Passports

Harbie

Or those that think they will be held captive at a cruise port without their passport:D

Perhaps you shouldn't put words in people's mouths. Comes off as a bit desperate to make your point. Please quote where anyone said anything about holding anyone "captive". You cannot re-enter the US by air from a foreign country without a passport. No one is holding anyone captive. They just can't do what they desire to do.

[

Perhaps you shouldn't put words in people's mouths. Comes off as a bit desperate to make your point. Please quote where anyone said anything about holding anyone "captive". You cannot re-enter the US by air from a foreign country without a passport. No one is holding anyone captive. They just can't do what they desire to do.

After you quote who said this:

Those that think every person is port wants to rob them, beat them, and leave them naked in an alley.

Nobody is telling you not to take your passport........take it if you feel more comfortable........

We do too many water activities to have to be worried about trying to keep a passport safe from either being stolen or damaged. Especially when on a cruise when the ship has a policy of getting your passport and other valuables to the port agent.

For us the chances of damaging or losing the passport on a cruise out weigh the chances I will not have it even if I need to fly back to the U.S.. Knowing I left it in the cabin safe to begin in the first place.

We do too many water activities to have to be worried about trying to keep a passport safe from either being stolen or damaged. Especially when on a cruise when the ship has a policy of getting your passport and other valuables to the port agent.

I've traveled in Europe enough times to feel good about my ability to keep my passport safe from pickpockets under normal conditions. But I think the chances are fairly high that it could be lost, stolen, or damaged on our excursions in port because we do so many water activities. If I was doing different types of excursions, I'd feel confident of my ability to safeguard my passport (unless robbed at gunpoint, in which case the least of my worries is my passport), but we usually spend most of our time in the water, on the beach, etc., so these are times when I just have to take my chances and trust that the odds of missing the ship are less than being separated from my passport or damaging it while in port.

I totally understand the opposite point of view, though.

Would you care to point out where CCL says the port agent will have your stuff should you miss the ship? While I have no doubt that this happens, I'd like to see where it says that in the ticket contract.

Also, they make nice little waterproof pouches now, so you can keep your documents dry even while doing water activities.

You probably opened up another can of worms as this subject has been argued back and forth for quite awhile. You'll get the whole "what if you miss the ship, etc" replies but that is such a rare circumstance, I don't follow that reasoning personally.

No, I do not take my PP onshore and leave in the safe.

Someone mentioned on another thread you could take your passport off the ship and leave your passport card on the ship. That seems like a good idea if you're nervous about not carrying your passport and also if you're nervous about it being stolen and being left w/o proper id. Myself I just take my sail and sign with me and don't worry too much about it.

Or how they think every resident of every country that isn't the US is looking to steal their identity.

...actually, I'm all for being safe when traveling to different countries especially ones that cater to tourist, it's a red flag for thefts because people can be stupid when they travel.....leaving expensive things in a rental car....things like that...be careful.....AND of course this goes for other people traveling into the US in large tourist filled cities like NY.

....to be clear....I'm a US citizen....but it's silly to think that you don't need your passport in a different country, a passport (your PASS in and out of a PORT) is your ticket in and out of a different country, why wouldn't you take it when you enter a different country.

...Oh...you can debate this all you want...it's the recommendation of the US Embassy that ALL US citizens (and that applies to cruise passengers) carry their passport on their person when entering a different country.

I'd stick with their suggestions, not a cruise line or fellow cruisers. ;)

....to be clear....I'm a US citizen....but it's silly to think that you don't need your passport in a different country, a passport (your PASS in and out of a PORT) is your ticket in and out of a different country, why wouldn't you take it when you enter a different country.

I've never heard of anyone being unable to get home because they didn't have their passport on them. It's not really that big of a deal.

....you'd get home, but it would be easier and FASTER with your passport.

Say you were stranded for whatever reason.....if this happens and you want to catch the ship at the next port or just back to the US which is a different country than where you are....you take a taxi to the airport and with your passport book a flight....if you do not have that passport (and a copy doesn't count) you have to go find the US embassy where ever you are and explain what happened and it could be a day or two before they get it straightened out. A copy helps but it wont serve as a passport.

BTW - I was on an excursion in Belize, and we made the ship by about 5 minutes, they had pulled everything and we're packing to leave. It was only by a death defying ride down the one way streets of Belize that we made it. AND I had nagged and cried to the guy all along to get us back to the ship, to no avail...so, it can happen. Enjoy the best and plan for the worse case.

....you'd get home, but it would be easier and FASTER with your passport.

Say you were stranded for whatever reason.....if this happens and you want to catch the ship at the next port or just back to the US which is a different country than where you are....you take a taxi to the airport and with your passport book a flight....if you do not have that passport (and a copy doesn't count) you have to go find the US embassy where ever you are and explain what happened and it could be a day or two before they get it straightened out. A copy helps but it wont serve as a passport.

BTW - I was on an excursion in Belize, and we made the ship by about 5 minutes, they had pulled everything and we're packing to leave. It was only by a death defying ride down the one way streets of Belize that we made it. AND I had nagged and cried to the guy all along to get us back to the ship, to no avail...so, it can happen. Enjoy the best and plan for the worse case.

This has already been hashed out a million times......most of those small Caribbean islands only have a few flights out a day....and they are fully booked.......what makes you think you can just hop on a plane:confused:

But if you almost missed the ship by 5 minutes......I agree with you......YOU should bring your passport with you;)

I've never heard of anyone being unable to get home because they didn't have their passport on them. It's not really that big of a deal.

