Detailed Carnival Victory review:Photos,Menus,Fun Times July 4th-11, 2010

Great review. and of course it is NOT too detail.. thats what we all want!! lol. this is one cruise i would like to take, it was our original 2yrs ago, but we switched it to a 5 day out of ny to canada.

Thank you very your thorough and complete review - looking forward to the next posting. My wife and I have been curious about the experience of flying into and embarking in San Juan, and your review does a great job of explaining the process. Keep up the great work!

Great review so far! And thanks for taking the time to upload all of the Funtimes/menus since I have not seen any current Victory ones.

We are going on this cruise this September and as staying at the Courtyard San Juan Miramar pre-cruise, so I enjoyed your review of the hotel as well. I know you mentioned a few fastfood places nearby, but are there any local restaurants or shops in the area? The reviews on TripAdvisor seem to either say there is nothing nearby, or lots of things close!

Oh, if you remember, are the docking times listed for the ports when you can actually get off the ship, or is it after the stated time. Thanks!

Great review so far! And thanks for taking the time to upload all of the Funtimes/menus since I have not seen any current Victory ones.

We are going on this cruise this September and as staying at the Courtyard San Juan Miramar pre-cruise, so I enjoyed your review of the hotel as well. I know you mentioned a few fastfood places nearby, but are there any local restaurants or shops in the area? The reviews on TripAdvisor seem to either say there is nothing nearby, or lots of things close!

Oh, if you remember, are the docking times listed for the ports when you can actually get off the ship, or is it after the stated time. Thanks!

Your welcome. First the hotel fast food- if one comes out front lobby door, and turn to street on right walk down that to your right and across street in a block the Subway sandwich shop and carry-out pizza chain (cannot recall name)I think there may have been a pharmacy shop next to Subway too. There are also local restaurants (local cuisine eatieries) both ways on that same side of street as hotel. The bell-hops are very helpful in suggestions. I do not know of any shops or supermarket type store. I personally would stick to permimiter of hotel area if walking-not sure of neighbor hood type. I did not get any bad sites or impressions, but if unfamiliar best to error on conservative street. Shopping can be found in Old San Juan- most open until 6pm then vendors seem to close up. I think open later on pre-cruise days though. I saw local vendor truck (like kind at State Fair) that was selling sandwiches called Tripletta that smelled great. I think they have been review favorably in another review.

RE:Port times-that is listed as approximate time ship is docked. I would say add a minimum of 15min for ship clearnace to get off, and take into account line that will form to get off. Passengers are also required to be back on board ship 30 minutes prior to time listed. For instance in St.Thomas I think we docked at 8:00 and off at 8:30,most ship tours were set to meet on dock at 8:30am. Back on board by 4:30pm. Some island clocks will be different (always go by ship clock time)-in summer I checked world clock and all islands matched EST. daylite savings time = east coast. Here is link to a world clock calculator. http://www.timeanddate(Dot)com/worldclock/results.html?query=charlotte+amalie

Suzy

Edited by Buffettfan 225
more info

Thanks for encouragement to continue review. Got really busy returning to "reality." tomorrow hope to add to review- any questions in mean time just ask. I was hoping review was not too detailed, over general type commentary review. I will continue tomorrow more photos,menu & comments.

Wow! I'm really enjoying your review, I love detailed reviews. We'll be sailing on Victory, but not until summer 2012.

Day 2 St. Thomas-

Arrival time 7:00am, earliest ship excursions set to meet at 8:15. We were off ship at 8:45am. This port we have been to many times and while we loved going to St.Johns for its beach, this cruise wished to go to Megan’s Beach area that we visited 25 years ago on honeymoon cruise. This time we were taking my mom for her first time to a Caribbean beach. We gathered around 8:45. I believe all gangways this cruise were level 0. (Infirmary level I believe)

Note that not all elevators will take you to level 0.

My mom Sherri,Mike husband, Suzy off to Megan's Beach,St.Thomas

2567384290103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

We usually were able to hop a safari shuttle type taxi right as we exited ship, I think due to all the tours gathering at this time, or perhaps a rule change we were sent outside into Havensight mall, walking down left to official taxi area. We just wanted to make sure it would not be making many stops prior to Megan’s. The only prior stop was downtown shopping area which is 5-min away around the curve.

We dropped about half of our shuttle load downtown, and since I was in front row of shuttle, moved to a seat further back. It is not breezy in first row, (= hot) and cannot see sights as well either. It also did not help with my motion sickness symptoms just facing a metal wall with a small fuzzy window- moving back to be able to see was very helpful, plus the breeze. In St.Thomas they drive on left hand side of the road. If I recall correctly, the best views for taking photos are on right side of shuttle as facing forward, and on return trip the left side for sure. Our driver on return trip pulled over for two brief photo ops of ship in Charlotte Amalie Harbor.

