Children signing passports

dnrcim

I tried to find this in past boards, but nothing matched what I was looking for....Are kids allowed to sign their own passports (ages 8 and 5)? And if so, does it need to be in script?

Thanks in advance...:)

Yes, they can signed their own passport.....I checked the passport website but couldn't find anything about script or print.

I signed my 5 yr old's passport. I didn't think about it until we reached the check in counter @ port. I was told to sign her name in signature line w/ mine above and put "mother signed".

I wish I would've thought of it before so that she could've signed it herself......

From the FAQ:

23. My child is too young to sign his/her own passport. How do I sign my child's passport?

In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child's name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent's name, write the word (mother) or (father) so we know who signed for the child.

We just went through customs in New York yesterday and the agent pointed out that my kids (ages 13 and 17) had failed to sign their passports. No biggie... she just told them to sign them when they got home.

When we were going thru Customs this past June in Port Canaveral, the Customs agent pointed out that our children's passports were not signed (age 8 & 5). I thought it would be cute for them to sign them but the agent advised against it for identity theft reasons in the event hte passports are lost. She said I should sign for them and inidcate "Mother" in the signature. I am not sure what the "security identity" reason was but I complied.

Archived