As someone who doesn't bring the passport with them while at ports, I'll say your statement is only partly true. Eventually you get home if you are a US citizen. "Not that big of a deal" is debatable. It might happen quickly, or you could be delayed by a couple of days and considerable expense. Some might consider that "a big deal." There have been reports here on these boards from folks who had to go through that and they have not reported that it was "not that big of a deal." I've not read of any stories where it was an easy breezy task flying home sans passport. But you are right-you won't be left in limbo land forever, a person without country. Eventually, you'll get home.

As someone who doesn't bring the passport with them while at ports, I'll say your statement is only partly true. Eventually you get home if you are a US citizen. "Not that big of a deal" is debatable. It might happen quickly, or you could be delayed by a couple of days and considerable expense. Some might consider that "a big deal." There have been reports here on these boards from folks who had to go through that and they have not reported that it was "not that big of a deal." I've not read of any stories where it was an easy breezy task flying home sans passport. But you are right-you won't be left in limbo land forever, a person without country. Eventually, you'll get home.

I can agree with that.

we TA'd to Barcelona, another Med 7 day, then 3 days back in BCN. Teavelmate left her PP in her tote,to go to bank for cash Euros, got pickpocketed on the subway, a team of 2 men pushed her, her copy was in the PP case @$*^$#%&^%# ??? !!!. My copies of hers and mine were at hotel. It was late Fri aft. The consulate opens Mon at 9am..our flights back to USA were a 7am showtime for 11am flights. She reported to subway police for a police report, got copy of it, and showed up at airport 2 hrs earlier.. Delta rep had phone # of consul person, they chatted, the rep let her on the flight w/me. she had to do the same convincing story at JFK Imigration. It was a breeze..man told her to "just get on outta heah", and we made the leg home. Not saying all will be treated the same, but it worked for her.FYI, our money and CC's were in "that secret ladies place"..and being a PP with the immbed chip, doubtful it was of much use, and probly ended up in the trash. A new PP is on its way to her. We did enjoy the rest of our weekend in Barcelona..TAKE COPIES of all in your party..we got the 200% color size from Office Depot..money wellll spent

Would you care to point out where CCL says the port agent will have your stuff should you miss the ship? While I have no doubt that this happens, I'd like to see where it says that in the ticket contract.

Also, they make nice little waterproof pouches now, so you can keep your documents dry even while doing water activities.

First of all every procedure that a ship uses will not be in a ticket contract. Here is a response a manager of a ship replied back to this very question some time ago:

This sort of thing happens all the time. On a large ship - like the one I manage - every cruise we have at least one cabin that misses the ship at a port.

Ship Security searches their cabin for passports and valuables, and secures them.

Passports go to the port agent before we depart. Agent arranges visas for those left behind.

The port agent assists in getting the tardy passengers back to our home port (At passenger's expense).

Cabin steward packs up their belongings.

The suitcases are offloaded and waiting at Customs when the passengers come to pick them up.

we TA'd to Barcelona, another Med 7 day, then 3 days back in BCN. Teavelmate left her PP in her tote,to go to bank for cash Euros, got pickpocketed on the subway, a team of 2 men pushed her, her copy was in the PP case @$*^$#%&^%# ??? !!!. My copies of hers and mine were at hotel. It was late Fri aft. The consulate opens Mon at 9am..our flights back to USA were a 7am showtime for 11am flights. She reported to subway police for a police report, got copy of it, and showed up at airport 2 hrs earlier.. Delta rep had phone # of consul person, they chatted, the rep let her on the flight w/me. she had to do the same convincing story at JFK Imigration. It was a breeze..man told her to "just get on outta heah", and we made the leg home. Not saying all will be treated the same, but it worked for her.FYI, our money and CC's were in "that secret ladies place"..and being a PP with the immbed chip, doubtful it was of much use, and probly ended up in the trash. A new PP is on its way to her. We did enjoy the rest of our weekend in Barcelona..TAKE COPIES of all in your party..we got the 200% color size from Office Depot..money wellll spent

My DW is an flight attendant with a major airline and has had at least two flights were passengers on board did not have their passports and were allowed to board. She does not have all of the details but when they arrived in the U.S. TSA/Customs met the passengers at the jet way questioned them and then sent them on their way.

I don't believe this is true for European ports.

I recently took a Greek Isle cruise. All non EU citizens had their passports taken at embarkation and given back the last night of the cruise. So I couldnt have taken my passport in the ports even if I wanted to.

I never take my passport with me to port in the Caribbean. It stays in my cabin safe. Some of the people I cruise with don't even have a passport.

Do you honestly believe that your license or credit cards aren't as valuable?

Really, folks, the hysterics you all go into over this issue is quite laughable. Not only can your identity be stolen just as easily at home, you could potentially be left in a foreign country and have throw yourself on the mercy of the US Consolate or Embassy to assist you, and pay the price for it as well.

Perhaps if people just kept track of their stuff they wouldn't be at risk of losing it. If someone is going to rob you, they're doing it because you're an easy mark and not because you have a passport.

You can believe the hosts and the Hysterical Helens on this board or you can believe the former US Embassador to West Germany who recommends that no American leave their home soil without a passport on their person, not locked in a safe, not with a copy on them, not with it locked in the safe deposit box at home.

Where did this come from ??????? :rolleyes: .

Not sure that was an answer to the OP's questions or maybe a lecture to all of us.......... or jsut another condescending post maybe?

Archived