Ballroom Dance Lessons

dreamscometrue2

You bet.... Gayle

Glad to help competitive dancers in the states!!!....

You guys should consider combining a cruise with a comp in the US.... There are so many comps in the FLA regions(if that is your port of call) it would be easy for you all to do a comp prior to a cruise.....

If intereted, we would love to host you in our home... We host internatioinal students often, "such a small world after alll"......

J

Hi Smoothdancer, sounds wonderful. I have always wanted to dance in another country. One day we might just get to Florida. We keep dreaming of another big overseas trip and to dance as well would be great. I will let Gary (DH) know of your kind offer. Of course the offer would be returned. We have often had friends from the USA stay with us. Even though we don't have much cruising from Brisbane except for the odd P&O cruise, we are close to a lot of other major attractions. Gayle

Hi Dreams. The entertainment was by professionals. The had three couples each night, and they each did two or three numbers each. The same people would teach a class the next day on the dances, or in one case the lifts and drops that they did on stage.

The resorts are not bad or dirty, just kind of worn out, an in need of updating. They say every year that they are in the process of doing just that , but it seems to be taking them forever. We always notice things like worn out carpets and leak stains in the ceilings. However once you get into the dancing , it just doesnt seem to matter. If you go bring some fancy clothes. The women always like to get dressed up. More so on Saturday. Then they change again after the shows so they can be more comfortable to dance the rest of the night.

There is usually a meteor shower that you can see in November. We saw it the last time we were there. Just go outside after 10:00 and you can see dozens of shooting stars. Its really neat because its so dark , with no city lights. Just hope that one night will be clear.

Eric

Zyde: we have friends that live in Groton, CT and Providence RI... also they have a place on the Cape so those are places that we travel to often...plus my daughter in law lives in Manchester, CT and my FIL lives in Portland, ME... so if you hear of anything ... we;d love to check it out!! doesn't have to be "soon" just whenever!!....

Did anyone watch the DWTS the other night... I was happy that John won but their waltz was absolutely a thing of BEAUTY!!

GCurry: do check in and let us know how you weathered the storm.... hope all is well there in your area...

and along with all the others, do hope if you did compete.. that you did wonderful!.. whether you won or not.. I hope the dance lifted your hearts and made the world go away!!

By the way, ZYDE, I loved that comment... it's what dancing is all about!!!!

Lorraine

Sorry for not responding Tropical, but ever since last Wed. we've been dancing with Rita. Left Bacliff, on Galveston Bay, Wed. at noon with a sudden urge to visit my son in Arlington TX, in the Metroplex, usually a 5 hr. drive. Made it in only 14 hrs., and was lucky to do that. The Houston area is about 4 million people, and close to 2 million tried to leave. The record heat we've been having doesn't help either, no power=noA/C. When we drove back yesterday with hundreds of thousands of others, it was 106 on the roads. We had only some fence damage, and my giant banana trees are all folded in the middle, but our house and lives are back close to normal.

The dance classes won't start again until next Tuesday, but, we do have a club dance this Saturday with a live band.

Anything beats dancing with Rita!!

Hello TropicalSun!!

"Zyde: we have friends that live in Groton, CT and Providence RI... also they have a place on the Cape so those are places that we travel to often...plus my daughter in law lives in Manchester, CT and my FIL lives in Portland, ME... so if you hear of anything ... we;d love to check it out!! doesn't have to be "soon" just whenever!!...."

Hmm lets see

Groton CT:

Oct 1 (Sat)River City Slim & The Zydeco Hogs (CT Zydeco) 2:00PM

Mum Festival, Minor Family Farm, 436 Hill St, Bristol, CT 06010 [/url]

Free, Info: (860) 589-0861

Providence RI:

Oct 6 (Thu)Cajun Jitterbug: Mamou Style 7:00PM - 8:00PM

Michelle Kaminsky Dance Instruction, The Mediator, 50 Rounds Ave, Providence, RI 02907 Admission $80, 4 weeks Oct 6-27 7-8pm recommended for those with some dance experience. Pre-registration requested., Info: 401 246-2720

