Wild Dolphin Excursions

trvlbug_jr.

Has anybody ever taken one of the excursions where you take a boat out to an area frequented by wild dolphins and watch them in their natural habitat. You go snorkelling afterwards in another area as well.

A group of us plan on doing this and even though you can't be guaranteed you see anything, I think it would be a great experience if you do, plus you still get to snorkel regardless.

I would like to know who has done this, a good site to go through and when you went. I'm not sure if it's a good thing to go on any time of year, we're going in December, but any experiences people can tell me about, I would appreciate.

Has anybody ever taken one of the excursions where you take a boat out to an area frequented by wild dolphins and watch them in their natural habitat. You go snorkelling afterwards in another area as well.

A group of us plan on doing this and even though you can't be guaranteed you see anything, I think it would be a great experience if you do, plus you still get to snorkel regardless.

I would like to know who has done this, a good site to go through and when you went. I'm not sure if it's a good thing to go on any time of year, we're going in December, but any experiences people can tell me about, I would appreciate.

I've gone out on such a trip wuth Sunny Days...

http://www.sunnydayskeywest.com/dolphin.htm

1. Everyone who does this or a similar trip really likes it, but

2. I didn't, and I think it's because I'd rather snorkel more than watch dolphins.

You will generally go out first to the Dolphin playground to look for dolphins. If you find some you will either just see them swimming and rising to the surface, and if you are lucky they may come close to the boat or even jump out of the water. You will genenerally see at least a few while cruising around. If you don't find some at the playground they may go somewhere else, or if someone else has seen them, they will radio to your boat and you will cruise over there. It's possible to spend a lot of time searching.

Whatever time is left will be spent snorkeling, but IMO the time you will have to snorkel will be limited because of the time it will take to spot and watch dolphins.

Several other trips are described here...

http://www.fla-keys.com/listing.cfm?id=104

Pjk

Archived