1st time cruise for friend that found out she is pregnant!

cruisegirl36

So our best friends are going on the Conquest with us in September(for their first cruise)and she found out today she is pregnant. Its so new she hasnt even went to the doctor yet. BUT I told her we need to change some of our excursion ideas around. We were planning on doing the ATV in Jamaica and me not having children and this being her first we dont know anything but I thinks it best we dont do that.

Help us out on what she shouldnt do while on the cruise (other than the obvious, dont drink) and what kind of excursions we should in Jamaica and Grand Caymans? We are going to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel so we already have that planned.

I want to make this cruise so great that they want to come back with us in the future even though she may be limited since she is pregnant.

Congrats on your friend expecting! That's wonderful!

My best advice would be to advise her not to do anything she wouldn't be able to do at home. Other than that, she should be fine. I would have her find out from her doctor though what she'll be able to do/take if she gets any sea sickness. That would be my biggest concern!!

Thank you! I will defiantely tell her to ask. I was going to bring ginger which since its a natural vitamin I would think it would be okay. I had a client come in with the sea bands just for her pregnancy she said she always wears them. Maybe that would be good for her to wear for the trip just in case.

Make sure she's extra careful about the food and water she eats/drinks in ports. 99% of it is safe, but stay on the beaten path. Also, I'd only swim in chlorinated water if I were her. Yes, many pregnant women swim in salt water or non-chlorinated fresh water, but some doctors advise against it. And on a cruise, you can't be too careful. That's the last place I'd want something to go wrong.

Most of your excursion descriptions will say whether pregnant women can go on them. But stay away from obvious ones like horseback riding, jet-skiing, and even biking. Anything she could fall off of or lose her balance should be limited. Congrats to your friend and have fun!!

I didnt know about the cholrinated water thing... Isnt the pools salt water and hot tubs cholrinated? I guess sitting on the beach with your feet in the water is okay its just ingesting it?

Right, pools are salt water, but hot tubs are chlorinated. If the hot tub is normal temp of hot tubs, she shouldn't get in there more than a few minutes either. (I know, all these rules!:eek:). But the ocean/river water thing is more about the pathogens and/or bacteria in the water getting into cuts or mucous membranes and causing infection. Again, 9 times out of 10 she'll be fine. But pregnant women are more susceptible to infections, and infections they do get are much worse for the baby than the mother. It's all just precautionary stuff. But, like I said, you'll see pregnant women in non-chlorinated water all the time. It's just something she might want to bring up with her doctor.

As far as seasickness, yes sea bands and ginger are the only safe things for pregnancy. If she is really prone to seasickness or morning sickness, she might want to check out Relief Band. It's a watch-like device you wear on your wrist that sends tiny electrical pulses to the nerve that controls nausea. They're pricy though.

She should definitely talk with her doctor--I would consider the opinions of experienced cruisers, but my doctor would be the final word for me. :) That said, when I was pregnant, my doctor didn't limit any physical activity (but, then I didn't participate in anything you'd call risk-taking anyway). For seasickness, we've used Seabands for DD and they've worked great for her.

As a PP said, the excursion descriptions will say if pregnant women shouldn't do them (like zip lining), so be sure to read them carefully.

Have a wonderful cruise and I hope your friends have the time of their lives!

BTW, our oldest DD called this afternoon and told us she's making us grandparents for the second time! :D:D

bottled water only- drink lots of a water to keep hydrated

no seafood

she needs to see her Dr. for more info. First trimester is a time to be careful. No hiking, climbing anything that she can fall and hurt herself.

I would personally stay away from salads and fruits in port- thats just me.

Good luck and have fun!

My Advice:

She should go to the Doctor and ask HIM/HER what she should do/not do. And then she should Follow that Advice> :)

Happy Sails.

In medical situations I dont understand asking on a message board, you get opinions, not true medial advice.

"no seafood"?? (for example) This is a blanket statement...I have never heard this ...and I worked in OB offices for Years and years, I have heard "The fish that should not be eaten during pregancy according to the FDA are shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish, due to high amounts of methylmercury ."