Manchester CT:Oct 2 (Sun)Artists in the Country, 52 County Road, West Woodstock, CT 06281 Admission $15, Advance Price $13 by Oct 1, 2005, Event Hours 11:00AM, to 7:00PM, "Bring Picnic Lunches, chairs, outdoor venue, stay all afternoon" Donations will be accepted for Hurricane Katrina Relief for the Red Cross. Five other bands, see website for schedule

River City Slim & The Zydeco Hogs (CT Zydeco) 5:00PM

Portland ME:Feb 18 (Sat)Marcia Ball (LA R&B,Swamp-Pop)

Chocolate Church Arts Center, 798 WashingtonSt, Bath, ME 04530

Info: (207) 442-8455

Cape Cod: Oct 22 (Sat)Li'l Anne and Hot Cayenne (NY Zydeco) 8:00PM - 11:00PM Boston Zydeco, Knights of Columbus Hall, 15 Winslow St, Arlington, MA 02474 Admission $12, Potluck dinner at 6:00PM bring food to share, Dance lesson 7:00PM, Info: (617) 460-4213

I would offer this website for Zydeco Dance Listings: http://www.arnb.org/Schedule.php at the top of the page.. you can choose which state you are most interested in - click on it and pick it. The page will then only list the events in that state. Most zydeco venues happen in the spring summer and early fall in the New England area. Texas and Louisianna have events most year round.

There is even a Zydeco internet magazine listing Events: http://users.erols.com/ghayman/festivals.favorites.frame.htm

on that website is the listing for the cruise I will be on!

Zydeco is not a formal dance like Ballroom which is an art all in itself but as dance it is an expression of the human condition in the heart of simplicity.

I am glad you liked my thoughts on dance, thank you. Where I was in a wheel chair for a time to get up and move about the floor, dreaming in all the soul of the music and finding its expression's heart beating out a time in your being.. well, I had thought I lost all that. I met people who gave it back to me even before I stood up again. And I never want to lose it again. When I saw this thread my whole person leapt up in joy... you people have such a gift!! a true gift! Tho I have not met any of you.. seen you dance.. I can hear it in your words and close my eyes and imagine. And there I am... kinda like the first time you set foot on a cruise ship I guess!

Thrilling to the core!

Some day I will find myself at a ballroom dance class and I intend to tell them all about the most wonderful people I met on this thread!!

:)

i tried to post the other day and "lost" the post...

Zyde, thanks for the info... I will keep those links ... who knows... may run into each other sometime!!

Gcurry: so glad to hear you weathered the storm....despite all the traffic problems ...... I don't think ol' Lance would approve of Rita's dance style.... terrible Back leader!!

We are off to disney...hope we can go out dancing a couple nights...mostly it will be nice to get away and relax.... we have a couple Halloween parties coming up and ordered some great costumes on Ebay!!

Hope everyone has a great week!!

Lorraine

Hello Tropical Sunset!!

You are most welcome! I will be at Mardi Gras in Warwick RI this next spring. So far that is the only committment I have made. Loved visiting Breaux Bridge LA last May so just might try to do it again this next May. But I surely hope that I find the ballroom dancing lessons and sit myself self down next to you and have the pleasure of watching you two dance!! In my dance community there are a couple of couples that .. geez I always wish I had my camcorder with me so that I could tape them. They are like the best ever Ice Cream Sundae a 5 yr could get!! Their style, sense of rhythm, and attitude just wows me. Someday.. gonna do just that.. tape .. and savor the joy for as long as I can. If you ever do get to a dance look for Mark and Gery; Tom and Stephanie; Nick and Gay; Ed and Barbara; and Jan and Bob!!

Gee Whiz .. costumes.. to dance in.. ? ok .. curiousity got the cat.. what did you choose?? can you dance in them? I love costumes. I saw this one, haven't the $$ to get it just yet.. let me know what you think? http://www.buycostumes.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12454&PCatID=adultcostumes&ccatid=adultsexycostumes

I wish you the best ever cruise .. with mucho happy mem's to spare!! :D

Zyde: Love the costume.... must do the wig too!! :D :D

This is us:

Cleopatra Costume

King Ramses

(my husband doesn't really like to "match"..... :rolleyes: )

Mardi Gras in Warwick, RI sounds doable.... do send more

information....we might get a hotel and stay over...

my email is:

beverageatoptonlinedotnet

We're not cruising this trip.... sharing a timeshare in Orlando with friends.... adults only -- so it should be fun...

couple days we will just chill by the pool!!!

