Considering 2 week Med cruise on Insignia and have some questions

caviargal

Hello, all. I am an experienced cruiser (100 plus cruises) and have experienced a wide range of cruise lines, from Dolphin on the low end to Radisson Seven Seas on the luxury end. To date, my two Radisson Diamond cruises are the best cruise experiences I have had.

I have an appreciation for the finer things in life and am considering Oceania for a Med cruise. I have a few questions:

- Do the dining rooms offer tables for 2? My husband and I have very little time alone together and prefer to dine alone most nights. Is this readily available on Oceania?

- Not being a country club person, I am looking for a little more guidance on dress for a summer Med cruise. Would I pack similarly to sail as I would to spend a week at an upscale resort in the islands? For me, that would be a variety of silk wrap skirts, dressy pants in easy fabrics, etc. Is this appropriate?

- I am an avid exerciser who works out daily, whether at home or on vacation. Is the gym aboard the Insignia equipped with the necessary machines to allow me to keep up my workout? Are the classes aboard well executed with good instruction? For me, this is important so I would really appreciate some feedback from fellow exercise buffs who have sailed on the ship.

- If we choose not to spend the extra money on a verandah cabin, is there plenty of open deck space for watching the scenery? Oceania is at the high end of our budget for a cruise and I have read that many extras are quite pricey so we are thinking to compromise a bit on our stateroom to be able to enjoy more premium wines, etc.

- Is it still permitted to drink wine we would bring aboard in our cabin? I know that the corkage fee on Oceania has been increased to $25 per bottle in the dining room. This seems a bit steep to me but I imagine it successfully discourages passengers from bringing wine to dinner. We do enjoy doing this on occasion, especially in the Med where we have access to so many wonderful wines that we do not get at home.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

CG

- The Grand Dining Room has a number of tables for two. When we requested one, there was never a problem getting one (open seating). It was interesting to note that a lot of times we saw couples seated at a table for 2 talking to the couples next to them also seated at a table for 2 (the tables are about 1 foot apart). The specialty restaurants only have two tables for two each, and they went fast. Terrace Cafe has some 2 person tables inside and outside, as well as a number of four person tables that were often occupied by two people.

- Country club casual in the evenings is dressy slacks and blouses or dresses for women and slacks/collared shirts for men. No one would kick you out of the dining room for wearing a polo shirt (and some passengers were towards the end of the cruise), but most folks are dressed nicer than that. No need for gowns or ties, although some men do choose to wear a sport coat on some nights. In the evenings I wore the same clothes that I wear out to a nice dinner here in San Diego. During the daytime resort wear is fine -- shorts, lightweight pants, etc.

- The gym on Regatta had about 5 treadmills, 3 elliptical machines, and several upright/recumbant bikes. There were about a half dozen weight machines (mostly upper body) and an assortment of dumbells. Fitness classes (aerobics, pliates, yoga) are an extra cost (I believe $10 per session), and were not very well attended. Often they turned into a private session with the fitness instructor. There is a jogging track above the pool that gives great, high-level views off the port and starboard sides of the ship. You can get a good workout in, but may want to time your workout when the gym is less busy. We noted that it was very busy in the mid morning and mid afternoon.

- There is plenty of space to watch scenery. Indoors, the Horizons lounge has a panoramic 180 view from the front of the ship. A continental breakfast and afternoon tea are served in this room, and we sat and read there many times. The spacious port and starboard decks off Deck 5 were seldom used (perhaps because they are lower than the sundeck and jogging track). The area around the pool has tinted windows which are not the best for viewing scenery, but many of the lounge chairs are well shaded. The aerobics equipment in the gym is up against a row of windows so you get a good view there as well. I think you can get by without a balcony.

- You can drink whatever you want to bring aboard in your cabin. Oceania does not "store" your alcohol purcahses for you like some other cruise lines. What you bring aboard stays with you, and you can choose to drink it onboard or take it home with you. When you buy wine onboard, they will store the open bottle and bring it to you at any restaurant or bar on the ship at a later point.

Good luck on Oceania. I think you will enjoy the experience. Overall, Oceania should come close to your Radisson experience (but you'll have to pay for the extras).

Archived