Why are the rolls so bad?

I was so suprised to read that someone didn't love the sourdough rolls! My whole family LOVES them. I try to limit myself to one per meal and it is a real challenge.

I agree......those crusty little rolls are excellent. I have one at breakfast with orange marmalade.....one at lunch with a salad.....and at least one with dinner.

Yes I agree with the bread being better in Europe, which is probably why I dont like RC bread, our supermarket bread is far better than cruise bread.

There are some delicious flatbreads and cheese breads made right here at a bakery in my smallish city right here in the USA.

I don't like those hard as brick breads and rolls found in a lot of places. And sourdough? Ugh, how aptly named - lol.

This is true. In general, breads in Europe are SOOO much better. You can find good breads in the US, but the mass produced soft white breads and rolls are next to worthless.

:D

Now I have to disagree if you are including the UK in this opinion (and I'm an ex-Brit!). The soft doughy white stuff they eat over there is blechhhhh awful. And I like the rolls on my RCI cruises, especially the savoury bites. Yum.:)

:rolleyes: JMO, not all bread and rolls are the same.

I personally like all of the bread and rolls because of the different textures. I find the texture of the crust to be most intriguing.

Different bakers and different cultures have varying textures and types of bread and rolls. I find that each is unique and very tasty. I would be very disappointed if the selections changed drastiacally. I like them all!!!!!!!!:D

I love the soft, hot and fresh slightly-golden-but-not-too-brown rolls we sometimes get at a local O'Charley's restaurant. When we cruised on the Celebrity Constellation, those cold, rather hard bread products brought around were quite a surprise to me; I'm looking at my wife and our friend later and asking 'What is this? So much great stuff on this cruise, and they gave us cold, hard bread?'

Interesting to see that some people like that stuff. I'd wondered how the regions of the world compared on it.

Richard.

After having cruised on NCL, Carnival and RCCL, I've decided that the bread on RCCL is SO much more delicious, diverse and freshly made. In fact, the bread is the main reason that I have now chosen RCCL over other lines for my last two cruises! All the bread is excellent, and those crunchy crusted dinner rolls are amazing. Can anyone with experience on lines I haven't sailed on -- Celebrity, Princess etc., comment on how the bread compares???

Now I have to disagree if you are including the UK in this opinion (and I'm an ex-Brit!). The soft doughy white stuff they eat over there is blechhhhh awful. And I like the rolls on my RCI cruises, especially the savoury bites. Yum.:)

lol, maybe you havent been here for a while, there is so much variety of breads, the crusty loafs are great but not like bricks and the seeded batch's are fab,flatbreads, cheesebreads herb bread, they have sliced soft doughy stuff too and I agree not great but there is so much choice it takes me forever to walk around the bread isles.

It's not a midwest thing...We have always wondered, since they have a variety, why the rolls that you could bust a windshield with :eek:???? We have still managed to find bread we like, and I guess we are in the VAST minority. Years and years ago, on my first visit to San Francisco, I couldn't wait to sample the sourdough bread. Imagine my disappointment ...so it was no shocker to me that the sourdough bread could be used as a lethal weapon and I just automatically made a different choice after that. Everyone else was thrilled with the bread. It's not enough of a complaint to keep me from scarffing down several pieces of bread each night, however:p.

lol, maybe you havent been here for a while, there is so much variety of breads, the crusty loafs are great but not like bricks and the seeded batch's are fab,flatbreads, cheesebreads herb bread, they have sliced soft doughy stuff too and I agree not great but there is so much choice it takes me forever to walk around the bread isles.

I think the fact that someone hasn't been there for a while shows up in a lot of comments about another countries cuisine.The fresh baked bread available here and the choices in the bread ailse can meet almost any need.I remember once someone said the American restuarants serve coffee thats been sitting around for several hours.While the paint removal stuff was not unusual 25 years ago today most places at least those who want to stay in business keep their coffee fresh even gas stations that profit on good coffee and sandwiches made with good bread

:cj

Seriously, this is one of the only things i don't like about dinner. The rolls are terrible. Hard and crunchy, and they flake all over the place. Some simple Pillsbury rolls are better than the one RCI has. Does anyone know why they are so bad? lol.

Bread is good. I like the different types of bread. Not all bread is soft. I love sourdough rolls that are chewy.

I think the fact that someone hasn't been there for a while shows up in a lot of comments about another countries cuisine.The fresh baked bread available here and the choices in the bread ailse can meet almost any need.I remember once someone said the American restuarants serve coffee thats been sitting around for several hours.While the paint removal stuff was not unusual 25 years ago today most places at least those who want to stay in business keep their coffee fresh even gas stations that profit on good coffee and sandwiches made with good bread

:cj

I wish they would send the good bread to the cruisline then.:);)

Archived