Anyone competed in Master Mixologist Competition?

do you know if fresh fruit was allowed to be added? I am trying to shy away from the reconstituted heavily sugared fruit juices.

also when you enter, it was mentioned that you check off the ingredients you're using..but don't you also enter in the recipe itself? surely they don't pick the finalists just from a list of ingredients, do they?

Do they do this on all sailings? Sounds like a blast!!:D

They've done it on all of the sailings I've been on. All of which were the caribbean or Mexican Riviera, so I am not sure about Alaskan cruises.

do you know if fresh fruit was allowed to be added? I am trying to shy away from the reconstituted heavily sugared fruit juices.

also when you enter, it was mentioned that you check off the ingredients you're using..but don't you also enter in the recipe itself? surely they don't pick the finalists just from a list of ingredients, do they?

They did not have fresh fruit, other than for the garnish. They would probably charge you a lot extra for the drink if they actually had fresh fruit in them. :)

If you are chosen as a finalist you have to meet the day before the competition and make the drink for the head bartender, who has to approve the recipe.

By the way, you are judged on 4 things: the look of the drink, a creative name, how it tastes and your personality as you are making it for the crowd and judges.

• 2 years later...
I wonder if it varies from ship to ship. My daughter definitely mixed it herself. When she poured the frozen drink into the glass it came out of the blender in one big clump and splashed all over the glass and table. It was caught on video so we could taunt her with it over and over. :)

I am positive that beer wasn't one of the choices on the Liberty though.

Was on Legend in March and the contestants prepared their own drinks, the bartender was there to help as needed.

On my wedding cruise one of my girlfriends won, this was when the contest first started and they seemed to allow you to use as much liquor (top shelf too) as you wanted but during the week the drink kept getting more and more watered down until it eventually tasted nothing like what she made, but it was still fun to experience!

• 7 months later...

I won the. Mixologist Contest on my last cruise on the Sunshine! It was the only time I had ever entered and was scared since I rarely drink alcohol. We were able to use either rum or Tequilla. We had the option of adding specified additional liqueurs, up to three. Then we had the mixers, which I chose orange you ice and pineapple juice. The judges were the bar manager, the assistant CD, and an audience member who volunteered (she happened to be one of the male contestants mom). Those who were in the final competition were selected from their entry forms. It depends on ingredients and the name of the drink. It is all about a catchy phrase and presentation. A bartender is there with you to get your ice and prepare the shaker. They also pour the drinks. My drink did not look as pretty as I had hoped, but I played it off saying it looked like the Mississippi River since we had cruised down it on our way to the Gulf of Mexico. The mom of one of the contestants kept wanting to vote for her son, but I think I won her over with my dance moves.....lol. My drink was featured the rest of the week and I won 4 drink coupons, which I never used since I am not a drinker....LOL. I mainly entered so I could win a Ship on a Stick for my daughter, but the ship was out of them. It was a fun experience and I admit I had a blast!

• 4 weeks later...
I won 4 drink coupons, which I never used since I am not a drinker....LOL. I mainly entered so I could win a Ship on a Stick for my daughter, but the ship was out of them. It was a fun experience and I admit I had a blast!

If you still have those drink coupons I am sure I have a ship to trade you :) & I am in Tulsa often since we just moved from there :)

Plaris@sbcglobal.net

• 3 months later...