Ballroom Dance Lessons

dreamscometrue2

they had an awesome quartet playing ballroom music and ballroom dancing even made the front page of the Cruise Compass one day

unfortunately, the Vojtek Quartet was playing in Dizzy's Lounge, which has to have the tiniest dance floor on the entire darn ship!!!

I asked a member of the cruise director's staff if they'd be at a venue with a larger dance floor at some point in the cruise, and she said, yes, on the two days at sea on the way home they'd be in Maharajah's (which has a great dance floor).

She lied.

The Vojtek Quartet never played anywhere other than Dizzy's. On the second formal night, there were quite a few couples up there; we kind of took turns on the dance floor, and even resorted to dancing in the carpeted areas next to the dance floor! (sore legs next day!)

However, there was a band in Maharajah's one night that played 50s-60s-70s-80s, and there were some great songs for swing & cha-cha during the 50s-60s hour.

Never did get a real chance to try out my new quickstep skills (other couple had the dance floor for that one :) ) BUT did do a little of it in the lobby of the theatre while we were waiting to debark this morning! My dance partner was pleasantly surprised - he was just stepping it off (trying to ward off boredom, I believe), so I just stepped over & into his arms and let him dance me across the lobby.

We both made sure to put something on the survey card about how good the quartet was, but that we hated the location that they had been given. Maybe if the CD's staff had been up in Dizzy's night before last, they'd realize that (as they had stated in the Compass) Ballroom is Back and given this great group a room with a decent dance floor....

Hi Tropical, We go from Singapore. Ports are Kuala Lumpus, Langkawe Island, Krabi, Phuket Island, Penang and back to Singapore. Not many sleeps now. Only one problem. I have lost quite a bit of weight recently and none of my holiday clothes fit - they all swim on me. Not good when you are going to a country where nobody has hips so I can't buy anything over there. I will have to try and buy some clothes here before we go. Not easy when we are in winter and I need to buy shorts :o Mummsie

Hey Steve I see you found the ballroom dancing thread, guess you are now as hooked as we are!;)

Don't worry about salsa. It really can be a hard dance depending on the song. I am glad you are enjoying it. Herb and I knew you would!

Hey Lisr (That's Southernese for Lisa)

Yeah....I am enjoying it. I can't let Herb have all the fun. Hope they have another Martini class, that would be a great prelude to Salsa dancing. I know I won't care what the heck I look like after three tini's.

I hear Our Quarterback got hurt riding his Motorcycle. Don't you people know you are supposed to baby sit our team over the summer. We have to win next year....how can we do it with a back up quarterback.

Oh by the way, say hey to herb for me.

It's closer than you think.

see ya

steve

CRUZIN....

Well of course I always have ballroom dance and competing on the brain! They have great competitions with great shows in your area.... We come down each October for the Regional competition at the GA convention center.. You should go watch a comp, great fun!!

The Maryland Comp went rather well... We have new smooth routines, and a new coach that is really changing the dynamics of our dance.. You know when you start to change things it gets worse before it gets better, so overall we were pleased with how it felt. I have this feeling it is just impossible to stretch my top line anymore without my head falling off.... still she wants more. We did some of the rhythms, a long stretch from international standard and we had a lot of fun with it.

Horray, a break is near!!.. We are going on a cruise to Bermuda in just a short 2 and 1/2 weeks. Cant wait. One week after we return we compete in Virginia.

Roofin,

Glad to hear you had a great cruise and that ballroom made "front page". Maybe we can look forward to improved dance floors in the future.

The NCL Wind has had the best floor on a cruise we've found. The main showroom stage retracts for a nice size floor, and the show band plays ballroom for 45 min every night.

Smooth you mentioned she, did you switch from the Russian male? Isn't the Bermuda cruise on NCL?

Interesting ports mummsie, half a world away, do you get to dance a lot on those cruises? Weight loss and not fitting in your clothes, yeah, I hear a lot of women complain about that!!:)

Ole Lance worked us through putting a wagon wheel in an exhibition step in waltz last night. He was the usual Sweet Ole Boy we've grown to know and love.

CRUZIN....

Well of course I always have ballroom dance and competing on the brain! They have great competitions with great shows in your area.... We come down each October for the Regional competition at the GA convention center.. You should go watch a comp, great fun!!

The Maryland Comp went rather well... We have new smooth routines, and a new coach that is really changing the dynamics of our dance.. You know when you start to change things it gets worse before it gets better, so overall we were pleased with how it felt. I have this feeling it is just impossible to stretch my top line anymore without my head falling off.... still she wants more. We did some of the rhythms, a long stretch from international standard and we had a lot of fun with it.

