Carnival Insurance VS the other

A tip from InsureMyTrip: not all insurers cover the loss of frequent flier miles if you use them for the air portion of your trip.

Depending on your program, you may incur fees to "rebank" the miles if you cancel. IMT lists several companies that will reimburse you for those fees, so if you plan to use frequent flier miles you should look into this.

I just booked a Bermuda cruise for next (2011) Oct. When I asked the cost of Carnival insurance I was told $79.00 pp. This seems reasonable and looks like it's a pretty comprehensive package.

Previously, I thought their insurance was more with less coverage.

I'm I imagining that it's a good deal?

According to our experience, Carnival's insurance is comparable to other brands. However, I personally prefer Patriot TRIP insurance (IMG Global). The last time I checked AM Best (http://www.ambest.com/) and it had a good rating. In addition to the standard coverage (deposit, lost bags, and God forbid, evacuation, etc.), Patriot included life insurance. Last time we purchased a TRIP policy, we had to request and submit the beneficiary forms separately.

My sweet, thoughtful, and impulsive honeypoo purchased Carnival's trip insurance this time. It covers our cruise only--not airline tickets, not the 5-day hotel stay in the mountains, not our lives. We "discussed" the insurance situation again Saturday and decided that our private medical/life/accident policies are enough for the land portion of the vacation. My honeypoo has agreed to eat the costs--alone--if something, God forbid, disrupts our planned vaca.

According to our experience, Carnival's insurance is comparable to other brands. However, I personally prefer Patriot TRIP insurance (IMG Global). The last time I checked AM Best (http://www.ambest.com/) and it had a good rating. In addition to the standard coverage (deposit, lost bags, and God forbid, evacuation, etc.), Patriot included life insurance. Last time we purchased a TRIP policy, we had to request and submit the beneficiary forms separately.

My sweet, thoughtful, and impulsive honeypoo purchased Carnival's trip insurance this time. It covers our cruise only--not airline tickets, not the 5-day hotel stay in the mountains, not our lives. We "discussed" the insurance situation again Saturday and decided that our private medical/life/accident policies are enough for the land portion of the vacation. My honeypoo has agreed to eat the costs--alone--if something, God forbid, disrupts our planned vaca.

Carnival Berkely's Medical coverage is minimal and their MedEvac Coverage is marginal. They do not offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions" but do offer a Future Cruise Credit if your claim is denied as being due to a pre-existing condition. They are much more expensive than comparable policies if you're younger; they are a decent policy fior the money if you're in your mid-70's or older.

Although not widely advertised/documented, both Carnival and Berkely DO claim that their Policy includes coverage for your independently purchased airfare, so IF there's a problem you may have some coverage there!!! If you purchased pre- or post cruise hotel packages via Carnival, coverage for those IS covered in the Policy - otherwise not.

Be aware that Patriot TRIP includes Accidental Death and Dismemberment on a Common Carrier (AD&D) not "Life Insurance" and that the Medical coverage is for Emergency costs during the covered trip and no coverage for follow-on expenses after the trip. The Medical coverage isn't much better than Carnivals and the MedEvac coverage is less.

ken

http://www.insuremytrip.com

Better policies than Carnival offers, for much less money.

Definitely look at their stuff. We got a much better policy. Cancel for any reason for 4 people for $110 total. TOTAL not per person.

This is also with a highly respected insurance company. One that has been around forever.

Be aware that Patriot TRIP includes Accidental Death and Dismemberment on a Common Carrier (AD&D) not "Life Insurance" and that the Medical coverage is for Emergency costs during the covered trip and no coverage for follow-on expenses after the trip. The Medical coverage isn't much better than Carnivals and the MedEvac coverage is less.

ken

Thanks for clarifying about the "life insurance." I really meant to say "AD&D" or "accident insurance." When it's a serious topic, like hard-earned money & insurance, I try to give clear and concise information.

Again, you are right. The TRIP AD&D/Medical is for emergency during the covered trip. Our stay in the mountains is the second-part of an extended vacation. If we had purchased the TRIP insurance and specified the length of the vacation, we would be covered if for some reason the ENTIRE trip is cancelled. With the Carnival insurance we have, ONLY the cruise is covered :(

Our stay in the mountains is the second-part of an extended vacation. If we had purchased the TRIP insurance and specified the length of the vacation, we would be covered if for some reason the ENTIRE trip is cancelled. With the Carnival insurance we have, ONLY the cruise is covered :(

With the 3rd Party Policy You would not only have to specify the length of the vacation extension, you have to include the cost of same in your Total Cost - so the extension is covered but you ARE paying extra for it (assuming that it moves you into another premium band).

On the remote chance that you end-up with a cancellation issue, don't forget my comments that your independent air is claimed to be covered without added cost by your Carnival Berkely Policy, which might be helpful!!!

ken

Insurance through the cruise company aka Carnival is never worth it. They don't cover from the beginning of your trip until you get home either. They cover the cruise and the cruise only.

I'm definitely not touting Carnival's Berkely Plan, but it DOES cover pre-cruise cancellations for the usual covered reasons and it DOES cover Delays getting to the Port, for covered reasons including accidents and inclement weather. Trip Cancellation coverage begins the Day they receive your payment and the remaining coverages begin at 12:01 at your location on your departure date.

ken

We always use Travelsafe Insurance. They covered all of us from age 13 - 80 and they offer a "for any reason" add on. It will cover you from the time yo leave home to the time you return home and does not have a pre existing condition clause, per say. The policy purchase is easy online and you need to know the traveler's age and the total amt of the trip you are covering and the dates, it gets great reviews and is easy to do. Good luck.

Archived