2312482420103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Shuttle was $8 per person each way + $4 National Park entrance per person to Megan’s Bay. When you get off shuttle the taxi will say remember this number I will be back. Pretty much ignore that for this location. The shuttles are sent out in order they arrive to parking lot and wait, so just get in one going to ship +/or downtown shopping (they go thru it on way back) and hope it is near full as they wait for a nearly full load.

The shuttles will drop you off in a parking lot and in front of you is Megan’s Bay. To your far right is a set of bathrooms, showers and there is an outside shower to rinse feet.

2679619830103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

As you walk straight, and turn left there immediately is a large shed that you rent a lounge chair, beach chair (the short ones-good for setting up right on edge near water, or just to keep belongings off the ground) and floating mats (the bright blue foam kind).

As you come around front of this shed, directly up and to right is the gift shop. To rent first go inside gift shop and pay at counter. They will charge double the total, that is the rental cost + deposit. You then get a receipt, show to the guy dispensing rentals and have to haul them yourself from shed. (I think I saw an older set of people ask and must have tipped them to drag chairs for them though.)

Shot standing in front of shed, looking back at parking lot

2376825300103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

Prices:

2594842420103372150S425x425Q85.jpg2855792540103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

St.Thomas Day 2 cont.

Stairs up to gift shop, there is also a place one can order breakfast,lunch,snacks,pizza,burgers. Plenty of outdoor picnic tables on beach and deck area. Today we even were introduced to a roving cocktail waitress on beach (that was a first.)

2116710850103372150S425x425Q85.jpg2665566810103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

We stacked our chairs and headed left, (it was about 9:20am now) and the shady spots were starting to become occupied.

We decided upon a nice large tree, just before first lifeguard station. (by the yellow object seen in photo) this area remained shady well until noon when we left.

2398476590103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

2823735840103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

Our spot looking toward right side, toward parking area. Highly recommend not setting up on beach between bathrooms,parking lot and main building, it became very busy, solid with families, and not very serene. Choose from left on down of building-further you go the less crowded.

The beach has lifeguards, and one can only swim out to bouy markers before getting whistled. We barely went out 1/3 of the way, or less as prefer touching the bottom.

2632076670103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Our spot looking toward right side, toward parking area. Highly recommend not setting up on beach between bathrooms,parking lot and main building, it became very busy, solid with families, and not very serene. Choose from left on down of building-further you go the less crowded.

2221326960103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Awesome! I wanted to have our room decorated for our Anniversary too. Do they put anything on the door? Is the rum part of the decor package? It looks great

Nothing on the Door. The Anniversary Decorations consisted of 4 streames, center piece on ceiling, the banner on mirror and centerpiece next to the rum.

NO the rum was an order I also placed with Bon Voyage dept that we placed. It was a 1.1liter of Bacardi Rum for $40 and two keychains with Carnival on one side and Bon Voyage engraved on other.

Bon Voyage Department open 9am-5pm EST

Should place order at least 2 weeks prior to sail date-Some have placed orders closer to sail date,, but better safe than sorry..Prices Do Not include tax. 800-522-7648

If I had enough time prior to cruising I would have made signs for our door saying if it is Monday it must be St.Thomas etc. I believe doors are also not magnetic. What was funny on last night we decided to "undo" the decorations to bring home. Wouldn't you know it, what appeared as sticky tape, all along were double sided magnets! Here I would have tightened one of the streamers to not have my husband duck under one all week!

I loved decorations and whatever occasion will order something for cabin. It really set I am on vacation mood.

I hope you're coming back, Buffettfan! (I read "buffet" the first time I saw that, haha) can't wait to read the rest as I leave in a week!

So true, back when I registered for CC, I miss-spelled Buffett fan as in Jimmy Buffett, and left off a "t". So all along it could have been interpreted as food fan-so funny that it was for a cruise board! So I just changed name recently from buffetfan to buffettfan 225

St.Thomas cont. part 3

It was now nearing lunch time and checked out the food area- it did smell so good. 11:00am they were just finishing breakfast ordering and lunch would start at 11:30. Not wishing to wait for an $8.00 burger we packed up around noon. We had been chatting with people that were staying on island, and heard they were going to rent chairs. We cut a deal, and they paid amount they would get back for a deposit, gave them receipt and it saved us dragging chairs back, and they saved some money.

We then headed to parking lot, happily catching a nearly full shuttle.

Noone on shuttle wanted to be dropped off in downtown shopping area, so went directly to ship. The driver made two 15 second stops for lookout photos, so have camera ready, and be on left side of shuttle as you face forward. The shuttle dropped us near the gate, but still outside.