Good lord.......she's pregnant.......not a fragile piece of crystal:rolleyes:

She will go get checked out by her doctor and then she can get on that big ship and have a great time. If anything she should mainly keep active........

I am currently pregnant and familiar with what is recommended that she not do. Off the top of my head, I would suggest not getting in a hot tub, horseback riding, scuba diving or eating raw fish. There are about the only things that I know are no nos for pregnancy according to my dr and books I have read.

Obviously some excursions are going to be more strenuous but that will also depend on her current activity level. The first trimester was pretty rough for me with the fatigue. You may want to hold off on planning too much to do. This does vary from woman to woman and she may not have this issue. I'd give her a couple weeks and see how she feels and then talk over what she thinks she can handle.

Good lord.......she's pregnant.......not a fragile piece of crystal:rolleyes:

She will go get checked out by her doctor and then she can get on that big ship and have a great time. If anything she should mainly keep active........

Yes, the OP's friend is pregnant and she's in her first trimester. My daughter-in-law just lost her baby last week... she was two months pregnant. (my first grandbaby... :( ) They are fragile and cruising in the first trimester is something the OP's friend definitely needs to talk to her doctor about and find out from an expert what she can do and cannot do.

Yes, the OP's friend is pregnant and she's in her first trimester. My daughter-in-law just lost her baby last week... she was two months pregnant. (my first grandbaby... :( ) They are fragile and cruising in the first trimester is something the OP's friend definitely needs to talk to her doctor about and find out from an expert what she can do and cannot do.

Sorry for your loss......and as a mom myself that is why I said she should get checked out by her doctor as I'm sure she will.......and unless the doc finds something unusual.......she will not be fragile....exercise is good for a healthy pregnant woman.........

But I'm not sure the op will learn anything unless she is with her at her doctors visit......surely not here.....

Perhaps she should ask her DOCTOR what would be okay for her to do.

I agree. This issue needs to be discussed between the patient and her doctor first and foremost. I'm certainly not qualified to offer advice on this topic.

Make sure she sees her doctor and gets a note that she is required to give to Carnival advising them of her condition.

And then SHE should discuss with HER doctor what he advises she do and not do. Not internet strangers.

The best time to cruise is actually the mid trimester.

Carnival's policy regarding guests who are pregnant:

While at sea or in port, the availability of medical care may be limited or delayed. Prenatal and early infant care in particular may require specialized diagnostic facilities and/or treatment that are not obtainable during the cruise on board the ship or ashore in ports of call. Pregnant women are only allowed to sail if pregnant for 24 complete weeks or less at time of cruise debarkation. All pregnant women are required to produce a physician's letter stating that mother and baby are in good health, fit to travel and the pregnancy is not high-risk. The letter must also include the estimated date of Delivery (EDD).

Because the safety of the pregnant mother and unborn child is our number one concern, Carnival will not accept any agreement or recommendation from the Guest and/or her physician that the policy be waived.

Well since she has not been to the doctor yet (she goes on monday) we will know how far along she is at that point. Thank you all for suggestions! I have given her some things to ask the doctor about just to make sure we dont need to change any plans that we have already made. I have heard something about seafood before but she doesnt eat seafood so no worries there.

Things like snorkling would be relaxing for her.

I would suggest to have her bring some tums or something for heartburn. The food on the the cruise is very rich and can cause indegestion. Pregnancy already causes that, so it might be double for her.

Personally, I wouldn't cruise. Low odds of something happening, but not worth the risk of something happening to the baby, esp. the first and third trimesters as Mr Pete stated . I don't feel thet the Medical Staff is qualified to handle many Obstetric complications or premature infant care.

Personally, I wouldn't cruise. Low odds of something happening, but not worth the risk of something happening to the baby, esp. the first and third trimesters as Mr Pete stated . I don't feel thet the Medical Staff is qualified to handle many Obstetric complications or premature infant care.

Not to be mean but I don't think she would need premature infant care if something were to happen in the first trimester.......

People need to live and a pregnancy is part of life........

My co-worker was in her first trimester, just got back from her Alaska cruise and within a few days of being home, lost the baby. Very sad! :(

Archived