Horray, a break is near!!.. We are going on a cruise to Bermuda in just a short 2 and 1/2 weeks. Cant wait. One week after we return we compete in Virginia.

Roofin,

Glad to hear you had a great cruise and that ballroom made "front page". Maybe we can look forward to improved dance floors in the future.

When in October? I would love to take Mercedes. We have a cruise on Oct 15 out of LA to Cabo, Matzalan and Puerto V. Hopefully by then I can somewhat hold my own on the dance floor. I'll keep working and practicing. I can't think of anything more I would rather be doing than holding my wife close.

We have two coaches... The "she" teaches us in American Smooth... She also competes this style professionally. Our Russian male coach teaches us in International style... Twice the amount of touture!!

Yes, our Bermuda cruise is coming up on NCL... Cant wait. We are going on the Crown which is a smaller ship, but I am sure I will find somewhere to dance!

Cruz..

I think you would enjoy this comp. It is strictly Amatuar, and most competetors are in fact husband and wife teams... The have a dinner dance and show on Saturday evening, very reasonably priced.. I looked it up and it is at The Georiga World Congress Center on October 28th... Now, if you want to talk about a large dance floor, this is it!! If you have an interest I will post the link for you when it is available.

We have two coaches... The "she" teaches us in American Smooth... She also competes this style professionally. Our Russian male coach teaches us in International style... Twice the amount of touture!!

Yes, our Bermuda cruise is coming up on NCL... Cant wait. We are going on the Crown which is a smaller ship, but I am sure I will find somewhere to dance!

Cruz..

I think you would enjoy this comp. It is strictly Amatuar, and most competetors are in fact husband and wife teams... The have a dinner dance and show on Saturday evening, very reasonably priced.. I looked it up and it is at The Georiga World Congress Center on October 28th... Now, if you want to talk about a large dance floor, this is it!! If you have an interest I will post the link for you when it is available.

I would be very interested. I think it would be a blast. Thank you.

Steve & Mercedes

Hey Lisr (That's Southernese for Lisa)

Yeah....I am enjoying it. I can't let Herb have all the fun. Hope they have another Martini class, that would be a great prelude to Salsa dancing. I know I won't care what the heck I look like after three tini's.

I hear Our Quarterback got hurt riding his Motorcycle. Don't you people know you are supposed to baby sit our team over the summer. We have to win next year....how can we do it with a back up quarterback.

Oh by the way, say hey to herb for me.

It's closer than you think.

see ya

steve

Yeah, Big Ben was very lucky he did not get hurt worse. Hopefully he will learn that he is not invincible. Ah, youth.

Anyway, can't wait to hear about the Champagne party at your studio. We are going to a USA dance party tomorrow night. It is the first time we can make it to one. Many people from our studio go so we are looking forward to it. We haven't been to dance since Monday since I had the nerve to get sick this week. We definitely need to practice, gotta keep ahead of you and Merc for the cruise in October!;)

Steve,

We would love to meet up with you guys in Atlanta... Send me your Email address and we will be sure to send you the info and introduce ourselves to you at the event... Interesting, we have met so many couples on- line, no matter what state we end up in..... Ballroom dancers are the best, so freindly and so much fun!!!

you can find us at justeatin@yahoo.com

Steve,

We would love to meet up with you guys in Atlanta... Send me your Email address and we will be sure to send you the info and introduce ourselves to you at the event... Interesting, we have met so many couples on- line, no matter what state we end up in..... Ballroom dancers are the best, so freindly and so much fun!!!

you can find us at justeatin@yahoo.com

Nault1377@bellsouth.net

I need all the practic I can get. I think the more I am around the dancing the more interested and more I will practice. I caught a glimpse of "Dirty Dancing, Havana Nights" on TV and found myself trying to emulate the dancers. Thank God...(literally) there are no cameras in my bedroom. My wife would have laughed her head off. But I am trying.

thanks for the info. Would thoroughly enjoy meeting you and watching the comp.

Well my last day at work for 3 weeks.:D This time next week we will be in Singapore sightseeing for the day before we board the SS Gemini. Will let you all know how good the dancing is on this ship. Its supposed to have a really good band and dance floor. bye for now - Mummsie

Hi Tropical. Thanks. I am looking forward to a break before we get back to wedding organisation. 14 weeks until our daughter ties the knot. Foot has good days and bad days. I was going to take a new pair of latin shoes on the cruise but I think I will borrow my daughters comp ones - they are semi broken in and I have worn them before. I will have to buy some of those gel heel inserts though otherwise I can see me being crippled by the end of the week. My old faithfuls that I usually take are looking a bit daggy now. At least on the ship I don't need to worry about footwork so if my heel hurts I can dance on my toes :p - Mummsie

Have a great cruise Mummsie. It sounds like you are enjoying heel spurs, which are no fun. Did you ever find cruise wear after your weight loss?