Hello Tropical Sunset!

Glad you liked my costume. I found out tho, that they won't be having a Mardi Gras Ball on the cruise ship as was done in past years.. drat. I love to dress up ! Those costumes look like alot of fun! and easy to dance in.. tho I dont' think you would be doing the Lindy! :)

Will do on the info for MG!

oo. a time share .. Orlando.. well you may find some great Ball Room Dancing down there and life will be grand again! Surely do hope its a blast!

Blue

Have enjoyed reading everybodies comments lately.

We went to watch a couple of weekends ago International Ballroom Competition in Kingston, Ontario - 45 minutes from our house. As I had previously told everyone, we haven't had opportunities for dance lessons close to us - so what we have learned mostly til now has been on our own with tapes. So to go and watch this competition was wonderful. We were able to talk to a few people that were our age and were impressed with the costumes and the number of competitions couples would enter (and also the age of some (4 yrs on up - that danced great)). So you folks that are going out and competing all the time - I take my hat off to you because it certainly is alot of work - but I am sure rewarding also.

I also have a request - we will be visiting our son during Thanksgiving in Jacksonville, Florida. Any suggestions to locations for dancing in that area???? Please and thank you.

Ahhh Mrs BoobBoom,

I am so glad that you were able to attend a dance comp. It is just amazing to watch the pro's, isnt it?

Our last comp a few weeks back I was certain that I was just going to die!!.. We danced many heats in a row, ending with the VW.. We are in good shape and I wasnt sure I was going to keep up and make it to the end of the music! So now its back to working on building up stamnia for our next comp in just a few weeks in Atlanta.

Dancers enjoy all different kind of dance and settings. We love the competition aspect of dance. It allows us to work on the technique of the dance, which we love. It also gives us short term goals to reach for. Not to long ago we thought we would stop competitng. After about of month of not training in this manner we just missed it to much. We are now training with a Russian instructor who is just great!

Why dont you try going online to the FLA chapter of the USABDA.. There is tons of dancing in Fla, and I am sure they can lead you in the right direction. They are very freindly.

Janet

Janet

I feel like I must have two left feet and be dense as a brick wall, too.

We finished with our initial 5 lessons. However, DW and I are barely able to move together while dancing. We enjoy the basics that we were able to pick up, but feel SO inadequate. The instructor kept wanting to move on to more and more advanced steps in the dances, while DW and I were still working on the basics. I guess he felt that everyone would be bored if he didn't introduce advanced steps to the dances. DW and I usually ended up confused rather than enlightened at the end of the night.

We'll take more lessons, just not from the same instructor. We might go back to him later, but, not right away.

hi SilverG. I agree. You need to get over the uncomfortable hump. After that you will find it a whole lot easier. We have just had a whole new batch of beginners turn up at our social teaching night thanks in part to series 3 of Dancing with the Stars. Its great to see people come into the studio with 2 left feet and being uncomfortable to progressing to a point where they can actually talk and dance at the same time. HANG IN THERE. !!! :)

hi SilverG. I agree. You need to get over the uncomfortable hump. After that you will find it a whole lot easier. We have just had a whole new batch of beginners turn up at our social teaching night thanks in part to series 3 of Dancing with the Stars. Its great to see people come into the studio with 2 left feet and being uncomfortable to progressing to a point where they can actually talk and dance at the same time. HANG IN THERE. !!! :)

DW and I practiced in our kitchen last night. We're still counting the beat, so it may be a while before we'll be able to talk and dance at the same time.

Hang in there SilverG, it takes a lot of time and commitment. We work with a lot of new dance couples, and most are very surprised at how difficult it is at first.

But, "Ole Lance" the instructor moves you along slowly, making sure you have the basics, and there are a lot of basics, before you ever get anything near fancy.

