Back from the Glory - some thoughts

mruddle

Just back from the July 12 sailing of the Glory. We traveled with our 16 and 20 year old children and had a great time. I was a little concerned before we left that they wouldn't like the itinerary, but they loved it.

- Embarkation was so easy. This is our 5th Carnival cruise, and this was the best for both embarkation and debarkation. We arrived by cab at the port around 10:40. We were on the ship by 11:45. We did self-assist debarking and were off the ship by 8:30 a.m.

- The ship is very well kept. The staff were very friendly for the most part. I don't know if they like this itinerary very well, but we met a lot of really hard-working people. I did observe some guests who were extremely rude to some of the staff. I hate that.

- We had Anytime Dining. This is the 2nd time we have chosen this, and we knew what to expect. You may have to wait if you eat later than 7:00, but it usually isn't very long. Elegant night does get backed up. We went about 6:30 and only had to wait about 15 minutes. We expected it to be longer. There were some very unhappy people that night and they let it be known. I think that the anytime dining is a little understaffed. The main waiters work extremely hard, but it messes them up because people are constantly being seated. We knew that we might have to wait even after being seated and we were fine with it. Don't sign up for this if you like a lot of attention at dinner. It worked for us. Enough said.

- Room steward, Ray, was great. We were in two inside rooms on the Main deck. I have no idea how he knows when we left, but the room was always clean when we came back. We tipped him extra at the end of the week. Having to put up with two teenagers in a room - whew!

- Food. What can I say. I love food. There was a lot of it. Some better than others. If you don't like it, order something else. I heard a lot of complaining, but I always found something that I liked. Burrito bar was good. I wish it had been open longer. Deli was good. Pizza is all the way at the back of the boat, so I think it took a couple of days for people to find it. We followed the tip from these message boards about going upstairs to find a table, Worked everytime! Thanks!

- Entertainment - I don't want to get flamed here, so I will say it was fine for us. It did seem like some nights had a lot of shows/ activities and then other nights there wasn't much. That being said, we always found something to do. Music was good. We saw the first show, but missed the second. Comedy was not very good at all. I was kind of embarrassed for the guy because no one was laughing. Lots of trivia... I will say after 5 cruises, I think that Carnival needs to come up with some new daytime activities. You could tell during some of the trivia games that there were people who had heard it all before. They knew all the answers. Not a complaint, but a suggestion!

Club O2 - My 16 year old had a great time. She went the first night and met a lot of kids She stayed at the Club every night from around 9:00 - 1:00. We would walk by and look in and she was always playing games.

Ports - We loved them both. Saint John - We went ziplining over the Reversing Falls. Amazing. I recommend it to anyone. We also ate at Billy's Seafood - good

Halifax - I love this town. We did the ship's Titanic/Peggy's Cove tour. Our guide, Ellen, was wonderful. We learned so much, and Peggy's Cove is like nothing I have ever seen. Both my kids loved the tour.

Random thoughts -

Carnival needs to do a meet and greet the first night for 18-20 year olds. They really are a lost group. It wouldn't need to be much, but I think it would be great.

Take clothes for all kinds of weather. It may change within hours. There were a lot of people complaining because they didn't even bring a sweatshirt. In Saint John we wore jeans and sweatshirts, but in Halifax the next day it was sunny and low 80's. Just be ready.

Out of 5 cruises, this cruise had the fewest people who dressed up on Elegant night. There were some who did, including ourselves, but there were a lot who did not. The lady who was screaming and telling off the host staff at dinner that night had on shorts and a polo. Interesting.

Drinks were tasty. I did notice that there are a whole lot fewer people drinking alcohol on this itinerary. You could tell the bar waiters were a little frustrated. I did my share to make them happy. Wink Wink.

We would do this itinerary again in a minute. I think I would even like the 7 day that stops at more ports. Canada is beautiful. There were a lot of people from New York and New Jersey on the ship. I would say at least 85%. We were from West Virginia and people kept asking about our accents! Even the guy from Croatia told us we talked funny. I thought that was a hoot! Enjoy!

Just back from the July 12 sailing of the Glory. We traveled with our 16 and 20 year old children and had a great time. I was a little concerned before we left that they wouldn't like the itinerary, but they loved it.

- Embarkation was so easy. This is our 5th Carnival cruise, and this was the best for both embarkation and debarkation. We arrived by cab at the port around 10:40. We were on the ship by 11:45. We did self-assist debarking and were off the ship by 8:30 a.m.

Since you are from West Virginia, did you drive into NYC? If so where did you leave your car at?

