Kids club/Nick feedback

nccruiser4

Hi all,

We are cruising on July 31st and I would love some feedback on the kids club and Nick activities (slime time - anything else?). I've got a 9 and a 10 yr. old. They've loved the Disney club in the past - we thought this would be a fun change. Plus, the water slides, rock climbing wall, etc...

Thanks to the info on this board, we are preparing to smoosh into our family balcony!!

Only 2 weeks to go!!

Hi all,

We are cruising on July 31st and I would love some feedback on the kids club and Nick activities (slime time - anything else?). I've got a 9 and a 10 yr. old. They've loved the Disney club in the past - we thought this would be a fun change. Plus, the water slides, rock climbing wall, etc...

Thanks to the info on this board, we are preparing to smoosh into our family balcony!!

Only 2 weeks to go!!

I have two teens (13 & 14) and it looks like we'll be squeezing in right along with you. Disney cabins are big and roomy ... RCL have been completely comfortable too. I'm a little nervous about EPIC after everything I've been reading! My kids are at that "middle" age where one day they're kids and the next day they're teenagers. They won't admit it, but I think they're going to like watching (if not participating) in the slime activities on board too.

I'm travelling with 2 toddlers, ages 3.5 years and 17 months old. We will be "smooshing" into an Inside Stateroom, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! It was ~$700 cheaper than a regular Balcony room.

Looking forward to the Nickelodeon characters on board. Kids are getting excited showing them YouTube videos of the Character Breakfast.

9/11/10 sailing can't come fast enough!!!!!!!!

I was on the July 10th cruise with 2 children (boys) ages 9 and 14. My teen loved teen club and made many friends. My 9 year old wasn't as happy with the kid club. The problem was that he was 2 weeks shy of 10 years old and the age group he was put in was the 6 - 9 year olds (some children had just turned 6 and were in 1st grade he is in 5th grade...this is a big developmental and physical difference). We tried everything to have him moved up but the age brackets are set in stone! He felt as if he was too old for the group. The 6 - 9 year old group seemed to gear most of the activity toward the younger age. He was very disappointed when he watched the 10-12 year old playing dodge ball and other fun games and he was doing puzzles and jenga.

They both loved the Nick Slime Time Live! The slides and sports court were very crowded so they enjoyed it as much as they could. They also bowled and played WII on the big screen. Do not go on this cruise thinking that the pool area will be entertaining for them for a long period of time. It is a small area and the pools were tiny and crowded.

I was on the July 10th cruise with 2 children (boys) ages 9 and 14. My teen loved teen club and made many friends. My 9 year old wasn't as happy with the kid club. The problem was that he was 2 weeks shy of 10 years old and the age group he was put in was the 6 - 9 year olds (some children had just turned 6 and were in 1st grade he is in 5th grade...this is a big developmental and physical difference). We tried everything to have him moved up but the age brackets are set in stone! He felt as if he was too old for the group. The 6 - 9 year old group seemed to gear most of the activity toward the younger age. He was very disappointed when he watched the 10-12 year old playing dodge ball and other fun games and he was doing puzzles and jenga.

They both loved the Nick Slime Time Live! The slides and sports court were very crowded so they enjoyed it as much as they could. They also bowled and played WII on the big screen. Do not go on this cruise thinking that the pool area will be entertaining for them for a long period of time. It is a small area and the pools were tiny and crowded.

That's too bad!! Were there no other 9 year olds that he could 'band with'? Up until our upcoming Epic cruise, we've always sailed in off season, so our daughter has sometimes been the only kid her age in the Kid's Crew at a given time, but she would just end up helping with the smaller kids. That's an entirely different thing, though, than seeing a group of kids TWO WEEKS older than you enjoying organized activities that appeal to you while you're 'babysitting'. :(

Whenever I look at a ship's pool area, I can't help but compare it to the pools on the ships I sailed as a kid, and no matter how 'small' they may appear now, they're HUGE compared to those little bathtubs!! :p Thanks for the tip, though; fortunately we don't usually spend that much time in the pool area anyway, and I expect most of it on this trip will be spent standing in line for the slides! :)

My girls are 6 & 9 (both just turned those ages). Do you happen to remember what any of the kids club activities were for that group? Did they do a dinner for the 6-9's? Did he enjoy the bungee jump thing or rock wall?

That is too bad they wouldn't let him switch. Other lines we have sailed before will make exceptions when it is 6 months or less of an age difference. They even let my daughter switch when she was a year different on Disney.

When I asked my son what kind of games that they played he said they were made up games???? Besides the board games they played some type of imaginative games. He said they were fun but the 10-12 year olds were playing more fun ball games.

I actually begged not only my concierge but the head of the kid program and they said that the ages are non negotiable and this came from corporate. If you weren't 10 years old that day, you needed to go in the 6-9 year old group.

As far as dinner....he never went during dinner hours but I thought, and don't quote me, that there was a fee for kids club dinner. I remember being surprised by this because on other cruise lines I don't remember paying any fee.... But I could be wrong because my son didn't want much to do with the camp so asking him to stay during a meal would have been torture.

Also......The kids are not allowed to check themselves in and out of the club until they are teens. This may be a good idea for some but not even my teen could check my younger son in and out of the camp. So I had to promise my son that I would check on him often to see if he wanted out. I know it sounds lazy butttttt what a pain in the but!

• 2 months later...

Archived