty restaurant/show reservations prior to embarkation? We prefer to do that type of thing during the planning stage so our week is all laid out in front of us when we board. We would plan the Cirque show (which includes dinner) plus 2 specialty restaurants plus the Legends show which I understand includes dinner and is of no charge. Essentially plan each evening in advance to avoid waiting in extra lines. That would be helpful info as well.

Regarding upgrades.

You should not rely on any upgrade procedures in this case. This is an extremely "innovative" ship, so old-fashioned logic and understanding of what is good and what is not do not work here.

If you want a decent balcony cabin (in fact, balcony cabins on Epic are balcony studios): study deck plans carefully with a magnified glass well in advance, find Epic exterior photos, put everything together. Pay attention to roofless balconies (-), larger irregular shape balconies(+), lifeboats location (-), proximity to night clubs, children areas and service areas (-), etc.

Decide if you prefer the bed closer to the balcony or closer to the toilet. Other than that all cabins are essentially the same with a minimal difference in size (little longer or shorter).

Know exactly (cabin numbers!) what cabin you want and tell that to your TA. If a desired cabin is available on a different date - yes, you change the date.

That will be the best "upgrade" you can get on Epic.

Interestingly, some of these "upgrades" don't seem to be an upgrade at all

You've got it right.

Meaning, is it possible for me to make the specialty restaurant/show reservations prior to embarkation?

It's mandatory and has to be done as early as possible. Otherwise you'll simply miss what you plan to visit.

Essentially plan each evening in advance to avoid waiting in extra lines.

Even if you book shows in advance, you'll have to stand in the line for ~1 hour prior to the show if you want to get your seats.

:)

I was under the impression that you could book specialty dining 90 days in advance and entertainment 45 days in advance. Has this changed now to 45 days for both?

Dining can be booked online 90 days out. We are on 2 Oct 10 and reserved dining yesterday July 4.

As far as I know, entertainment can be booked 45 days out.

You are right about the "upgrade". NCL often offers an "N" price for a "K" cabin. The only difference is the deck that the cabin is on. Some people like to be higher on the ship and some don't. It's all personal choice.

I am pretty sure that the Deluxe Balcony cabins have a tub rather than just a shower.

As for booking in advance, my cruise is isn't until December and I can already book shore excursions.

NCL is running a special, it started today, go to their web page and check it out. They are offering 50% reduced deposit, OBC, and Hello Balcony.

Here is Teaser.

Free upgrades don't last forever. The memories, however, are a different story. Get a Balcony stateroom for the price of an Oceanview, or an Oceanview for the price of an Inside. Now you can cruise from destination to destination with an extraordinary view.

Happy shopping! :)

Even if you book shows in advance, you'll have to stand in the line for ~1 hour prior to the show if you want to get your seats.

:)

Hope this is not completely accurate (as I would never stand in line an hour for anything on my cruise vacation). Shouldn't booking in advance remove worries of not getting a seat at your chosen show? Securing the best seat in the house isn't worth an hour of inconvenience to me. I don't care where my seat is located; just as long as I'm in. :)

Archived