Conquest Questions

Soonerbaby

We are into the double digits now and are very excited! This is our first cruise and from what I've read, the Conquest is a great ship! I do have a couple of questions for those who have cruised the Conquest:

• Has anyone with US Cellular used thier phone on the ship? US Cellular tells me that if we can send and recieve data (text msgs, etc), the charges will be whatever our plan is (so free), but they don't guarantee that we can send and recieve on the ship.
  • The Conquest is one of the largest in the fleet, is that correct? So, does that mean that because it's bigger, there will be less movement?

TIA

We are into the double digits now and are very excited! This is our first cruise and from what I've read, the Conquest is a great ship! I do have a couple of questions for those who have cruised the Conquest:

• Has anyone with US Cellular used thier phone on the ship? US Cellular tells me that if we can send and recieve data (text msgs, etc), the charges will be whatever our plan is (so free), but they don't guarantee that we can send and recieve on the ship. Not true, at sea the charges will knock your socks off.
  • The Conquest is one of the largest in the fleet, is that correct? So, does that mean that because it's bigger, there will be less movement? Biggest almost, movement depends on sea conditions. Higher up you are the more you will feel the movement. If you stay low and in the middle, less movement is felt.

TIA

Carnival will not let you have anything for free on a cell phone at sea.:mad:

The cellular service is satellite based and provided by Cellular at Sea: http://www.cellularatsea.com/

Access time is billed to your phone from Cellular at Sea to your normal bill at the rate of $2.49/minute; $.50 for an outbound text message and $.05 for an inbound text message, or that's was it was just recently.

You may want to contact Cellular at Sea regarding your carrier as US Cellular isn't listed on their web page.

Yes, the Conquest class are some of the largest ships in the fleet but don't tell the sea that. Given large enough waves any ship can get active. I've sailed the Conquest many times and never had an uncomfortable ride in seas up to 18 feet or so...

:)

The one time I've been on the Conquest it was really, really smooth up until the last day at sea. We kept saying how it must be b/c it was so big. Well, the last day at sea we were being affected by a storm and we had quite a bit of movement...so much they put the bags out by the elevator. But it didn't bother most people we talked to...that's just for precautions. We like the movement of the ship, especially when we sleep. It's like being rocked to sleep. :)

I'm just guessing but the cell service provided on the ship is probably GSM only as that is the world standard. US Cellular uses CDMA so It likely will not even see any signal while on the ship. I could be wrong and they may have both, but likely not.

I'm just guessing but the cell service provided on the ship is probably GSM only as that is the world standard. US Cellular uses CDMA so It likely will not even see any signal while on the ship. I could be wrong and they may have both, but likely not.

Not really so...

This is from their site:

WMS supports GSM, GPRS & CDMA technologies. In other words, we provide technology capable of serving all major wireless telecommunications companies worldwide.

http://www.cellularatsea.com/technology.htm

Not really so...

This is from their site:

WMS supports GSM, GPRS & CDMA technologies. In other words, we provide technology capable of serving all major wireless telecommunications companies worldwide.

http://www.cellularatsea.com/technology.htm

Thats good to know. Alot of people in this area have us cellular (not me) but they usually can't travel with their phones

There are people who disagree on this, but I know for a fact that the type of movement on the smaller Fantasy class ships makes me seasick every time. And it doesn't take extremely high seas to do it. The smaller ships have a different type of movement from the bigger ones. I have been VERY seasick all 3 times I've been on an Fantasy class ship, despite using recommended remedies and prevention for motion sickness. I have been on Conquest class ships 8 times and have NEVER gotten seasick, even in 15' to 18' seas. Based on my experience, there is definitely a difference!

Even on the Conquest, if you are in high seas, you will feel movement. I've been on the Conquest when it looked like everyone was drunk.....staggering in unison to one side of the hall, and then back to the other side of the hall. It's funny when that happens! LOL! But that is not the norm, and if you're lucky, you will have smooth seas and never realize you're moving. I advise you to start taking one Bonine tablet at night the night before you cruise, and continue through the last day. I've tried everything, and this is what works for me! In taking it at night, you don't have to worry about drowsiness. Also, pick up a pack of ginger gum at a large drug store before you go. It will be in the motion sickness meds area. Keep a piece of ginger gum in your pocket at all times while on the ship. If you do get queasy, chew a piece of ginger gum, and it will calm your stomach. The gum has a strong "bite" at first, but it tastes better quickly as you chew...

Enjoy the Conquest. She's my favorite ship! :)

There are so many reasons why a ship, any ship, may have movement. It there is a heavy following sea, the ship may rise stern to bow, if there are head on seas, the ship might move forward to aft. That is what the ship's stabilizers will be used to reduce....Computers sense the speed and height of swells and adjusts the ship's position to reduce the impact. If you get seas that are coming at the ship from port or starboard, stabilitzers will not help so the Captain will try to adjust course to reduce the side to side motion.

There is one thing that is for sure....if you worry about something, it will A) make you nuts prior to the cruise B) make everyone around you nuts prior to the cruise and C) if you cruise, have no problems, then you will spend the following days kicking yourself for all the angst you went through for nothing!

Seriously,,,

Bon Voyage....

Soonerbaby....we have been on the Conquest 2x now in 2 different parts of the ship....Mid section....slight movement when taking off......And Aft where the only thing I felt were the engines, slight shudder but nothing big.

Also....just some info....Acupuncture on the ship is FANTASTIC! And well worth the money if you are ill. Justin Burkett is a highly decreed acupunturist and after a 30 min session with him I felt better than I had for YEARS....it was nothing but AMAZING!

HAVE a GREAT TIME!!!!

It $5 a minute on the ship roaming charge. It was bill on my t-mobile as Bermuda (AT&T Criuse Ship). They turn the service on when you are out of range of the local cell service. There are 3 cell domes on the ship, my guess is for each type of service. I made 3 calls on the ship, hate the rate, but glad it was there. I tried to make most calls in port.

Archived