A lot of people saw DWTS and thought we need to do that. What they couldn't realize is the amount of hours it took to "stage" those dances, as they would only have to prepare for one song with not that many steps. The competitors here like Smooth & Mummsie can tell you what a real competition is like, and it ain't a one hour show.

That being said, I can't think of many hobbies, envolving exercise, that are this much fun or satisfying. I will remain a social dancer, but, we keep getting better at it.

Sounds like the Polka!

Nope--that's a schottische!

Years ago, when I was in college, our German instructor used to host an annual Oktoberfest in one of the dorm basements. DH and I collect old music and we put together the play list for these events. Sure was fun, but outside Wisconsin and other German/Norwegian areas, it's hard to find people who know the music or the dance.

Someone once told me that the polka is the most strenuous dance form there is. Having danced a polka marathon or two, I believe it. Most informal polka marathons only last about 20 minutes; no one can dance (run) that long!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I’ve been reading a bit lately, and think that perhaps our instructor has fallen into the trap of teaching dance steps instead of teaching dance. He started out really well, with a very basic introduction, but VERY quickly transitioned into teaching advanced steps.

We can dance a basic step with the foxtrot, waltz or hustle, but we’re still at the counting stage. While we were trying to figure out slow-slow-quick-quick, he would move on to a promenade, grapevine, or twinkle, etc., etc., etc. Since we didn’t have a clue about it, we thought we should be able to pick up those steps as he was teaching them. We weren’t able to pick them up, and it was rather discouraging to have him move on to teach a new step while we still struggled with the basics of the dance. Once he started us working on the East Coast Swing, we got totally confused.

We aren’t giving up. We have enjoyed what we are able to do, and want to continue. We will never be dance competitors (our knees can’t take it.) But, we will learn more about how to dance, look good while we’re doing it, and have fun. Our goal is to have the dance repertoire to be prepared for (almost) any song.

I’m struggling with learning to lead. Because we were in a dance class, rather than at a “Real Dance”, I didn’t get to the point of paying attention to what else is happening on the dance floor, the pattern of what we’re doing and how that looks, or thinking about what we do next. Because of this, I’m just beginning to realize that, (1) the person leading (that’d be me) decides "what's next", because our dance is not choreographed. (2) The decision about "what's next" has to be made before the action can take place. And, (3) if I don’t communicate "what's next" to my partner, the best outcome is that we’ll continue with the basic step.

These are all in addition to learning the actual mechanics of communicating with my partner. I’ve still not figured out the intricacies of that yet.

Hi there Silver,

So glad to see my fellow posters gave you such a warm welcome.... Me too, welcome aboard!!

After reading your posts, I think you are one ahead of the game..... Most new students think that the instuctor is full of knowledge, and goes along with whatever they teach... You have made a few great observations.... You want to learn the basics first, and not be moved along at a pace you are not ready for, and then you concluded that perhaps this is not the instructor for you.... GOOD for you... I encourage you to keep on this track, and remember you are paying for these lessons, they are your lessons, and absolutley tell the instuctor, no this is not what you want..... And if it doesnt work, find a new instructor!!

If you will allow me to ramble on here...... I know as man(and,me being the woman, ) I know and appreciate just how hard it is to lead. You are right, you must anticipate your step one step before you do it... You must communicate to the lady what you want her to do... Damn, this is not easy and glad it is not my job!! But before you can ever do this, you must know the basic steps. Dont worry so about the lead now... How can you lead if you dont know the basic steps.???.. Dont worry that you are not dancing just yet.... It will come once you learn the steps and feel comfortable with them.

The thing is once you know the basics steps, then you can dance. I prefer knowing basic steps, and dancing them with my husband. I stay away from chorographed routines because in a social setting you will never be able to do it..... As long as you know the basics, you can dance around the floor, and weave in and out of the dancers.... You will be amazed just how well and how much enjoyment you can get out of 3 or 4 steps done in control, and well....

Really, after 5 lessons they are teaching you grapevines... No wonder you are fustrated.

Silver, my husband and I have been dancing together for 15 years plus, and I cannot express enough the sheer enjoyment we get from danicng as a partnership.... I know you will find the same joy.... Yes, we do compete and train to do so, but I have said this a million times already....it is not so much the competition we enjoy, but the fun of working and dancing together to get ready to compete...