I'm going in a week and wasn't going to do any tours but after reading your review I think I'd like to do the two you mentioned. I didn't see the zipline tour offered, was this through carnival? Which Peggy's Cove tour did you go on?

I'm going in a week and wasn't going to do any tours but after reading your review I think I'd like to do the two you mentioned. I didn't see the zipline tour offered, was this through carnival? Which Peggy's Cove tour did you go on?

I was able to find the zip line tour -- does anyone know what a good time for a self-book tour would be? They start as early as 9am. Thanks.

I'm on the 7/26 Glory if anyone else is on that cruise and interested in doing the zip line.

http://www.saintjohnadventures.ca/

I enjoyed your review and I am glad you had a good time.

I will be on Glory in September for 5 nights.

I had a Your Time Dining reserved earlier, but after I did some research here in Cruise Critic, I switched to Early Seating. Since I will be with my parents and young kids, I would rather have a table set for us every night with same waiters.

Can't wait to be on her!

We flew from WV into LaGuardia a day early. I am always nervous that something will happen and we won't make it. WV driving and NYC driving is waaay different :)

We booked an 11:00 ziplining tour. That is ship time. That gave us plenty of time to eat breakfast and take a taxi (we were really early, but they were very nice about it). That also left us a lot of time to tour the City Market, eat lunch, and just take in the sights.

We booked Carnival's Titanic/Peggy's Cove Tour. I didn't see it on the shore excursions before we left, but it was there when we checked after boarding. It is the same price as the Halifax/Peggy's Cove Tour and we still heard a lot about Halifax. I think it was only offered at 1:30. We got back just in time to board. That left us time to do the Maritime Museum in the morning. I am really glad we booked something in both ports. One of the best cruises we have been on.

@ mruddle: Thanks. I booked the Peggys Cove but the one with the Titantic wasn't until later in the day and wanted the morning one. I'll see if they have a waiting list as the Titanic sounds interesting. The cemetary looks like it is close enough to walk or taxi too.

I'm a single traveler so hoping to find someone else that wants to do the zip line. The company has no bookings yet for that day which means I could be the only one.

Sounds like a wonderful trip, I am sooo looking forward to it.

Yes, the elegant night is the 2nd night of the cruise. I don't think a lot of people know about the ziplining yet since they just opened this month. My daughter was telling her O2 counselor about it, and he was pretty excited to get the opportunity to do something different. We told a lot of people about it, and they said they wished they had known. You might try posting on the Port of Call page...

Yes, the elegant night is the 2nd night of the cruise. I don't think a lot of people know about the ziplining yet since they just opened this month. My daughter was telling her O2 counselor about it, and he was pretty excited to get the opportunity to do something different. We told a lot of people about it, and they said they wished they had known. You might try posting on the Port of Call page...

I booked the zipline. None of the other ones were jumping out at me. I did post info on it for our cruise and also on our cruise page on facebook and the company said they get some drop-ins when the ships come in. I'm so looking forward to it.

Do you have pics?

OP I totally agree with your review of the comedy. One of the comedians....don't remember his name...the bald guy....left a lot to be desired...it was vulgar and not the least bit funny...people kept walking out...i felt bad for him as well so i stayed..believe me I'm not easily offended but it was over the top gross if you ask me!

I totally agree with the meet and greet for 18 - 20 year olds. I really feel like that group is left out! My now 17 year old loved Club 02 last summer...but when he goes next summer he'll be 18...too young to drink...and no where to go!

@ mruddle: Thanks. I booked the Peggys Cove but the one with the Titantic wasn't until later in the day and wanted the morning one. I'll see if they have a waiting list as the Titanic sounds interesting. The cemetary looks like it is close enough to walk or taxi too.

I'm a single traveler so hoping to find someone else that wants to do the zip line. The company has no bookings yet for that day which means I could be the only one.

Sounds like a wonderful trip, I am sooo looking forward to it.

I am on the 7/26/2010 cruise, see you there

I'm on the 7/31 sailing and think my hubby is going to do the zipline (my feet are staying on the ground) while in St. John's. What is the difference between ship time and local time?

Looking to do the 9am zip line but do you think we should do the 11am in stead? How long was the cab ride and do you remember how much?

The cab ride was about 10 minutes and was $10.00. We took a taxi back to the City Market. It was $10.00 also. It depends on how early you want to get off the ship. The whole zip experience took about an hour and a half. We still had plenty of time to walk around Saint John. Eleven gave us time to sleep in a little and eat breakfast.

Archived