Isn't it terrible when your clothes are too large?:)

Thanks Tropical, as time goes by I dress up my board presentation, we have a hot and heavy roll call board for our "Grand" Dec cruise, over 6,000 posts, & on page 302. Everybody treats you like family which means badly!!

We are dancing at every opportunity and still taking lessons with Ole Lance, who missed for illness this week. It must have been distemper.

GEne: Isn't that fatal??? the distemper, I mean??? :p You may have to come up here and find Smooth's dance coach!!!

Clothes.... too Large??!!! What is that all about???? :confused:

Mummsie: how great to trade shoes.... my GF and I wear the same size but her taste in shoes does not intersect with mine and she does not dance...:(

I danced all last cruise with a bad back.... and even fell but sooo enjoyed the dance music... and as my chiropractor said..." You would do it all again in a heartbeat, I bet"... he knows me too well... I geuss that is what Smooth refers to as the LOVE of BAllroom DAnce.... !!!

I look forward to Mummsie;s impression of the cruise... don't know if I'll ever get to that area... and it is sosoo exotic to us here in the NOrtheast USA!!!

I hope I did not miss Mummsie.... Have a great time on your cruise, and dance the nights away!!

We leave for our cruise next Sunday. I broke down and bought a new camera for the trip today and I have been playing with it most of the afternoon!! (poor dog has flash shock, she was my subject)

Although we should be working on preparing for the National competition coming up soon, for the past week or so we have been taking fun rhythm lessons to learn some cool stuff to dance on our cruise!!... We will do 2 more comps in July before we leave for the nationals in August... Then whew, we take a break and wont compete again until March. It is going to be strange taking a break after this crazy year of competing so much.

OK. I've never been a dancer and my wife would love to dance on our next cruise. I've thought about lessons before the trip but haven't done any research yet. Do these Arthur Murray places or similar studios offer inexpensive short term lessons?

9 weeks to go. What do you think?

OK. I've never been a dancer and my wife would love to dance on our next cruise. I've thought about lessons before the trip but haven't done any research yet. Do these Arthur Murray places or similar studios offer inexpensive short term lessons?

9 weeks to go. What do you think?

IMHO about your only hope would be a studio which will cost you more than other options, but would give you the individual instruction you would need to become a dancer in 9 weeks. You could probably learn the basic steps to Fox Trot, Waltz, East Coast Swing and possible Rumba in 9 weeks which would get you through most dances. You could consider your options when you return.

We go the Community College route, which is less expensive but it takes longer and they are always group lessons.

Let us know how your Bermuda Cruise went Smooth.

Tropical, SE Texas would seem pretty exotic to you right now, the heat and humidity rivals Bombay.

Mummsie was complaining that she had lost a lot of weight and her cruise clothes didn't fit. Plus horrors, in the exotic ports she was cruising they don't have clothes that fit Westerners well.

Agree, you can do it in 9 weeks. In fact, this was how we started dancing. We enrolled in a short program at Arthur Murrays to learn how to dance for a cruise, and then never stopped!

But it can be expensive. Arthur Murray does a (I think) a 7 week program that combines priviate ang group lessons, but it is expensive. You are looking upwards towards $1,000.00. I dont think you will find anything to cheap to learn in 9 weeks.

I can only speak about the area I live in, but...

In our area Fred Astire studios offers a group class pass. The pass cost $99.00 for the month and you can go to as many classes as you like. They usually have two group classes a night... Might be worth the money for you if you can attend a lot of classes. The classes are geared towards beginner dancers.

Learning to dance really can come in all formats and price ranges. Good Luck!!

we signed up for the Astaire dance lessons...five private lessons $290. Worth every penny so far. I even look like Fred on the dance floor after two lessons......Fred Flintstone that is!!!

But I am feeling a little more comfortable doing the Salsa with my Latin wife. Usually I will just stand there and lift up my feet and move a little, now I know to move my hips my arms etc.

We have a few months to go and we plan to take more than five lessons. but If I spend two thousand dollars it will be worth it to enjoy my cruises and my wife...on the dance floor....

cruise on...

we signed up for the Astaire dance lessons...five private lessons $290. Worth every penny so far. I even look like Fred on the dance floor after two lessons......Fred Flintstone that is!!!

But I am feeling a little more comfortable doing the Salsa with my Latin wife. Usually I will just stand there and lift up my feet and move a little, now I know to move my hips my arms etc.

We have a few months to go and we plan to take more than five lessons. but If I spend two thousand dollars it will be worth it to enjoy my cruises and my wife...on the dance floor....

cruise on...

Archived