Welcome to the world of dance... Caution, this is habit forming, and a life changing expereince.

Smooth

Really, after 5 lessons they are teaching you grapevines... No wonder you are fustrated.

He had us doing the grapevine on the third night!

Thanks, again for the encouragement. We'll definitely look for another instructor. DW and I talked about the course, the last night, and came to a consensus (of two) that we needed an instructor that was much more oriented toward those new to dance.

Probably one of the toughest things to learn, the right hand is the key, positioning and pressure, push and pull tells your partner what's coming next.

Of course until you are really good, and your signals are clear, its not against the law to tell your partner what step you are leading her into.

Ole Lance alway starts the newbies with foxtrot, as that will be the majority of what is played. He'll teach the basic step and count, separately and as couples. Then he'll introduce the open promenade and perhaps the forward. He doesn't move on until everyone can do the step, and he determines that with a critical and jaundiced eye "No,no,no you always start on the left foot, do you know which is your left foot sir?". One hour a week for six weeks, he'll slowly work through the basic steps of Foxtrot, East Coast Swing, Waltz, and if they have really been good, rumba. By the end, they should be doing the open, forward, junior and senior promenades in Foxtrot. If they come back for more sessions, he'll work in more steps as they progress. So SilverG, start with every step you know one after the other, and repeat them when you come to the end. That way you and your partner will know what's next as you learn the leads. Hope this helps.

OTRlady, you'll be happy to know that the Schottische is alive and well in Texas. Every Country and Western band in the state always plays the "Cotton Eyed Joe" immediatly followed by the Schottische, and we all know how to dance them, it's a State Law!

MCG....

I loved your post!!!... More than once I had an instructor ask me if I knew my left foot from my right foot...AUGGGG....

Still, as we compete, now and then I have picked up a few tricks... I have the ability to cock my head so it looks like it was planned, yet what I am doing is talking in my DH ear and saying.... what the hell are you telling me to do...???? Cant read the lead.... Yup, I can do this and smile at the same time!!!

On another note.... You all have to be careful where you practice.... When we first started to take lessons my DH and I would practice our Rumba steps in the living room because the floor was hard wood.... Never thought about that we were trying to dance in full view of our picture window..... Neighbors started to talk..... They thought I was being abused and started to ask me if all was OK....... Well I guess our practice did looked like abuse.... Who knows , maybe it was!!!... After that we closed the shades!!!...less the police end up at our door

All for the love of dance.......

Glad to hear it GCurry. We have visited Texas many times and seen it ourselves. Actually, though, Texas polka & schottische doesn't look like the traditional German stuff one sees around here. Maybe it's just the music. You can do it to C&W, but old-time German and Scandinavian music works better, IMHO.

My parents (Mom, mostly) are from the thumb area of Michigan, which is traditionally German & Polish. Many weddings up there are still all polka today. I grew up mostly in Wisconsin, myself; I don't think you're allowed to grow up here without learning to polka. And schottische--which, by the way, is the dance, not the music. There are probably hundreds of traditional schottisches. Of the old-time bands I'm familiar with, the Six Fat Dutchmen and Whoopee John seemed to play the most schottisches.

By way of introductions, I've just been lurking here in the wings for a few days. I found your thread and read through from top to bottom--took a while. I love to dance, but have virtually no training or know-how. DH is totally blind and refuses to learn, though I think he would do fine. So I have to content myself with the music, which we both love, and watching others.

Don't have a lot to contribute, so I probably can't post much. But it's fun reading about dance with all of you.

I do have a couple questions:

1. Does anyone know the difference between a laendler and a waltz? To me, the timing sounds the same, but old records are very clearly marked as one or the other.

2. In reading about the sequence dances, I've been wondering if the ones depicted in A&E's version of Pride & Prejudice are exemplary of an old English sequence dance. What Mummsie describes as New Vogue sounds more like what I learned as square dance when I was a child--although the Virginia Reel seems more like a sequence dance again. So what's the difference between the sequence dance, New Vogue, and square dance?

Archived