We reboarded ship,showered and caught a bite to eat in lido area.

NOTE hint: Many times family members head to grill,deli or center area. It can be difficult to coordinate a table or find one another. We found and called it "our table" that if you tell them--"we'll meet upstairs" one can easily find each other. It is easy to just get your food and go up the stairs just behind the dessert kiosk. There is a beverage center up there too. (although sometimes the tan glasses are gone-just use a coffee cup.) It is quiet,serene and often uncrowded.

Afterwards, we decided to head to downtown -Charlotte Amalie for shopping. We had to walkoutside gate and straight towards the Hooters restaurant to catch a "taxi" shuttle. It was $4 each to downtown.

Less than 5 min. away. Walkable yes, we have done it prior trips, and it may look short perhaps 20 min, but hot is hot.

Even after the ride to the beach, it strange to get used to driving on left side. 2260644440103372150S200x200Q85.jpg

The shuttle sropped us off at JH Riise.

2716581320103372150S425x425Q85.jpg2472976510103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

While we have enjoyed downtown area in past, we both agreed the unique shops have really disappeared, a lot of jewelry stores now, and just did not have the ambience it once did. Teh historic buildings are neat, but overall feel was not the same. I think since Havenisght Mall is so convenient to ship, many shops have moved there. We decided to head back to the ship as saw dark clouds over hills by ship dropping rain, stopped to quickly check out the straw vendors market and a downpour started. We took cover under a vendor tarp, and a taxi driver saw us was kind enough to say "back to ship" YES!

Now out of the rain, by the time we reached ship the sun was coming out, and pavement steaming. It was just too hot so back onto ship to relax in the a/c. We both agreed time would have been better spent just at Havensight and would not likely make any further trips downtown in future.

For those not having been to St.Thomas in a while, they started building a "Yacht Club" marina complex a few years ago. The complex was supposed to develop into upscale shopping, but for now seems to be stalled. Our cabin view allowed us to see the water tours returning (Snuba,catamarans etc.)

Our cabin 7312 is an even number (port side) and this faced the Charlotte Amalie shoreline as well as Yacht club marina. This was taken about 4:20 when clouds were just going away.

2287503360103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

2443574420103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

The other side of ship (odd numbered cabins and starboard side) had a view of gangway and Havensight shopping area, and hilltop area where Paradise Point trams go up hill.

St.Thomas sail away view at 5:36pm from cabin.

2063612490103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

St.Thomas Victory menu day 2

Starters:

2210778740103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Fried Mozarrella: Sliced Beef Tenderloin & Noodle salad

2166786790103372150S200x200Q85.jpg2324170980103372150S200x200Q85.jpg

Main Courses:

2227485670103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Commentary on entrees tonight-

My dad is a turkey lover and was way disappointed with Farfalle & turkey--very little turkey,a gooey mess. He almost considered returning dish. Mike my husband ordered the Seafood Newburg thinking he could scrape off sauce and eat seafood pieces. It was an orange-red mess. He hated it.

On a positive note-the lamb dish my mom had was recommended by waiter and he was correct, also able to fill her mint jelly request. Best entree of night. I personally was not feeling well, the seas were just a bit rough and only ordered appetizer,salad-waiter really wanted me to order an entree (almost like if I didn't someone was going to question why not) so he suggested a grilled chicken breast. average, at least it was not bland like a spa selection I have had on previous cruise.

Desserts:

2386051970103372150S600x600Q85.jpg

Sorry about the blur, later took a photo thru glass window where menus are posted as I had not stayed for dessert.

Dog?

2614882310103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

Great Review so far....buy far the most informative I have read to date about the victory so much good info!!! Thank you for your time that You have put into this to help other fellow cruisers!!!:)

I've been lurking :o but I decided to post to ask a question. The fun times with the schedules and maps and such ~ do you get those the night before you get to the island or in the morning? Thanks!

I've been lurking :o but I decided to post to ask a question. The fun times with the schedules and maps and such ~ do you get those the night before you get to the island or in the morning? Thanks!

Yes, your room steward will leave them on your bed while you are at dinner. You can also picked them up at Guest Relations and they hand out the same shopping maps as you are leaving the ship, if you forgot yours in the cabin.

You've done an excellent job of everything, and many thanks to your for whetting all of our vacation appetites...leaving on this itinerary on the fifth of August...can't wait!

Yes, your room steward will leave them on your bed while you are at dinner. You can also picked them up at Guest Relations and they hand out the same shopping maps as you are leaving the ship, if you forgot yours in the cabin.

Thanks Jeff!

Looking forward to more, Suzy. No pressure or anything. Okay, maybe a little bit. :D

I've got 2 months and 2 weeks! Can't get here soon enough!